Increase Sonos Favorites limit

• 14 February 2013
  • 72 replies

Userlevel 1
About the new Sonos Favorites feature...I like the idea very much, and planned to use it extensively, But it turns out there's a limit of...it appears to be 32 favourites? Seriously? That makes the concept almost completely useless to me.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

72 replies

I'll second this. I quickly exhausted my favorites and was surprised to discover a limit and have to remove some. If there is going to be a limit imposed, explain that to me somehow (e.g. when I add my first favorite, or when I only have 10 left, or show 97/100).
Userlevel 5
Badge +1
Hello, I will change this over to the Ideas section so that it will be viewed as a feature request. I have also adjusted the title to reflect this. Thanks for the feedback!
Userlevel 1
But I don't want the Sonos Favorites limit increased. I want it removed entirely.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Given that Sonos devices have limited storage available to them, there's going to be a limit. Just like there's a music library song limit, among others. I agree that 32 is an extremely low number, especially when you can add ANY music item to the Favorites list... but for there to be no limit isn't going to happen.
Userlevel 1
Irrespective of whether I agree with your point (and I suppose I do, if only theoretically), the Sonos representative should not have changed the thread header in a way that misrepresents my view.
Userlevel 2
It seems to me the limit is exactly what I want. If the limit is increased we end up again in searching in the a favourites list and the advantage in quick finding an item has gone!
Pretty much my view. The ability to add an infinite number of favorites kind of stretches the definition of "favorites." YMMV.
Is there a limit? WHAT? Thanks for letting me know, so I don't waste my time using this feature! I support removing this feature if the limit cannot be increased to... lets say... 512 items?
Userlevel 5
Badge +10
Without some kind of limit (self-imposed or technical) then the favorites menu makes no sense - use library browsing or searching instead. 32 "things" is 32 albums, playlists or tracks... where I find this very useful is having the half-dozen "albums of the week" (I'm a whole-albums listener) or whatever is currently in heavy rotation. Yes, there are other features I'd rather have (access to tagging info), but it's a free upgrade with a bonus feature. Don't use if you don't like.
Userlevel 1
"Don't use if you don't like." Now why didn't that occur to me? And the best part is, it makes this whole Ideas concept unnecessary!
Userlevel 5
Badge +10
I don't know what use cases Sonos were thinking of when they came up with this feature. I guess the question a discussion like this throws up is: "how did you think the favourites feature would be useful, and how does the current item limit lessen its usefulness?"
Love the idea of favorites. But 32 is just too few. Especially when u have multiple users in a household and we want an immediately accessible list of consensus family favorites to quickly choose from to make a playlist for the afternoon, for example....that's how we use it and love it. To make it larger like 50-60, that would be more ideal understanding that memory does require a limit. Thx
I appreciate the concept of favorites, and it is something I will use. However, the implementation could be improved.
  1. It is not clear that there is a limit (indicate this via a tip and/or a visual representation of the number of slots available)
  2. At any given time, I have about 50-100 songs/albums/artists that I'd like quick access to (increase the limit)
  3. I do not know how close I am to hitting the limit until the point at which I cannot add more (better indication of the number of favorite slots remaining)
  4. It was not clear to me how to remove a favorite. To add an item to favorites, I long press it. But to remove it, long press does not give you that option, you must instead hit "edit" and then long press. This is not consistent with removing an item from a playlist via a red x. (enable "remove" on long-press and/or add red x controls to edit mode)
  5. When my favorites are full, I cannot add another item and must go edit my favs list first. (let me replace an item instead)
I don't see any point in this either. I have several hundred CD's (and MP3 albums) and I thought I could finally get rid of them by just storing them as my favorites and access them through Spotify. Then I could just browse through my collection to find something to listen to. I added like 30 to discover I only have 3 left... I often have trouble coming up with something to listen to so searching Spotify is really not what I want. I would be happy with a flat list of several hundred favorites without search / filter. If I know what I'm looking for I'll just search Spotify. If somebody wants to just keep a handful of current favorites, that's ok, but it's no reason to limit other usage. Maybe favorites is not the correct word for it, but that's just semantics. I read that playlists have a limit of 10k items, so limited space really shouldn't be an issue.
PLEASE, PLEASE !!! Don't make yourself ridiculous whit this childish limit. We live in a world of gigabytes, how on earth did you came to the idea to limit a list to 32 items???????????? Do you have any technical reasons? You are producing a high quality, high reputation equipment - please dont behave childish! Ok, you at Sonos gave this task - sonos favorites - to a trainee, and he / she made this joke, but seriously, how long do you want us to enjoy this? So please wake up and correct this with the next realease! I reallly liked the sonos favorites at first. I have tousands of songs with over tousand artists - many of them are coming from compilations and there are many who I don't actually know, but I dont want to delete them to keep the compilations. I missed a place where I can browse my real favorit artists - just like a dedicated shelf for my favorite CDs - and this could be the sonos favorites: It works very nice: I have my favorit artists in one list and I can browse their albums, songs - very nice, thank you. But only 32 items, this makes the whole idea unusable. Suggestion: for those people, who like the idea to be limited, make an entry in the "settings" part of sonos, where the limit can be swiched off and on. Or just take out this limit completely! Sorry for getting emotional.
Userlevel 5
Badge +10
Yawn, It's quick access to your "favourites". If you have 1000 favourite things, they're not very special, are they. Yes, an indication of how many you have (other than the "getting close to the limit" message) would be useful, but the Sonos UX is all about minimalism (also good design). I love the favourites, I find it really useful (quick access to favourite artists and albums on heavy rotation, etc). It's a free feature. There's way more important things Sonos could be concentrating on.
Yawn, It's quick access to your "favourites". If you have 1000 favourite things, they're not very special, are they. Yes, an indication of how many you have (other than the "getting close to the limit" message) would be useful, but the Sonos UX is all about minimalism (also good design). I love the favourites, I find it really useful (quick access to favourite artists and albums on heavy rotation, etc). It's a free feature. There's way more important things Sonos could be concentrating on.
I agree. When you have thousands of favorites, it no longer fits the definition of "Favorites" (unless you are Richard Christy). I understand that some may want to use it under another definition, but IMHO "unlimited favorites" is too much of an oxymoron for Sonos to spend any time on. It's like developing a car stereo with 1000 preset station on the face.
jaipee - anything below 100 favorites is useless - for SONOS to implement this is technically easy, no excuses for not doing it - anyone not wanting to use favorites or use only a few, remains free to do that - as it stands, with only 32 favorites, this is seriously diminishing the practicality of Sonos - in fact Sonos should not only consider increasing the number of favorites, but develop the system to being able to order favorites, make tagged sub-chapters etc.etc. - as it stands now, this is a clearly underdevelopped aspect of Sonos
Userlevel 5
Badge +10
You're right. This feature is under-developed. It was probably knocked up in an afternoon. And it's awesome as it stands. Oh, and most importantly, it's a. free, and b. an improvement on your original Sonos experience (unless you bought into Sonos in the last few months). But I guess, hundreds of favourites would negate the need for Sonos to provide for playlists, or searching, or browsing, or all the traditional ways to get at your music that other music players stop at...
There is absolutely no reason why there should be a limit of just 32 "favorites". Anyone trying to claim that anything above that number just doesn't qualify as a "favorite" and supposedly defeats the very notion is seriously mistaken: there are several people in most households, and they can have different tastes and preferences for not just music, but news. Trust me, with just 2 people in a household, me and my wife quickly found to have reached the limit of "favorites", as we like to have quick (instant) access to different news in different languages (there is Monocle for quick roundup of news, there is Bloomberg, CBS, PBS, BBC, EuroNews, etc) and don't want to type their names each time. Likewise, we have several techno, pop, jazz, salsa, and international music stations (Turkish, Azerbaijani, etc) that we like to listen to periodically throughout the day/week. 

Thus, expanding the Favorites is a necessity, and I propose that it be increased to at 100-150. I think each Sonos owner is very different from typical listener - we bought the very expensive SONOS systems because we wanted to depend less on the mainstream FM choices out there, and have a greater global variety that was possible thanks to the Internet. It means any given SONOS listener has a wider number of favorites than a typical person. It is not an exaggeration to say that SONOS users might like up to 50 "favorites" on average. Considering that a typical household is 3 people, that's about 150 "favorites".

Furthermore, it would be great if we could have some general categories, such as "News Radio", "Music Radio", "My Music Collection/Track List", etc.
Userlevel 5
Badge +10
There is absolutely no reason why there should be a limit of just 32 "favorites". Anyone trying to claim that anything above that number just doesn't qualify as a "favorite" and supposedly defeats the very notion is seriously mistaken: there are several people in most households, and they can have different tastes and preferences for not just music, but news. Trust me, with just 2 people in a household, me and my wife quickly found to have reached the limit of "favorites", as we like to have quick (instant) access to different news in different languages (there is Monocle for quick roundup of news, there is Bloomberg, CBS, PBS, BBC, EuroNews, etc) and don't want to type their names each time. Likewise, we have several techno, pop, jazz, salsa, and international music stations (Turkish, Azerbaijani, etc) that we like to listen to periodically throughout the day/week. 

Thus, expanding the Favorites is a necessity, and I propose that it be increased to at 100-150. I think each Sonos owner is very different from typical listener - we bought the very expensive SONOS systems because we wanted to depend less on the mainstream FM choices out there, and have a greater global variety that was possible thanks to the Internet. It means any given SONOS listener has a wider number of favorites than a typical person. It is not an exaggeration to say that SONOS users might like up to 50 "favorites" on average. Considering that a typical household is 3 people, that's about 150 "favorites".

Furthermore, it would be great if we could have some general categories, such as "News Radio", "Music Radio", "My Music Collection/Track List", etc.

Yes, with multiple people sharing one Sonos system, those 32 favourites would get used up quicker. Sonos is a system for your house, but adding user profiles would solve your problem. However, a strict low limit on the number of favourites one person can have - and I think somewhere in the 25-50 range (whatever fits on a couple of screens' worth of listing) is about right - is still a good design choice.
But I don't want the Sonos Favorites limit increased. I want it removed entirely.
You want Favorites to be removed?  Rather than removing it and punish the whole Sonos community with your deviant ideas, simply do NOT use them yourself, which is equivalent to not having any!

to Alan :   "...a strict low limit on the number of favourites one person can have...."  is any one's PERSONAL point of view. Let us respect the point of view of those others who actively and creatively need 100 or more favorites. Stick to 25 or 50, if this is functional for you.
It's becoming clear in all the comments up to now, that there are different ways to use SONOS favorites. Some do not need any and want favorites removed completely (.....and thereby punish the majority of SONOS users); others want 150 or more.

The latter actually are the correct reference, because they will finally be able to use SONOS the way they wish. Others thereby would be free to use only 25, 32 or, as a matter of fact none, as they find it best for their own purpose. And they would in this way not interfere with the users who need more!
That doesn't make sense, you must be joking or something. Why in the world remove a feature that does not negatively affect anyone and that is needed by 99% of users?