Answered

I can get all BBC radio live streams, but not on-demand, listen-again services (iplayer). Any ideas?

• 20 December 2013
  • 30 replies

Badge
BBC On-demand services
icon

Best answer by Ryan S 2 June 2016, 20:19

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

30 replies

Badge +18
Internet radio on Sonos is powered by Tune-In, an aggregator of radio stations and streams.  This is what's displaying the BBC live streams to you.  Tune-In does also offer some on-demand content, similar to iPlayer, for select shows.  

If you search via your Sonos Controller for a specific BBC show or station, you'll find an option for Recent Episodes.  Recent Episodes is basically on-demand, and will have a selection of different recent broadcasts you can listen to on Sonos.
Badge
Internet radio on Sonos is powered by Tune-In, an aggregator of radio stations and streams.  This is what's displaying the BBC live streams to you.  Tune-In does also offer some on-demand content, similar to iPlayer, for select shows.  

If you search via your Sonos Controller for a specific BBC show or station, you'll find an option for Recent Episodes.  Recent Episodes is basically on-demand, and will have a selection of different recent broadcasts you can listen to on Sonos.

Many thanks John - I had  discovered this from other  users via ask.sonos but thanks for your prompt response 
I've tried all that but it still doesn't let me listen again, it just tells me that tune in isn't online. Can anyone help me cos i do like to use the listen again
Userlevel 2
I am a pom living in Aus. I have sonos and have no problem listening to BBC live streams and can see only a few of the listen again shows from BBC regional stations. I can't listen again to major shows on radio one or one extra. Is this because I am location blocked. Will a proxy server solve this problem.?
Where do I find the Recent Episodes option?
Badge
In 'Select a music source' choose radio. Then in the search box type the show you want and then click 'Shows' If there are any recent episodes, they should appear.  You can also type the show's host in the search box and click 'hosts'. Not all shows that are available on BBC iplayer will be available.

This works  with the SONOS PC layout - not sure if it is same on tablet or smart phone.
Userlevel 2
Many thanks for this answer - it was just what I was looking for. This has worked for me, using my MAC controller - for the Craig Charles Funk and Soul show at least. I am at home in the UK this week but will be working overseas next week so hope I can still do it from Tanzania. I will post the results afterwards.
Userlevel 2
I'd guess this is because you don't pay for a TV licence in the UK
Userlevel 2
I can't get any of the shows I'd like to listen to this way  - this is nothing like using iplayer on other platforms 😞
Userlevel 2
Here is the update I promised - When I was in Tanzania, I was able to listen to both live radio and repeated shows on the BBC iPlayer so there doesn't seem to be a restriction on rights like there is for TV programmes. However, using the TuneIn radio bit of Sonos to listen to my favourite show - Craig Charles on either Radio 2 or Radio 6 is very hit and miss. Quite often the shows are not available for days afterwards, and as they are only available for 7 days after the broadcast that can leave you very little time to catch up. It is of course very frustrating too. Yet again, this week the shows are not available - I can see them and listen to them on my MAC from the BBC Iplayer but Sonos just says they aren't available. I don't know if it is a problem with Sonos or TuneIn. Either way, it is surely time that Sonos gave us the option of using the BBC radio iplayer directly? Perhaps we shouldn't buy a US system over here if they aren't going to cater for UK radio properly.
And the option would be?
Userlevel 2
Well something like they do for the Amazon cloud player or Google Music player etc. Sonos has options to use MLB player etc so why not something for the BBC? I don't know technically what that entails and I suppose it might not be possible but perhaps someone at Sonos could look into it? Or let us know why they can or can't look into it perhaps?
Userlevel 2
Someone has logged an official request with Sonos - if you search for iPlayer here then you will see one called Integrate BBC iPlayer with the Sonos APP. There are only 2 people who say they want the same thing - and I'm the other one. If anyone reading this wants it too then I'd say it would help to go and mark that request. And ask anyone else you know who has Sonos to do it too. Thanks.
Userlevel 2
Jackie - I've added something since reading your post above. I'm not holding my breath about hearing from the mothership - but who knows, we might get lucky if anyone actually reads our posts!
Here is the update I promised - When I was in Tanzania, I was able to listen to both live radio and repeated shows on the BBC iPlayer so there doesn't seem to be a restriction on rights like there is for TV programmes. However, using the TuneIn radio bit of Sonos to listen to my favourite show - Craig Charles on either Radio 2 or Radio 6 is very hit and miss. Quite often the shows are not available for days afterwards, and as they are only available for 7 days after the broadcast that can leave you very little time to catch up. It is of course very frustrating too. Yet again, this week the shows are not available - I can see them and listen to them on my MAC from the BBC Iplayer but Sonos just says they aren't available. I don't know if it is a problem with Sonos or TuneIn. Either way, it is surely time that Sonos gave us the option of using the BBC radio iplayer directly? Perhaps we shouldn't buy a US system over here if they aren't going to cater for UK radio properly.
TuneIn is very hit and miss for shows I agree - I have logged this as an issue many times. The podcasts seem to be more reliable
Userlevel 2
Unfortunately, the shows I like are not on Podcasts, only on the BBCiPlayer for a week after they are broadcast.  But usually this means only on Sonos for 4 or 5 days because of how unreliable the TuneIn facility is at updating their availability.  It really is a poor facility. The fact that no-one at Sonos cares is equally annoying.
Userlevel 1
Badge +2
I am very disappointed that the BBC iplayer does not work with Sonos. I listen to everything on Radio 4 and Radio 4 extra on iplayer and it is annoying that it will not play on my v expensive home-wide Sonos music system.
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
OK, So I just found this thread from the one I started on the same issue. Time for Sonos to wake up and smell the coffee maybe? Glad to see I am not the only person who wants Radio 4 catch-up. Some shows are available in the Sonos Radio section and can be found using search (e.g. Just A Minute) but others don't come up at all e.g. Any Question (although bizarrely Any Answers does appear).
DF 

If anyone can help with this, I would appreciate additional instructions. I have tried several BBC Radio 3 programs (CD Review, Live in Concert, Composer of the Week) by searching these titles under the tab Podcasts & Shows, and the response "No selections are available" is all that comes up under Playing Now, Recent Episodes, and Playing Soon.
I agree this is very frustrating. I used to be able to get all of the Radio 4 shows I like but recently most of them have been missing! Help please!
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Until HLS is implemented (Sonos working on) on-demand will not work.  BBC shut down those streams.  We don't know when the HLS fix is coming from Sonos.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Good news everyone. We've just started testing Sonos version 6.3 in an open beta which includes HLS recorded support. This means if you'd like to test out the software, you should see all the BBC recorded shows (listen again content) available on TuneIn on Sonos again. Only the shows available on TuneIn will be showing up on Sonos, but that should include most of them. If you’d like to test it out, Sonos version 6.3 is now available for Android devices, Mac and Windows PCs. There is no iOS version at this time.

See here for more details on the 6.3 beta.
I have installed the beta and there are still no BBC Radio 1 Listen Again shows available in Sonos. When finding any of the radio shows, clicking 'Recent Episodes' (which is where I assume one would find Listen Again episodes) always returns no results. I'm trying to find Annie Mac's Friday Night show or Pete Tong's show but the same applies to any Radio 1 shows I try. This may fail under the 'Only the shows available on TuneIn will be showing up on Sonos, but that should include most of them.' but this certainly does not include most of them.

If Sonos is to deliver a reliable service, which is the specific reason I purchased Sonos, then surely Sonos should work with the BBC to deliver their content rather than rely on TuneIn Radio.

I really hope a solution is found, as it's a bit crazy that Sonos is the only modern multi-room/wireless speaker product that cannot delivery BBC Radio 1 recorded content.
You should be posting this to beta feedback, as specified in the beta instructions. That way it is seen by the beta engineering team.

https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/beta

As a note, I personally have hundreds of entries under Recent Episodes.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
It's worth running the exact same search in www.tunein.com

Sonos have informed the BBC/Tunein that not all shows are showing as available

But as jgatie says. This thread is NOT the place to report Beta issues - that should be done by using the Beta reporting tool in the controller and to be as helpful as possible include screenshots of the issue (You can attach this if you navigate to the issue via the link they will mail you)