How to add play a MP3 (or WAV) file

• 20 October 2013
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge
I have downloaded an MP3 audio file -- and would like to play it through my Sonos setup. ie, Laptop to Play5.

In desperation I converted the MP3 file to WAV, hoping it would drag from WinExp onto Sonos Queue.
Neither MP3 nor WAV will "drop." onto Sonos queue. :o

The MP3 file weighs in at 24.6 MB BUT the WAV files weighs in at a mind boggling 295 MB.
I used "MP3Decoder"

How can I play my downloads on my Sonos speakers ? :)
-----
Play5 x2
PlayBar x1
Sonos Bridge
Toshiba Laptop (with Sonos software)
Toshiba Tab2 10 (with Sonos software)

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Userlevel 1
Have you configured your Sonos to point to your local music library or have you just been using online services for music?
Userlevel 2
Badge
Thanks "the-ihc" for your response :)

Have you configured your Sonos to point to your local music library or have you just been using online services for music?
I feel like an idiot. I have just figured it out.

Sonos has only been used so far for internet radio.
Very early in our Sonos experience (about 3 months ago) I must have pointed Sonos at my "C:\Sonos\Music" folder.
(I don't use Windows libraries, preferring an ExHD for non-music data storage)
Today I downloaded a MP3 podcast (radio documentary) that I wanted to play on our Sonos speakers.
I have worked out (I think) that MP3 will not play on Sonos ! Is that correct?

I copied a WAV version of the podcast file onto C:\Sonos\Podcasts -- your question "Did I point..." stirred me to check and sure enough I had not pointed the "C:\Sonos\Podcasts" in settings.
ie. on a PC
Sonos > MenuBar > Manage > Settings > Music Library > Folders (tab)
... now I know how.
[color=black]The grand plan is for a NAS Raid5 setup, but work demands keep getting in the way of Sonos fun and play.[/color]
-----
QUESTIONS
1. Will Sonos play MP3 files (the WAV file is huge) ?
2. If PC goes to sleep, will Sonos also fall asleep ?
3. Can you recommend a MP3 to WAV converter if answer to Q1 is NO

Thank you for your help, much appreciated 😃.
1. Yes, my library consists of nothing but MP3 and it works fine
2. If the PC goes to sleep, Sonos will lose connection to its music source, so it will stop playing. You can choose to never let your PC fall asleep, or you could put your music on a NAS, as per your grand plan 🙂
Userlevel 3
Badge +5
code:
QUESTIONS
1. Will Sonos play MP3 files (the WAV file is huge) ?
2. If PC goes to sleep, will Sonos also fall asleep ?
3. Can you recommend a MP3 to WAV converter if answer to Q1 is NO
1. Yes. Here is a list of supported formats.
2. If your music is on the PC, then it needs to be running for Sonos to find the music. If you're just using it as a controller, then Sonos will continue to play music happily without it.
3. There are a number of programs or on-line services to convert audio formats. I don't do it enough to recommend one. I would never go from MP3 to WAV though. Instead I would go from WAV to MP3 (for size) or FLAC (for music quality). Personally I use MP3 at 320kbps whenever possible. Some here swear by FLAC, but my ear can't tell the difference.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Thank you [COLOR="DarkRed"]johnseay[/color] and [COLOR="DarkRed"]Sjoop1985[/color] for your support :)
So much to learn ;)

With Sonos closed.
In an already "Sonos-registered " folder (C:\Sonos\Podcasts) I replaced a WAV file with the MP3 version. Closed WinExp. Opened Sonos controller, but the WAV version is still listed.
In fact two MP3 files I just placed in "C:\~\Podcasts" are not available in Sonos.
I assumed when I opened Sonos controller it would update itself with my changes in the already nominated/pointed folder.
Will rebooting the Win7 laptop fix the "podcasts listing ?
Do I have to "repoint" Sonos to the podcast folder ?
Must the laptop always be on WiFi and not LAN for the Sonos controller to "integrate"
My knowledge of Sonos jargon is almost limited to "on" and "Off" 🆒

Thank you for your patience 🙂
I assumed when I opened Sonos controller it would update itself with my changes in the already nominated/pointed folder.
You have to get Sonos to rescan the library shares to pick up the changes. In the Desktop Controller choose Manage/Update Music Library Now. This should be a speedy operation as Sonos only reads files which are new or have been modified since the last scan.

It's possible to have Sonos automatically rescan the library once a day at a set time.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Ratty +1 +1 🆒
WOW what a quick reply. ;)

Thank you for your support.
I find the Sonos System Help and Technical Support Website ... incredibly unhelpful.

Thankfully this forum is well supported. My experience so far has been excellent.

Once again ... thank you 😃
When updating my library, I have some mp3 files that for some reason aren't copying over to the music library even though a bunch of other files from the same folder are copying over to the library. Any idea why this is?