Answered

Icecast Ogg Stream works in browser, VLC etc, just not Sonos

• 2 February 2018
  • 4 replies

Badge +2
One of my local radio stations seems to have switched to IceCast and now their stream no longer works. It seems to be a simple Ogg stream (vorbis), it works in chrome, vlc etc, just not sonos. Link Below

https://icecast2.getstreamhosting.com:8050/stream.ogg

Anyone know what I can do get it working?
icon

Best answer by Keith N 3 February 2018, 02:25

Hello there, kamau. Thanks for posting! Sonos does not support streams in .ogg format. Check out this article to read more about adding a custom radio station stream to Sonos and it's limitations.
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Hello there, kamau. Thanks for posting! Sonos does not support streams in .ogg format. Check out this article to read more about adding a custom radio station stream to Sonos and it's limitations.
Badge +2
Oh shucks. The wording on the site is confusing, the ogg file format itself is supported, just not the audio stream.. Anyway, what other options are there to get this stream to work? Will it be supported in the future?
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
The Supported audio formats article identifies it more clearly... the streaming formats are at the bottom, local library formats at the top.
Badge +2
If anyone ever has this issue, I solved mine using VLC. If have an idle PC or remote server, install VLC on it and choose Media > Stream. Enter your stream url and choose Stream. Select HTTP, enter the port you want to use, start streaming and finally allow that port access in windows firewall. In Sonos enter the IP/Url of your computer as a custom radio station in this format (IP:port eg. http://192.168.0.2:8080). Sonos will now be able to play that stream without any fuss.

It's a bit technical and can break easily but it works for now.