Integration with Philips Hue

• 31 October 2012
  • 46 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +1
http://www.meethue.com/en-US I'm thinking disco lights or setting lights from the mood of the playing song. Sunrise feature for the alarm. Or sundown from the sleep timer.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

46 replies

I like this idea. I recently bought the http://getambify.com/ app and hooked it up with my Philips Hue. A lot of potential, but if it was integrated with my SONOS system, it would be home run! Here's my video of Philips Hue and Ambify - http://youtu.be/PfWr_MhEU4M
Userlevel 2
That would be SO awesome!
Badge
Recommend checking out the Hue Disco http://huedisco.com app for iOS. Would be slick to somehow integrate directly with Sonos...
That would be so great. I read somewhere that a guy had come up with a solution, but that was way too complicated for me. Do you think Sonos would be looking at this?
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Since Logitech has added support for Hue in their remotes (to set the right light setting when watching or playing different content in a home), I see no reason for Sonos not to follow this trend. Problem with Hue is that there is lag. I guess Sonos would be able to compensate for this so lights would react on the beat of the music. Sonos, please check out the apps; 'Hue Disco' and 'Ambify' which uses the microphone of the smartphone. Pretty stupid when Sonos could integrate directly with no lag 🙂
Badge +3
A member of the Sonos team recently worked on an integration project for Sonos with Phillips Hue and has published his work on GitHub for those that are interested and OK with a bit of tinkering. http://www.malcolmcrum.com/wp/control-your-phillips-hue-lights-with-sonos/139/ I should point out that this is not an official Sonos integration but it might be of some interest to this topic.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
John, cool that someone at Sonos have been playing around with Hue and found it easy to integrate to. The implementation does not appear that useful to me and I would like a much deeper integration which will allow for cooler features like described in my initial post. I'm thinking something like Sonos seeing the bulps or lights connected to the network. These could then be added to zones (zone players and lights in the same room) and controlled automatically by these via features like disco lights (Sonos should compensate for the lag of the Zigbee network and change lights in advance), light setting via the mood of the song playing (see service like www.moodagent.com), a sunrise for the alarm (see Philips Wakeup light), a sundown for the sleep timer (see Philips Wakeup light), etc. I bet the marketing department would eat up features like these 🙂
This seems like such an obvious and fun idea. Both the Sonos community and company would benefit!
This would be a perfect addition to the Sonos System!
Userlevel 2
Any ideas of a update or future feature to sonos for intergreation for Philips Hue
Of course this should be integrated...
Userlevel 2
So far seen SmartThings ( only available in USA ) Integrates Sonos with philips hue , belkin wemo , etc , gives your house automation a voice through Sonos in each room , I hope will be in UK soon
I'd love to see this integration between sonos and my hue lights! Please give Malcolm some extra time to implement it 🙂
Userlevel 2
I just got the Hue Tap. How awesome would it be to start Sonos by hitting a light button!
Badge
I just got the Hue Tap. How awesome would it be to start Sonos by hitting a light button!
where did you buy the Tap?
That's what I was wondering too 🙂 I can't buy one yet here in the us, any chance you want to buy a few more and sell them with some profit on e-bay? 🙂
I bought it in Haarlem, Netherlands. I got the last one that was on stock. @robertjan, we can always make a deal as soon as I can buy one
It doesn't need to be music or disco effects all the time: I'm currently listening to SimplyNoise - thunderstorm (http://www.simplynoise.com/download.php?key=18336dd65313) very often which is 1h of rain and thunder only and I wondered how it would be like if the thunder was supported by some flashing lights. If it was done right, or the light effects for a track could be scripted, this could be a nice addition to the sound system!
Would love to see a full integration of Sonos/Hue - loads of synergy potential here. Completely gutted that it didn't already exist.
Any updates from Sonos on a road map for this, any word from Philips?
I got a Hue set with my new Philips TV. I connected them as ambient lights and saw them work, automatically my next thought was to connect them to my Sonos. I was very surprised and disappointed that it was not possible. And I still am. I see people are asking for this for two years now. Please make it happen!
Think the synergy would also boost your sales.
Yeah, I've tried turning the lights on and off in time with the music, which is easy enough with my Celine Dion Greatest Hits, but some of my Vanilla Ice stuff, the tracks are just too fast and funky to keep up, my thumb gets sore.

Sonos, if I say please in a long and childish way (PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEASE) will you create this for me, it's not important in the grand scheme of things but will bring a smile to the face of a boring middle aged man who wants to give his kids a cheap home disco without even getting off the sofa.

If you do I promise I will buy the playbar, and a TV with an optical input.
Hi SONOS team. I am yet another user/customer that confirms the need for Philips Hue to work with SONOS.. It's working very well using hueManiac in combination with spotify on a minix x8-h android device attached with a sonos soundbar. But it's too bad I have to bypass the sonos app to make it work. It would be a major improvement to an existing great product! Please implement this cool feature :o)
Badge
It would be a great idea to implement it
Userlevel 2
I read an article once about hacking the Sonos to control the hue lights direct , the Sonos units have a web interface