Question

iplayer radio

• 14 March 2013
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 2
Does Sonos connect to iplayer radio?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +3
Hello User593774, Sonos does not connect you iPlayer Radio service. But most on the radio stations that iPlayer Radio offers you can search the name of the radio station. If you don't find the radio you wish, you can add the station manually. Sonos currently supports MP3, AAC and WMA streaming audio formats, and you must have the streaming URL. Here is the FAQ from our web site: https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/264/kw/add%20radio Thank you Max P.
Userlevel 1
Badge
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Streaming from... Google Play Music, iPlayer Radio. Hi,

Can I stream Google Play Music and iPlayer Radio?

I think its a bit poor that you put the BBC logo on your adverts but don't have proper support for iplayer. I can't imagine it would be very hard to add. After all loads of other devices have added proper iplayer support.
Lack of support for the BBC Iplayer radio app is the one downside to Sonos.  Waiting for the podcast to be available days later really is not good enough for Radio 4 fans.  Sonos, please do something about this - I am sure you are losing business because of this.  
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled BBC iPlayer on Sonos. Ok , my Squeezbox is playing up so I ask for advise on alternatives , Sonos is mentioned but after a bit of research I find out it will not support iPlayer , I think I'll have to look at other options or maybe get the Squeezebox sorted . Sonos are missing a trick in the UK on not supporting iPlayer .
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Why on earth haven't Sonos developed an iPlayer add on. It seems such a massive o....
How is it that internet based Sonos does not support internet based BBC iPlayer so you can catch up on any BBC music program.
It could go in the Free Music Services, I'm sure the BBC would approve!!!!
How is it that internet based Sonos does not support internet based BBC iPlayer so you can catch up on any BBC music program.
It could go in the Free Music Services, I'm sure the BBC would approve!!!!

Sonos will support any service that wishes to join the Sonos Music Partners program, either by integrating with the Sonos app, or using the new Sonos Direct Control interface which allows playing to Sonos from a native app. Joining as a Music Partner is open to any and all services in the world, and it's free.

http://musicpartners.sonos.com/?q=node/21

At this time, nobody knows why the BBC has not integrated their iPlayer with Sonos, but considering Sonos cannot legally access BBC content without their permission, the ball would seem to be in the BBC's court.

In the meantime, TuneIn, the radio service used by Sonos, includes many (but not all) BBC stations and archived content. Search in the TuneIn section of your app to see what is offered.
Userlevel 4
Badge +13
I wonder though if Sonos cannot legally access BBC content without their permission, how come TuneIn can? Why have they been given permission?