How to like/thumbs up songs with YouTube music and Sonos?

• 2 June 2020
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 1

Is this doable at all? So far, the Sonos app does not appear to have this feature, and even using the google assistant ‘hey google, like this song’ results in ‘Sorry, I don’t understand that’. 

For a company priding itself on bringing the music to you, this seems like a huge oversight, especially since YTM has no other way to like a song when it is playing on another device, that I know of.

Any help is appreciated here. I want to use youtube music more and have the ability to like the songs / dislike so it can then give me more personalized results. And I love the sonos sound.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

The UI in the Sonos app is the sole responsibility of the music service implementing their service.  Sonos supplies a full featured API.  It is up to the service to make full use of those features.  If you are looking for a particular feature, it is best to lobby directly to YouTube as well as Sonos.

This is a Sonos issue.

If you open YouTube Music on your mobile device, you can see the thumbs up and down when you play a track.

I'm sure Sonos will be busy refining their new app to bring back lost details.

This is a Sonos issue.

If you open YouTube Music on your mobile device, you can see the thumbs up and down when you play a track.

I'm sure Sonos will be busy refining their new app to bring back lost details.

Sonos reps have repeatedly stated that UI issues like this are programmed by the services using the Sonos API, not by Sonos themselves.  Therefore, it is up to the service to make their Sonos UI as similar to their own apps as much as they can.  If you have evidence which proves this is untrue, and that it is actually Sonos who is responsible for the UI, I would like to see that evidence.  

My own experience is that YouTube Music hasn't changed, however, the loss of the thumbs up/ down has only happened when updating to the new Sonos 2 app

It is early days with the new Sonos app and I expect Sonos to find a solution even they need the help of Google.

My own experience is that YouTube Music hasn't changed, however, the loss of the thumbs up/ down has only happened when updating to the new Sonos 2 app

It is early days with the new Sonos app and I expect Sonos to find a solution even they need the help of Google.

I haven’t migrated off of S1 and this is still an issue for me. So either it’s not available via the Youtube Music API or Sonos hasn’t enabled it.

Userlevel 1

This is a big one for me. I'm pretty invested into youtube music since I came over from Google play music and all my thousands of uploaded tracks are there, plus my playlists. It's a huge bummer not to be able to like, thumbs up, or even add to a YouTube music playlist if songs I like. 

I get that sonos is trying to pass this onto YouTube, but I have to imagine that this is the second or third most popular streaming service on their hardware. Sonos needs to make it work well. Google is trying to get people to leave sonos for its own hardware ecosystem and there's no reason for them to play nice with feature requests