Answered

I can't play music from YouTube Music

Userlevel 2

I am a premium member of YouTube Music and I have successfully added the service to my Sonos app in Android.

However, when I try to play music from YouTube Music it is showing a message that access is denied. Please help. Thank you.

icon

Best answer by Ryan S 21 April 2020, 22:50

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

108 replies

Having the same issue. Wondering if it’s related to where you purchased the app. Mine’s from iTunes vs from Google. Since Google Assistant is the only access app, there may be some problem that Sonos overlooked.

I have the same issue with GPM and YTM and also have a Family account through YouTube Premium.  Will periodically start to play something but then cut out.  Can never click on a song and have it play from either YTM or Google play.  The only way I can play music is if the music is on my phone directly, in “My Library”.  Sort of defeats the purpose of paying for streaming though!

Help!

Hey @scrooks. Thanks for the post and welcome to the Community.

Cutouts during music playback can be caused for a number of reasons. 

Would you be able to provide me with a diagnostic of your Sonos system so I may investigate further?

Please provide me with the confirmation number after submitting and I would be happy to take a look for you.

Hi Adam.  2043790817.

Thanks for the diagnostic number!

I can see that your Sonos system is experiencing considerable WiFi latency.

This condition may cause the audio to “buffer” and thus, could explain cutouts that you have been experiencing. 

Additionally, I can see that the Netgear Orbi unit we are connected to is showing different information than the main Orbi. 

Would it be possible to hardwire the Sonos player into the Main Orbi that’s connected to the modem and test Sonos playback  to see if the problem continues?

Badge +1

Hi everyone, anyone found a legit fix for this? Ive racked my brains for 3 hours on Sonos customer support. If they make you do all the connectivity, dont bother coz it is not that for the same logic that other music services work perfectly, tried Amazon and Google Music. I am not getting access denied error but Unable to play song, not encoded correctly, but the very second I try again it play so def. not an encoding issue else it would never play it

Hi everyone, anyone found a legit fix for this? Ive racked my brains for 3 hours on Sonos customer support. If they make you do all the connectivity, dont bother coz it is not that for the same logic that other music services work perfectly, tried Amazon and Google Music. I am not getting access denied error but Unable to play song, not encoded correctly, but the very second I try again it play so def. not an encoding issue else it would never play it

Hey, this exactly happening to me too. Songs are skipping and getting the same messages although not the same experience with Spotify, soundcloud for example. 

Will this be solved soon?

Badge +1

@Jonos1 don't think there is anything you can do to fix it at your end. Sonos and the music streaming service has to come up with an update/fix. Wait until then. 

Not all services give that error. Start using some other. In my case error was only on YouTube music, so I started using Amazon music. 

Sonos is a scam. They charge a premium and impose a proprietary network. It's a speaker folks, not an ecosystem. So disenchanted. I contacted our State Attorney General and found out I'm not alone. They're actively considering action.

Keep us posted, please.

Sonos is a scam. They charge a premium and impose a proprietary network. It's a speaker folks, not an ecosystem. So disenchanted. I contacted our State Attorney General and found out I'm not alone. They're actively considering action.

Sure they are.  :rofl:

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

Hi everyone, there’s an update that went out today that should make some big improvements here. Please test out YouTube music and let us know if you’re still having this encoding error come up.

This issue has not been answered and the update did nothing. 

I also cannot send music from the YT music app to the sonos speaker (I have a premium YT account) even after the update. I also cannot find music in the sonos app that I can easily find in the YT music app. Is there an upgrade coming that makes the sonos app search more user friendly?

Clearly Sonos is not doing anything about this.  Sonos, your app does NOT work with youtube music properly.  It keeps saying “youtube music unavailable currently pls try again later” everytime i request for a song through google assistant with my Sonos Move, but if i play it through the app it works.  The sonos app is clearly not exchangin authentication properly with youtube music when using alexa to authenticate.  Pls do something about it as your device is already overpriced and does not work as advertised!!

I also had the issue where I got the error of access denied when I authorized my Youtube Music account. But solved it. The issue was that I have several channels under my Youtube account. And Sonos only works with the original channel where the email address of the Youtube account is the same as the email address of the Sonos account.

If you have this issue and you have several Youtube channels in your Youtube account the please make sure to authorize the Youtube channel that has is the original one, or the one that is registered with the same email address as your Sonos account.

still no resolution in 2020….

I have had this problem as well. Try this: I always signed in with my “google account” that I always use when I use youtube. It turns out you have to sign in using your original Google Account email most likely your original gmail for the account. I always used my alternate / recovery email as I don’t use gmail. When I did this it worked. Doesn't have any of my settings because they are under my other youbtube login but at least now I can access music… good luck let me know if it works.

Sonos is deeply annoying. I spent 5 minutes connecting YouTube to my Sonos system, only to be told (not for the first time) "Access denied" but given no help with how to overcome the problem!

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

I have this problem too.when adding the service the email address on YouTube matches that of Sonos. Annoying 

I have the same problem! 

Hello,

I also had the problem with YTM in connection with Sonos, I investigated and solved the problem as follows.

My Google account with YT Premium membership was linked to 2 accounts at YT. The original Google account and the brand account, which also referred to the original Google account. There is now the option of merging this brand account with the original account so that there is only one YT account (see link). Then just remove the music service in the Sonos app, add it again and the playlists will work and the message “Access denied” will no longer appear.

PS.https://www.google.de/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwiJhIHixaDtAhVyAWMBHRfWBPQQFjABegQIAhAC&url=https%3A%2F%2Fusingtechnologybetter.com%2Fhow-to-move-a-youtube-channel-to-another-google-account%2F&usg=AOvVaw2J2dM9CCORRkQMHYqkwPRfhttps: //support.google.com/youtube/answer/3056283

greetings

Sur

@Sur Realist : Perfect !! It works perfectly now !! Thank you for your help !!

Did this ever get resolved? I see playlists but they do not play, they all look disabled and greyed out. The above answer does not apply to me. I only have one account and no brand account. I do not have Premium. Is it necessary?

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Hi @DJ Trix.

Welcome, thank you for reaching out to Sonos Community, We appreciate your time and effort in posting your concern here in our community.

At this time, customers can upload their locally saved tracks to YouTube Music and stream them on Sonos for free. To stream the entire YouTube Music catalog on Sonos, customers need a premium account. That said, we’re always evolving the listening experience with our partners over time.

If you need help with any other information, please be sure to let us know.