Question

Importing Apple Music (aka iTunes) Playlists.

• 6 September 2020
  • 3 replies

I am running MacOS Catalina 10.15.6 and SONOS S2 Controller. I am able to import my Apple Music/iTunes library, but the playlists are not importing into the S2 Controller. My understanding is that the new Music app no longer supports XML, which S2 relies on.

Is there a way to import Apple Music (iTunes) playlists?

Thank you!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @ChrisFit.

Thanks for reaching out and welcome to the community!

I appreciate your detailed post, I’d be glad to help and try to figure it out.

If your playlists are still missing after adding your music folder, it’s possible that your playlist files are stored in another folder on your computer.

Find out where your playlist files are stored, then add that music folder to your library so Sonos can index the right files.

You may also refer to this article for additional suggestions that will help you find and add your missing playlists.

If the above advice was followed and the issue persists, please submit a new diagnostic report through the Sonos app and provide us the confirmation number, it can help us identify what is causing your issue.

Let us know how it goes and if you have any other questions or concerns, feel free to reach out.

Thanks @Annazel S 

I am pointing Sonos to the correct music folder. With the update to MacOS Catalina, the Music app no longer creates an XML file, which is where playlist information is stored. Rather, the playlist information is now stored in a file named “Music Library.musiclibrary”. This is not in XML format. Do you know if SONOS can read and use this file for playlist information?

Thank you!

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @ChrisFit.

Thanks for your response and for the update.

Sonos can import playlists from the Music app on macOS as well as the iTunes app on macOS by reading the app’s music library XML file.

When Sonos indexes the music library on Catalina, it writes an iTunes Library.xml file to the iTunes folder, which Sonos reads to populate "imported playlists" within Sonos.

If the iTunes folder within the Music folder doesn't exist and as such Sonos won't write the iTunes Library.xml.

You may try updating the music library index in the Sonos app and see if that helps.

I also found this relevant thread that you can refer to for additional information and suggestions:

https://en.community.sonos.com/music-services-and-sources-228994/sonos-and-mac-os-10-15-catalina-6830760

Let us know how it goes and if you have any questions, please feel free to reach out.