Huge volume difference between playbar for TV vs playbar for music - again

• 11 October 2021
  • 3 replies

Hi guys,

Hoping someone can help. I have a Playbar hooked up to my Sony TV. If I put the TV on and set the volume to what I want when watching a movie - it’s great. 

However, if I then turn the TV off and ask Alexa (Echo) to play a song through the Playbar (using Spotify) - the volume is almost double as loud as the TV. 

So loud in fact that my GF did it the other day and it’s actually blown the bass speakers in the Playbar (a separate issue).  

When I look at the Sonos IOS app whilst doing the above, the volume slider remains at the same level for both TV and Music however what I hear is completely different. 

What makes this more confusing is that with my original set up, it was synced with my TV and Playbar (same TV and bar as i have bnow) - I had a bridge (connected to router in order for it all to work), when Sonos updated systems and the bridge was no longer needed - that’s what this issue started. 

Anyone got any ideas on what it could be and how to fix it without having to open the Sonos app and lower the slider before choosing music (which defeats the object of wireless / voice activation)? 

Thanks

Dan

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Wolffy 

Thanks for your post!

It seems to me that the best way forward is to determine where exactly the volume is being adjusted. Do you have any devices in your home that have an optical output, other than your TV? This could be a games console, another TV, a set-top-box or even a CD player. If so, please connect the Playbar to the device with the optical cable and compare the volume level from that device with streamed music. If they are similar, then the initial issue would seem to be induced by your TV. Otherwise, I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team regarding the Playbar.

Of course, I would also recommend first trying a reboot of both the Playbar and the TV by unplugging both from power for a few minutes (TV standby won’t do).

I hope this helps.

Hi @Wolffy 

Thanks for your post!

It seems to me that the best way forward is to determine where exactly the volume is being adjusted. Do you have any devices in your home that have an optical output, other than your TV? This could be a games console, another TV, a set-top-box or even a CD player. If so, please connect the Playbar to the device with the optical cable and compare the volume level from that device with streamed music. If they are similar, then the initial issue would seem to be induced by your TV. Otherwise, I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team regarding the Playbar.

Of course, I would also recommend first trying a reboot of both the Playbar and the TV by unplugging both from power for a few minutes (TV standby won’t do).

I hope this helps.

Thanks Corry P. The only other optical output I have is the exact same TV in another room. Not sure trying it on that would be valuable? 

I’m thinking I do need to get in touch with Technical Support.

Appreciate you taking the time to read / respond.

Thanks,

Dan

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Wolffy 

Thanks Corry P. The only other optical output I have is the exact same TV in another room. Not sure trying it on that would be valuable? 

Only if the current TV has a fault. But, it would be more telling in this case than trying another device. If audio from the second TV is roughly the same as that from streaming, then the current TV is at fault, not the model/engineering.

If the two TV’s produce the same result, then it could be the TV model/engineering or the Playbar itself.

Although it would be unusual, maybe the TV actually has control over the optical-outputted stream’s volume. If this is the case, then adjusting this would be the fix (it may be separate from the main volume control). Adjusting the volume with the remote while blocking the Playbar’s remote sensor would be a good test - if there’s any effect, then the TV has a say in the volume.