How to use Siri now that we have AirPlay2?

• 21 July 2018
  • 6 replies

Badge +1
I can't figure out how to get Siri working now that we have AirPlay2. I have added the speakers to HomeKit, setup them up in their named rooms but when I ask Siri to "play Dave Matthews in Living Room" she works for a second then says she's unable to play that. I have Dave Matthews songs downloaded on my phone (ie not trying to stream them from the cloud).

For clarify, if I don't have the speaker added to HomeKit properly then Siri will reply, "I can't find that device".

So her saying "I am unable to play that" is a different error.

I do not have the "Apple Music" service but I have songs that are purchased from the iTunes store that are either on my phone or "on the cloud" so I can download them. I am able to play the "cloud" songs without downloading them directly to my phone and use AirPlay to send them to any of my Sonos One speakers.

Any ideas?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Badge +1
Anybody?
Userlevel 2
Badge
I have a similar issue. I have a couple of homepods and 2 Sonos Beams (all are in different rooms, so no room name conflicts). Sometimes, it seems I can say "play xxx in living room" and Siri will play on the Sonos without issue. Sometimes, I get one of those two errors above.

I'm always able to use my iPhone, pull up my control center, click on the music tile, and navigate through to add in my Sonos to what is already playing on one of the home pods.

Also, occasionally, the Sonos beams will drop out/skip the audio while playing via airplay2 (HomeKit).. which also causes the audio to get out of sync between my different rooms/devices. So, I pause everything and start it again, and it's back in sync.

My overall experience is that either the Sonos implementation of Airplay 2 or the HomePod/HomeKit AirPlay2 with several synced devices is a bit glitchy.. Still kind of feels a bit "beta" for non-apple devices getting controlled by Siri.
Badge +1
Bumping this. Has anyone figured out Siri integration with Airplay2 and Sonos?
From this link:https://support.sonos.com/s/article/1230?language=en_US

Can I use Siri to control Sonos?
Yes. Just add your Sonos speakers to the Home app, and they will be available to control using Siri on your iPhone or iPad. Please note that the only supported music service for Siri is Apple Music.

1. Open the Apple Home app and tap "+" or Add Accessory.
2. Choose “Don’t Have a Code or Can’t Scan?”
3. Tap the speaker you want to add.
4. Pick the same room name used in the Sonos app.

Things to try with Siri...
Hey Siri, play some hip-hop in the kitchen.
Hey Siri, turn it up in the living room.
Hey Siri, play Beats 1 radio in the bedroom.

Can I group rooms using Siri?
Yes. Just name the rooms you want music in when asking Siri to play. Note that grouping via Siri only works for speakers you've added to the Apple Home app.

Hey Siri, play some jazz in the living room and kitchen.
Badge +1
Why are you giving me a link on how to add speakers to HomeKit when I said I already did that?
Why are you giving me a link on how to add speakers to HomeKit when I said I already did that?

Because the rest of the link states how to phrase the commands. Besides, I only read your one post, I had no idea you were the OP. Sorry for the confusion, next time I won't try to help at ll. :8