Answered

Is it possible to stream from WD My Cloud Home without using the Sonos My Cloud Home music service?

• 5 March 2021
  • 5 replies

Hi,

I recently bought a Western Digital (WD) My Cloud Home in hopes of using it in conjunction with Sonos to stream a collection of live recordings that I have saved on a hard drive. The only option is to play these files from a hard drive as they are not recordings that exist on streaming services.

I got the My Cloud Home set up and connected to my Sonos system and I can play files using the “My Cloud Home” music service that can be added to the Sonos controller.

The problem I’m having, though, is that the Sonos My Cloud Home service only recognizes a some of the files in my collection, and many of the others don’t show up and are thus inaccessible.

Does anyone know if there is another way to stream music files from a WD My Cloud Home device without going through the Sonos My Cloud Home music service?

Thanks,

Jon

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 5 March 2021, 04:45

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

I don’t use the ‘myCloud’ service. I just followed the FAQ on how to set up a generic NAS as a music server for Sonos, and made sure to turn on SMB v1, and use that process. 

Thanks Bruce, I really appreciate your response.

Is the My Cloud product that you have the My Cloud Home, or is it some other product like the My Cloud EX Ultra?

I could not figure out how to turn on SMB v1 on the My Cloud Home, and I talked to WD tech support about it and they were not much help.

The device I have appears to be called the ‘WDMyCloudMirror’ according to the firmware update email it sent me last night. 

There is a fairly extensive discussion in this thread on how to turn on SMB v1:

Thanks again for all this info.

Deleted - already covered by @Airgetlam