Increase Sonos Favorites limit

• 14 February 2013
  • 72 replies

Userlevel 1
About the new Sonos Favorites feature...I like the idea very much, and planned to use it extensively, But it turns out there's a limit of...it appears to be 32 favourites? Seriously? That makes the concept almost completely useless to me.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

72 replies

Badge
Given that Sonos devices have limited storage available to them, there's going to be a limit. Just like there's a music library song limit, among others. I agree that 32 is an extremely low number, especially when you can add ANY music item to the Favorites list... but for there to be no limit isn't going to happen.
Badge
That suggests that Sonos devices have hard drives, which I don't think is correct. A "favorite" is just a tag in the software so that the item can be found later.
Badge
Think of the favorites list as the (soft buttons) on your car stereo for radio stations.
They are limited, and so are the Sonos favorites as all Sonos players are essentially embedded Linux PC's that can only work with the storage they have physically available. 

Also, in my eyes, having more than 32 favourites would result in people needing to search in their 'Favourites' list, hence, defeating the purpose of it.
Badge
The key to that comment being "in your eyes." I have 36 soft buttons on my car radio, and that is not enough for me. I have 6 for comedy, 6 for rock and pop, 6 for news, 6 for sports, 6 for classical and 6 for jazz and blues. And that's just my Sirius faves. Doesn't even touch the am/fm stations that I frequently listen to, or the other Sirius stations that I or the rest of my family like.

I have over a thousand CD's in my iTunes library, which doesn't touch my purchased music, podcasts or audio books. Nor does it touch the faves of the rest of my family. iTunes doesn't limit the number of 5 star ratings you can use; why should Sonos?

That the limitations of the technology are being defended on the grounds that humans have limits to what they can or wish to track is a just a case of the tail wagging the dog. If you can only deal with 32 favorites without data overload, then put limits on yourself. My car's speedometer shows a top speed of 160 mph. I've never had it above 90, but I'm glad the car can do what it can do.
That suggests that Sonos devices have hard drives, which I don't think is correct. A "favorite" is just a tag in the software so that the item can be found later.

They have solid state memory, where do you think the software is written to? They have far less of it than they would if they had hard drives, so there is a distinct limit on how much information can be held in permanent storage.
Badge
Also, in my eyes, having more than 32 favourites would result in people needing to search in their 'Favourites' list, hence, defeating the purpose of it.

Just because you can't organize more than 32 items at a time for easy, searchless access doesn't mean that everyone has the same lack of organizational skills.

I ran into this issue today. Found this thread through a Google search.
Badge
I am an avid sonos user and gifter. I have over 15 sonos products throughout my house and often give speakers as gifts. You couldn't find a bigger sonos fan or advocate than I. HOWEVER I too am bemused by the limit of favorites imposed. I find it terribly inconvenient. I am a music LOVER and it appears so are all of my family. Try sharing your favourites section with teenagers!! Frankly, it would be easier for Sonos to add extra allowable favourites than for me to convince those selfish bloodsuckers to not delete Mummy's music from the favourites category.
Have pity on us, give us more favs.
PLEASE
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
I am an avid sonos user and gifter. I have over 15 sonos products throughout my house and often give speakers as gifts. You couldn't find a bigger sonos fan or advocate than I. HOWEVER I too am bemused by the limit of favorites imposed. I find it terribly inconvenient. I am a music LOVER and it appears so are all of my family. Try sharing your favourites section with teenagers!! Frankly, it would be easier for Sonos to add extra allowable favourites than for me to convince those selfish bloodsuckers to not delete Mummy's music from the favourites category.
Have pity on us, give us more favs.
PLEASE

I don't use Playlists but to be honest what you are describing seems (To me anyway) as a perfect example of a Playlist.

Create these:-

Mom's cheesy Mum Music favourite
Child A cool music favourite
Child B cool music favourite
Child C (Do not look!) favourite
Dad (dodgy music) favourite

Surely this is the way to go?
Badge
Haha thanks Stuart I love your suggestions. I do have a few playlists. Dinner party music, at work music etc. To be honest its extra favs I want. I use other Genres and Moods a lot too. I have thousands of albums in my collection and definitely have more than my share of favs, literally. I have a tonne of international music that is not indexed in spotify or Apple music yet.
I wonder why Sonos is limiting favs if so many of their users seem to ask for an expansion of this? I trust the sonos team to give us what we want. They listened when we begged for Soundcloud and moved heaven and earth to give us Apple music. There must be a really legitimate reason they can't give us more favs, when we so obviously want it.
Does anyone know what this might be? Sonos Rep??
The reason favorites is limited is because 1) The amount of memory available is limited and 2) If you get 100s or 1000s of favorites, you aren't going to find your "favorite" without a search facility. Search already exists across every service and library, so what is the use? I imagine Sonos takes the concept of "Favorites" at face value, that it is a short list of favored stations/albums/playlists/etc. which can be accessed quickly. Add too many to that list and the original idea of quick access becomes no quicker than accessing any other station/album/playlist/etc.
I'm a new SONOS user and find the limit of 32 favorites ridiculous and very inconvenient. The whole idea behind these music services is the ability to access a vast number of artists and songs. The favorites section for me eliminates the need to have go back and search a song I like. It's there at my finger tips. Debate it however you wish, a 32 song limit in today's world of the cloud puts SONOS back 10 years, Obviously it costs them money to add capacity, but just make the investment if that's what your customers want. Or you may find they don't remain customers for long. Why not just eliminate any and all pain points for your customers so they remain satisfied? If the hefty cost of admission to this service isn't already enough, then just charge for it. 32 is unreasonable. Why not bump up to 100 and be done with it??? Where is your marketing department?
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
Why is it ridiculous? How many playlists can you save? How do you name your playlists? What music services so you use?
Kind of defeats the idea of "favorites" if they aren't limited, right?
Exactly - I am a little bemused at people wanting to redefine the word favourites.

And this is a feature over and above other features to store often heard music - via playlists. Or via My Radio Station on Tune In, so what's the beef?

I quite like the way the beyond a point, Sonos forces me to delete a favourite before I add another. The real world should work that way!

My problem isn't with this, it is with playlists, because there is limited number that can be saved, but I have learnt to live with that by deleting playlists that haven't been heard for months, even years at times.
What's really bemusing is how people try to define for "you" just how many favorites you should or should not have. No one is saying increase it to a 1000...but does it really create that big of a pain point for you if it allows for a bit more flexibility? 100? Why? And let me try and see if I can understand the last reply. Your objection to increasing the number of songs that could be stored in favorites (which some people are saying they would like) is because you lack the discipline to clean out your list and like to be restricted to 32? And that doesn't sound even remotely ridiculous to you? Having the ability to just press an icon in one step and having that song go directly into a favorites list is a real convenience and something that obviously "some" people would like. It is not the same as creating playlists to store groups of music. All I can tell you is I have a lot more than 32 favorites of a lot of things and very few instances where I am challenged to "like less." But I guess this is one of them. I would have liked to have more room, but if others actually prefer to have less freedom then that's fine. Why not cut favorites down to 5 and playlists to 8 or something. And exactly who and how would that be decided?
Your objection to increasing the number of songs that could be stored in favorites (which some people are saying they would like) is because you lack the discipline to clean out your list and like to be restricted to 32?
Yes, but may I point out that I don't think that the favourites feature is meant for favourite songs, saved playlists are the feature Sonos offers for that. If I were to use it for songs, even 1000 would not be enough.
I use the favourites to store favourite playlists and radio stations and for that 32 is plenty.
i just found and read the very sensible Sonos response to this request, that is worth a bump, with nothing more to say:
"At this time we don’t have any plans to increase the maximum number of Favorites which can be stored. We wanted to add an easy way to access some of the top played Stations or Artists on your system, your current Favorites. By design, this is going to be a short list.

There are a lot of ways to get access to the tracks you love. One great way is to make a Sonos Playlist with them all and add that playlist to your Favorites. It’ll add an extra tap, but you’ll save a lot of space on your Sonos Favorites list."
Good point Kumar. I hadn't noticed that the OP was using Favorites for favorite songs. Not the most efficient use of the feature, and obviously not as designed. To the OP, may I suggest a playlist containing your favorite songs, and add that playlist to Favorites?
Badge
People please, It's about quick easy access, when my hands are covered in flour and the guests arrive Quick! Favourites... Voila ambiance! If anyone writes back that I should have a dinner playlist I will surely scream. I have one, I'm sick of it and I'm just not sure of how much more of my life I can dedicate to creating playlists. Enough said, I suppose, no-one is listening anyway.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
People please, It's about quick easy access, when my hands are covered in flour and the guests arrive Quick! Favourites... Voila ambiance! If anyone writes back that I should have a dinner playlist I will surely scream. I have one, I'm sick of it and I'm just not sure of how much more of my life I can dedicate to creating playlists. Enough said, I suppose, no-one is listening anyway.

Sonos do listen

But I'm confused ass to why you're sick of your dinner Playlist but you wouldn't get sick of it when it's in the favourites?

TBH Your best bet is the Alexa voice control and then you can play what you like no matter what gunge you have on your hands
Badge
I'd like to upvote increase or removal of the limit to favourites.

For those who want quick and easy - there's no need to add more than you can readily access!

For the rest of us who don't mind scrolling through a list - and who like having the ability to group streams from multiple sources (Spotify playlists next to TuneIn stations next to Podcasts next to .. you get the idea) .. we should not have a ridiculous arbitrary limit set on this.

This ability to group multiple different sources together is not available anywhere else in Sonos, and it should be improved.

I'd also like to be able to sort lists other than alphabetically ... but that's another issue.
Created a community account just to add my +1 for increasing the available slots inside My Sonos. The My Sonos tab has so much potential for creating the "ultimate library" - albums and playlists that span across the many music services - all collected into a single hub. Would love to see this happen.