Integration with Philips Hue

• 31 October 2012
  • 46 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +1
http://www.meethue.com/en-US I'm thinking disco lights or setting lights from the mood of the playing song. Sunrise feature for the alarm. Or sundown from the sleep timer.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

46 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Today we just announced that IFTTT and Sonos have been integrated. Take a look at our announcement post. You can use IFTTT to link Sonos with all sorts of smart devices, like Philips Hue. There's a new board now for smart home integrations which I'll be moving this thread to.

Please feel free to share your installs and plans!
I just got the Hue Tap. How awesome would it be to start Sonos by hitting a light button!
where did you buy the Tap?

Only when you are using apple.
When airplay 2 is launched for sonos. The sonos devices will appear in apple home kit. Then you can use the tap to connect it to a sonos device(s)
Please make the actual integration happen with Philips Hue! Instead of being forced to use the phone's microphone to listen to the music it should get the data directly from the app.
For easily syncing your music to your Hue lights check out: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/huegasm-for-philips-hue-l/mbjanbdhcpohhfecjgbdpcfhnnbofooj

There is also a similar Huegasm web (http://www.huegasm.com/) and android app (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.hoboman313.huegasm), but the Chrome extension is currently the most flexible.
Waaaaaahhhhh! Not sure if this is helpful, but in the process of adding Soundcloud to Sonos.... I walked into the room where I have 3 Hue lights & a bridge and almost went into epileptic seizure until I could get the Hue lights back under control from their "Dance Party Strobe" mode that automatically linked to the music I was playing on Soundcloud via Sonos.

Can't find anything on the Sonos site, or Soundcloud and a Google search brought me to "Huegasm" which allowed be to gain control again. Can't even find anything in the Sonos app related to music connections/sync. But something integrated/synced automatically!
Never say never, but I feel like this will never happen, even though it absolutely should.
And one more customer who would lovee to see a Hue integration !
Please Sonos please.
That would be awesome to have Hue and Sonos work together to have disco lights effects or ambient lights based on the song playing. something like Ambify app, but with Sonos.
+1. My most wanted SONOS-feature! Along with longer fade-in time and fade-out time, preferably adjustable.
One more customer who would like to see hue integration
Hello guys,
I don't know if anyone here has tried this before but this is what works best with my sonos/hue set up.

Apps I use (Iphone):
-Sonos (free)
-Ambify ($2.99)

Equipment:
Hue bulbs (gen2) x6
Play 5 (gen2) x1
Sonos Sub x1
Belkin F8Z492ttP (Bluetooth music receiver) x1
3.5mm stereo jack x1

-Hook the Belkin into the play 5 through the stereo jack.
-In the Sonos app, set music source to "line-in (audio component)."
-On your phone connect to the Belkin through bluetooth
-Open Ambify and if you haven't already follow the set up instructions to connect to Hue
When you play your music through Ambify, the Belkin will receive it and play it through Sonos so you get both the light and sound action alongside each other. As far as I can tell there isn't any delays in the light or sound so long as your connection through the Belkin is secure. You can probably use any wireless music receiver to achieve this or just connect the 3.5mm stereo jack into your phone, I prefer to stay mobile.

Notes
-Ambify, unfortunately will only play music through iTunes. (I don't buy music from the Apple store but import my own music into the iTunes library so I can use them in Ambify).
-Belkin, connection is spotty as its pretty old so I'm looking for a better wireless music receiver.
I just got Philips Hue. It would be really great to see some integration with sonos! Please look into this if possible.
I'd like to bump this request with a massive +1. Hue lights are getting more and more common but the delay with the available apps is annoying to the point where it's almost useless unfortunately. It would be so much better if sonos could integrate support for this to counter that.
Just in case anyone is interested I have written a program in Python 3 which obtains the currently playing track from the Sonos player, looks up 'energy', 'danceability' and 'tempo' of the track (using Echonest) and then changes the brightness, saturation and hue range depending on this information.  I'm sure someone could improve it, but it's worked really well during parties with long playlists and has even been commented on by non-techies.  

You can check it out here: https://fabuloushomeautomation.wordpress.com/2015/04/05/homemade-disco-using-sonos-and-hue/
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Hi Sonos, Here another customer who would love to see sonos & Philips hue integration. Think of the disco lights, in different styles or mood light changes depening on the song that is playing. But also the wake-up light feature in combination with sonos alarm feature would be awesome. Or what about ambi-light features with the tv sound bar.. So when can we have it? 🙂 Regards, anton
When Anton writes Ambi-light with sound bar, he of course means ambi-light for the image - not just music and not for Philips TV's only. This is not possible with current Sonos hardware and both Sonos and Hue introduces lag whether you can see/hear it or not. These lags needs to be taken into account so that the image, sound, and lights are all in sync. For example an explosion would make sync issues very apparent.
For just controling the lights from Sonos, I do not think additional hardware is required. Sound in zones needs to be delayed (some X number of msecs) to match the lag of Hue. A lag which depends on the Hue mesh network (number of bulbs, bridges etc), so it must be configurable. This is needed to get for example a perfect flash to the beat of a drum.
Since Sonos is closed for plugins, there is no third party who can make either of the two integrations with Hue. This must come from Sonos one way or the other.
Hi Sonos, Here another customer who would love to see sonos & Philips hue integration. Think of the disco lights, in different styles or mood light changes depening on the song that is playing. But also the wake-up light feature in combination with sonos alarm feature would be awesome. Or what about ambi-light features with the tv sound bar.. So when can we have it? 🙂 Regards, anton
I have Philips TV's with ambilight. Those TV's can extent the ambilight already to the Hue lights. The TV also controls the sound bar. So video capture is already been taken care of and depending what mode you set it, there is no noticeable lag.

Sonos is for the music without video. What we are looking for is a way to have the music being played by the Sonos equipment control the colors of the Hue lights. And preferably that the lights in the zones are controlled by those zones. Both Sonos and Hue work through WIFI, so in theory they can communicate with one and other. Hue has an open interface, so Sonos should be able to control them. That it requires software to be written is obvious, and I expect that it requires hardware as well. I can imagine a Sonos Hue controller to be developed. For people who can afford both Sonos and Hue I don't think it will be an issue to buy that as well.

I guess Sonos is (not yet) interested in this market as they probably see it as too small. But maybe there is a 3rd party who wants to jump into this void?  
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Ambi-light feature is impossible since it would require Sonos to capture the video and analyze it (not possible with current hardware) before hand (Hue has a lag).
Doing a home built Ambi-light is possible if you use for example KODI as video player and the Boblight addon. It's not easy to setup and of course requires additional hardware.
Userlevel 2
WOW that would be awesome, the ambi-light feature with the sound-bar. I'm in 😉
Badge
Userlevel 2
It's malcolm crum created a python Api to Intergrated with Philips hue directly so Sonos tells the lights directly
Userlevel 2
I read an article once about hacking the Sonos to control the hue lights direct , the Sonos units have a web interface
Badge
It would be a great idea to implement it
Hi SONOS team. I am yet another user/customer that confirms the need for Philips Hue to work with SONOS.. It's working very well using hueManiac in combination with spotify on a minix x8-h android device attached with a sonos soundbar. But it's too bad I have to bypass the sonos app to make it work. It would be a major improvement to an existing great product! Please implement this cool feature :o)
Yeah, I've tried turning the lights on and off in time with the music, which is easy enough with my Celine Dion Greatest Hits, but some of my Vanilla Ice stuff, the tracks are just too fast and funky to keep up, my thumb gets sore.

Sonos, if I say please in a long and childish way (PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEASE) will you create this for me, it's not important in the grand scheme of things but will bring a smile to the face of a boring middle aged man who wants to give his kids a cheap home disco without even getting off the sofa.

If you do I promise I will buy the playbar, and a TV with an optical input.