Answered

iPhone Music Keeps Skipping to The Next Song

While I’m streaming music from my Sonos app a song will sometimes play half way through and then skip to the next song! There’s no consistency, sometimes it’s 10 seconds in, sometimes close to the end! It’s starting to upset me a lot. Is there a fix or recommendation to keep this from happening?

icon

Best answer by Edward R 27 June 2019, 13:16

The content in this thread concerns an issue which is no longer topical. For a more up-to-date perspective on playing from iOS devices, please refer to this thread: Upcoming changes to ‘On this iPhone or iPad’ Playback.
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

28 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Hi there, KoolKid1911. Thanks for posting and welcome to the Community. If you are streaming content directly from your phone, it is possible that the phone is unable to maintain a connection with low enough latency to keep playback running smoothly. If Sonos thinks a file is missing, it will automatically skip to the next track to attempt to keep the music going. Does this only happen when playing content downloaded to your phone, or does this happen with all types of audio content?

Thanks!
I started having the same problem on my iPhone 6s after I updated the ios software. Here is my fix:
On "Display and Brightness" check the Auto-Lock to Never. Next, turn the Brightness to low in order to save the battery life.
The skip happens every time the iPhone goes to Auto Lock. By forcing the iPhone to not go on Auto Lock, the streaming is continuous.
Be sure to put the iPhone back on your preferred Auto Lock setting when you're done with using Sonos.
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
I’m having the same issue with songs from my iPhone playlist skipping about ~2:00 mins in. Note: skipping does not happens when streaming music from Pandora.

I read post where users mentioned playlist songs skip when the iPhone auto-lock activates. I tested this with an iPhone 8 and SE and the result is...yes playlist songs will only skip when the auto-lock activates.

My setup: Playbar, two Play1s, Sonos sub

Used the same playlist throughout the test, router and sonos system are in the same room and one Play1 is connected to the router via ethernet.

My findings:
1. Playlist songs skipped when auto-lock was set at 1, 2 & 3 min and skipping happened at the set auto-lock time. After the first song skipped, other songs randomly skipped at different times during playback.

2. Checked the phones when the skip occurred and I got this message “cannot play “song name” because connection to your sonos system was lost” - notice that it does not say internet or wifi

3. Turned auto-lock off and kept the sonos app on iPhone screen and playlist did not skip a song (left my playlist on for 1 hour straight)

Seems to be an issue with the auto-lock and the sonos app. Can somebody from sonos recreate this test and fix the issue?
Userlevel 3
Badge
This issue is only getting worse. It’s not really Apple’s responsibility to ensure compatibility with Sonos, it’s the other way around. Millions of people have iPhones. Sonos is sold boasting playability from multiple devices, not least of which are iPhones. This is deceptive marketing if the engineers at Sonos can’t figure out a way to ensure a user-friendly experience between the speakers and an iPhone. Why is the system’s instinct to skip tracks when/if there is a network interruption? Why not just pinpoint the moment in the track when the interruption occurred and restore playback there? It wouldn’t be a perfect fix but I’d rather deal with a brief skip and resume than losing the place in the track and advancing to the next song, which will itself be stopped and skipped within a couple minutes.
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
Sonos,

Are there people there that can actually provide a solution to this? There seems to be a lot of Sonos owners that have the same exact problem, so I can’t imagine it would be difficult to recreate the issue. Can we escalate this bug and get a response from someone at Sonos that can actually help?
Also having this issue, but I tested out the auto-lock solution to no avail. iPhone 8 and Play:1. Songs *only* skip when they are playing from a playlist...same music played from an album streams just fine. No problems with any other music platform.
That would lead me to believe that you're experiencing a different problem. I'd recommend that you submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of replicating this issue, and contact Sonos to discuss it. There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
Also having this issue, but I tested out the auto-lock solution to no avail. iPhone 8 and Play:1. Songs *only* skip when they are playing from a playlist...same music played from an album streams just fine. No problems with any other music platform.

Hi Jenzee. A couple of other ridiculous things need to happen in addition to turning off auto-lock to listen your playlist. You may be doing this already, but thought I’d share what I’ve done for a workaround. 1) Sonos app must be on the phone screen the entire time you’re listening. 2) The phone screen must be on...do not turn screen off with the power button on iphone for example. 3) Limit web browsing, texting or general phone use while playing your music. Absurd, I know, but this is the level of usability Sonos has provided to customers. Hope this helps.

Anyone from Sonos willing to step up and escalate this issue?
I'm unsure of what sort of escalation you're looking for.

Sonos has indicated in multiple threads that they are working on the issue. Other than releasing a fix, there's not much escalation that can happen.

And I'm assuming that they're still testing any fix that they've come up with. You wouldn't want them to release a "fix" without further testing, would you? Something that could potentially break other areas of the product? They've already failed with this release, I'd expect them to be sure to have all ducks in a row before releasing a "fix".
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
I'm unsure of what sort of escalation you're looking for.

Sonos has indicated in multiple threads that they are working on the issue. Other than releasing a fix, there's not much escalation that can happen.

And I'm assuming that they're still testing any fix that they've come up with. You wouldn't want them to release a "fix" without further testing, would you? Something that could potentially break other areas of the product? They've already failed with this release, I'd expect them to be sure to have all ducks in a row before releasing a "fix".

Whoa. Easy Airgetlam, I know the process....didn’t know Sonos had bodyguards on these threads. Why is “fix” in quotes? A fix is what we want. Take break waving the Sonos team flag and provide comments that help the community. Don’t know if I can be sympathetic to the Sonos team since this is issue has been ongoing for 2+ years and counting.
I came across this thread by searching for this issue only it's not with my Sonos, it's through Android Auto in my car using my Pixel 2. It's driving me crazy. I have reinstalled and it still happens. I don't think this is a Sonos issue. It will be playing, cut out, restart Pandora, then play a new song.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi folks,

If you're having trouble streaming from iOS devices, please see my post here about the fixes included in version 9.1, released today.
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
Hi folks,

If you're having trouble streaming from iOS devices, please see my post here about the fixes included in version 9.1, released today.

Updated to 9.1. IOS device playlist music is still skipping when in sleep mode. I hope I'm the only one still having this issue, but if anyone else is still having the issue please let Jeff S know. I submitted a diagnostic #1161640758.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi folks,

Updated to 9.1. IOS device playlist music is still skipping when in sleep mode. I hope I'm the only one still having this issue, but if anyone else is still having the issue please let Jeff S know. I submitted a diagnostic #1161640758.

Hi there,

At this point it would be best to have our phone team take a look at this issue live. Please give us a call, you can find our phone number and hours here.
Still happening for me. In fact, it only started after the last update. Never before.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
As I said in your other post:

boto, Send Sonos a diagnostic and post the number here, without that Sonos can't do much.
I have multiple Sonos play 5's with the subs at at both my home and cottage. I have the same skipping issues as described above using playlist from my iphone x. Last night it was skipping allot. There was an update available yesterday so that was done last night late. This morning I connected via air play and it hasn't skipped yet... is it the update or the fact im using airplay. we'll see.
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
Hi folks,

Hi there,

At this point it would be best to have our phone team take a look at this issue live. Please give us a call, you can find our phone number and hours here.

This is absurd. I don't want to waste time on the phone with support for them to tell me we will let people know about the issue. This issues is not resolved and support has given up on trying to fix it. Terrible product and support. Gave more 1 star ratings for the products I was swindled into buying.
I'm sure Sonos' 4+ star ratings average from multi-thousands of users on Amazon is really going to plummet. :8
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
The point is not to bring down the ratings...I know that's going to happen. Just pointing out issues.
I’ve updated the app to 9.1 too and it’s still skipping. So disappointing considering the amount of money I have invested in Sonos. Have been holding off purchasing additional speakers for rest of my home because of this issue.

Hi folks,

Hi there,

This is absurd. I don't want to waste time on the phone with support for them to tell me we will let people know about the issue. This issues is not resolved and support has given up on trying to fix it. Terrible product and support. Gave more 1 star ratings for the products I was swindled into buying.
Quick and easy fix... I’ve be struggling with this for months with both an iPhone and iPad . See Sonos comments that fixed mine.

Thanks for the diagnostic report. We're still seeing that the phone is losing connection to the Sonos system, which is causing the music to stop. As a test, please disable Auto-Lock under the phone Settings > Display and Brightness (or set to the maximum) to keep the phone awake. Place the phone in the same room as the WiFi access point/router and see if the music still continues to skip.
Also 2nd issue I had but is now fixed. See Sonos fix comments below but in short when I set up the system I set up through the wifi but also plugged a cat5 wire dirct to router just because I had the wire there. That’s a no-no. Only use one or the other.

Thanks for replying and letting us know that the Sonos is still having problems playing from both iOS devices. My name is Shaun and I'm the technician who reviewed your diagnostic.

The skipping is caused by 2 different problems. The Sonos is wired to the router but still trying to use the WiFi. This will cause the Sonos to jump between the two connection types and have to rebuffer each time. Here's a guide on how to remove the WiFi details.

Please open the Sonos app and go to Settings > Advanced Settings > Wireless Setup.

In Wireless Setup, please tap the button at the bottom labelled "Reset." After a moment a message will pop up explaining that the WiFi settings have been removed from Sonos.

Then tap Done in the corner and then exit out of Advanced Settings. Please avoid putting in the WiFi information again.

The diagnostic also shows that the whole house (except for the Pool and Pool House) are grouped together. The Living Room Sonos are the group leader for the whole house. The group leader is in charge of keeping all the speakers playing in time with each other. Using a Sonos which is wired to the router as a group leader will help streamline the pathing between the speakers and the wireless signal.

Mind breaking up the whole house group, selecting the Kitchen or Patio, and then remaking the group around that room? Those 2 rooms are both wired to the router and this will allow them to broadcast to the rest of the house.

After making those 2 changes to the Sonos system, try playing some music to the Sonos. Let me know how it sounds. If the skipping continues, please let me know and send a fresh diagnostic.

Please feel free to let me know if there are any questions. I'm happy to help.

Thank you,
______
Shaun O
This problem was plaguing me for *months.* The only work-around that has worked for me was keeping my iPhone open (not locked), which makes me think something inside iOS causes wifi issues when the phone is locked.

However, with the December 11th iOS app update, this issue *appears* to have stopped! I've been streaming music from my iPhone to my Sonos for hours today with the phone locked and without a single song skip. It might be too early to celebrate, but I am extremely hopefull. If this version of the app truly has a "performance improvement" that modifies this behavior and eliminates it for good, I will be *incredibly* happy.
Badge
Dear Sonos. Please pay attention to this. It is a real issue.

I can confirm issues (skipping tracks at random time stamp) for the following setup:

Hardware:
Play:1 (Serial Number: B8-E9-37-EB-73-3C:6 Hardware Version: 1.8.3.7-2 Series ID: A101);
MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015)

Software:
Sonos Controller for Mac (Version: 10.1 Build: 49263270);
macOS Mojave (Version: 10.14.3)

Note: OS is not in sleep mode, when issues occur.