Question

iPad Pro and Music Service(s) (Apple Music, Deezer, Spotify)

• 28 September 2015
  • 10 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +15
  • Headliner I
  • 1032 replies
Hi all,

Currently all my music (CDs) are on my iMac and I play my music via my music library on sonos, however with the announcement of the iPad Pro I am thinking that I could sell my iMac and iPad Air and just have the iPad Pro with desktop keyboard for all my computing needs.

The problem here is that I wouldn't be able to buy and burn CDs to my iTunes library on the iMac those I would need to switch to a music service as mentioned in the title.

For the sonos team, I would like to know when........

A) will an updated version of the controller be available for the iPad Pro
😎 will an updated version of the controller be available to support Apple Music

These are key questions for me as without the answers I can't move forward with the sale of my iMac and iPad Air as I would be left without any iTunes library.

Also for the community is anyone else using a music service like Deezer, Spotify, or Apple Music and if so what are the pros and cons of the service you use?

10 replies

A) Why wouldn't the current version work on the iPad Pro? Works just fine on my iPad.
😎 By the end of this year.
Userlevel 6
Badge +15
A) Why wouldn't the current version work on the iPad Pro? Works just fine on my iPad.

A) Works fine on my iPad Air, iPhone 6+ and iMac but I didn't ask if it would work I asked if there would be an updated version maybe to support the larger screen size and force touch.

B) By the end of this year.

😎 Yes I know end of year but that's a vague answer - December 31st at 23:59 hrs!
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Hey Dave -

Would be cool if they used some of that extra resolution. Best we can probably hope for is that their app has the resolution so that it scales properly to the higher pixel count. It would lend itself to the desktop app style - but no way we will see that.

I would get an NAS drive to put all your music on and use as a backup source for all your stuff.

You probably know better than I regarding Apple Music - I have the feeling it is going to be November or so before we see it. But I would think they would want to be able to promote Apple Music ability before late November when the holiday buying season really kicks in. We will hopefully get more than the normal answers at CEDIA coming up in 2 weeks.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
at least with Apple Music launch they can do that any time (in the Sonos Lab section). It doesn't have to wait for a firmware cycle.
Userlevel 6
Badge +15
Hey Chris,

How's it going me old "Champion" :-)

Problem with Nas drive is I would still need a desktop to burn new CDs to it, that is why I need to look at a music subscription service as if I get the iPad Pro and the Keyboard I can move away from a desktop.

I think I would opt for Apple Music but as no release date on iPad Pro yet I will have to hang-fast on selling the iMac and iPad Air until I know release date and pricing,
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Deezer sound quality is very good on Sonos with the CD quality streams. That is my current preferred.

Google is currently probably best Sonos integrated (and it allows you to upload all your current and future CD's to their server to make them available in cloud as well).
Userlevel 6
Badge +15
Thanks Chris, I take a look later as currently stuck waiting at Heathrow Airport 😞
Userlevel 6
Badge +15
So iPad Pro arriving in November, is there any word on Apple Music support date yet?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
So iPad Pro arriving in November, is there any word on Apple Music support date yet?

Hi Dave,

We don't have a more accurate timeline to share right now. We're still planning on making Apple Music available by the end of the year.
Userlevel 6
Badge +15
Hi Dave, We don't have a more accurate timeline to share right now. We're still planning on making Apple Music available by the end of the year.

Hi Jeff

You know that I know that you know that was the answer I was expecting, it's really an important answer for me and yes I know you can't give me a deadline.

Guess what I really need to know (Written in stone) is will it be this year? If you read above you'll see I'm thinking of removing my desktop and replacing with iPad Pro so all my current iTunes music will go and I'll have to move to a subscription service.

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings