Import music from iPad?

Userlevel 2
Can I import my music library on my iPad into the Sonos system? I don't have main computer where my Sonos system is.
Thank you

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

25 replies

clmeredith888,

First post! Welcome to the forums.

SONOS units do not store any music. The music is stored on a computer or external hard drive. Many of us use a NAS (Network Attached Storage) drive to store our music. A NAS plugs into your network and delivers files on demand. While you will need a computer briefly to load the NAS, no computer is required for a SONOS system.

With an adapter cable, one can attach an iPad to a SONOS DOCK and play music directly from the iPad through a SONOS player. Music can be selected from the iPad or a SONOS controller. If your SONOS player has a Line-In, it is possible to connect an iPad to the Line-In and listen to whatever is playing on the iPad. In this case play would be initiated from the iPad.
Userlevel 2
Have I understood correctly that due to apple restrictions, it is impossible to get music stored on an ipad recognized as part of the sonos music library and therefore music stored on an ipad cannot be played by streaming through a bridge to a play 5 speaker?
Have I understood correctly that due to apple restrictions, it is impossible to get music stored on an ipad recognized as part of the sonos music library and therefore music stored on an ipad cannot be played by streaming through a bridge to a play 5 speaker?

Correct, Apple restricts direct WiFi streaming to AirPlay devices only. If you want to play your ioad music through Sonos, you can either use the WD100 dock with an extender, or use an Apple Airport Express with the Play:5 line-in for AirPlay.
Userlevel 2
Thanks for that very clear answer
Userlevel 2
The answer from jgatie works.
But I think the iPad Transfer is more convenient.
The guide below may be an alternative method for you.
How to Transfer Music from iPad to Computer
Hope this may help you.
Userlevel 1
Does it also work on iPhone?

Does what also work on iPhone?

Note that this thread is over a year old, things have moved on since then. Provided your iDevice is running iOS 6.x or higher you now have the option to play your music files directly from the device itself. This only applies to locally stored files though, you can't play any other audio from the device as you could if you were using Airplay.

The previous advice regarding Airplay in conjunction with an Airport Express still applies however.
Userlevel 2
I too want to play music that is stored on my ipad directly through the Sonos contoller. Is there a way to direct the controller 'manage my music' to the music folder that exists on the ipad?

Does what also work on iPhone?

Note that this thread is over a year old, things have moved on since then. Provided your iDevice is running iOS 6.x or higher you now have the option to play your music files directly from the device itself. This only applies to locally stored files though, you can't play any other audio from the device as you could if you were using Airplay.

From this quote above, it would seem that you can, but could someone tell me how to find it?
Thanks
I too want to play music that is stored on my ipad directly through the Sonos contoller. Is there a way to direct the controller 'manage my music' to the music folder that exists on the ipad?

From this quote above, it would seem that you can, but could someone tell me how to find it?

Sonos 'Wireless iTunes Playback' allows you to stream tracks stored on the iDevice, so long as they've been put there by iTunes. You'd see a This iPad source listed in the main menu.
Userlevel 2
Thanks. Will check that out.
Userlevel 2
Great! I found it. Thanks.
Hope this may help you.

There are free apps on how to do that, lol
How to transfer iPad data to computer ?How to copy iPad music , playlists to PC ? Or how to import iPad videos, movies, TV shows to iTunes ? You can try Coolmuster iPod to Computer app to transfer iPad music to PC .
Hope this may help you.

It is not free, you can search free Assistant for iOS.
How to transfer iPad data to computer ?How to copy iPad music , playlists to PC ? Or how to import iPad videos, movies, TV shows to iTunes ? You can try Coolmuster iPod to Computer app to transfer music from ipad to computer .
Is it free?
There are a way that can be used to transfer data between Android and iPhone,like the transfer or export data program , we need to operate on computer
How to transfer iPad data to computer ?How to copy iPad music , playlists to PC ? Or how to import iPad videos, movies, TV shows to iTunes ? You can try Tunesbro to extract iPhone data after the data has been synced or transferred to computer .

Thanks , the data transfer program can be easy for us since we have a good idea