How to play podcasts

• 4 February 2013
  • 15 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge
For playing podcasts, I can think of three ways in which it might work:

(i) Using iTunes/MediaMonkey/etc, one downloads podcasts regularly, and Sonos sees it just like any other media file (and so, I guess, it appears in the Music Library)

(ii) Play the podcast from iTunes on an iPad/iPod/iPhone as a source for Sonos

(iii) Sonos accesses the web in order to retrieve and play podcasts.

Option is the most attractive to me - is (iii) possible, and if so how is it done?

If (iii) is not possible, does anyone use route (i), and if so how?

Thank you

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

15 replies

Podcasts are available on Sonos under Internet Radio->Shows menu, or via a subscrition to Stitcher Radio. Each service offers a search facility to let you find shows.
Userlevel 2
Badge
If I look under

Radio -> Favourites -> Radio Shows

I don't see anything. Is there some setup that I am missing? I don't mind signing up to a service, but I don't want to pay for it - I listen to podcasts too infrequently.

The specific example I have in mind (for podcasts) are those of the Royal Opera House, but anything would be a good start.
Open up internet radio and do a search for Royal Opera House. The results should include a shows tab. If there are none there, I know Stitcher has Royal Opera podcasts, and it is free to add and available globally. Simply add it from the music services menu.
how do you play old podcasts or archived podcast via Sonos or the Sonos App?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
how do you play old podcasts or archived podcast via Sonos or the Sonos App?

Hi Baggs,

Here's a guide to playing podcasts on your Sonos system. Let me know if you have any questions.
Badge +1
I have downloaded podcasts using the iPad app but they do not show up in the on this iPad list. None of them. But they are there if I open the app. I have the lastest iOS and sonos version
Userlevel 1
Badge +2
I have downloaded podcasts using the iPad app but they do not show up in the on this iPad list. None of them. But they are there if I open the app. I have the lastest iOS and sonos version

To check that these podcasts are definitely downloaded onto the iPad, could you temporarily disconnect your iPad from your wi-fi network, then go into the Podcasts App, then try playing one of these podcasts? If it plays on the iPad, can you try uninstalling and reinstalling the Sonos App onto your iPad, then reconnecting it to your existing Sonos system?

If you're still not seeing anything under 'On this iPad > Podcasts' can you submit a diagnostic and reply here with the confirmation number? Details on how to do this can be found here: https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/142
The Podcast-Integration is absolutely poor! Why is there no posibillity to Import opml-files? My favorite Podcast App Pocket Casts is not Supported.
And finally the only supported network which sonos has integrated, trueRadio is for radio (nomem est Omen) and not good suitable for Podcast.
Userlevel 4
Badge +4
Please add support for Overcast, the best podcast player for iOS. Tried most of them.
bought my first sonos today a play 3 for my bedroom after being impressed by its sound at friends house, taking it back first thing tomorrow due to lack of podcast support, i genuinely cant believe a company that prides itself on its technical prowess and charges a premium price hasnt addressed this in 2016 despite large numbers of customers wanting this. Google cast can deal with podcasts flawlessly so why cant sonos?
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
bought my first sonos today a play 3 for my bedroom after being impressed by its sound at friends house, taking it back first thing tomorrow due to lack of podcast support, i genuinely cant believe a company that prides itself on its technical prowess and charges a premium price hasnt addressed this in 2016 despite large numbers of customers wanting this. Google cast can deal with podcasts flawlessly so why cant sonos?

Did you not think to find out if it supported podcasts and hence provide you with a service that you require. You have managed to find this thread easily.
I hope you undertake proper research for a multi-room, multi-user speaker system when buying a replacement.

Just buy a decent bluetooth speaker. Perfect for the job...

Did you not think to find out if it supported podcasts and hence provide you with a service that you require. You have managed to find this thread easily.
I hope you undertake proper research for a multi-room, multi-user speaker system when buying a replacement.

its such an obvious thing for it to do i presumed it would play podcasts. Its a web based audio file, its like it not playing blues music, makes no sense

its such an obvious thing for it to do i presumed it would play podcasts. Its a web based audio file, its like it not playing blues music, makes no sense

I agree with jameshay. It's like buying a Ferrari only to find out it doesn't have turn signals.
Badge
Please add support for Overcast, the best podcast player for iOS. Tried most of them.

Totally agree. Overcast support would be awesome.
Userlevel 1
Exactly. And once you find out that your Ferrari doesn't have turn signals, there's someone telling you "you didn't check the manual if it had turn signals? it took you like 3 min to get this info from the manual".