Answered

how do you play instagram live stories on sonos play 5?

• 22 March 2020
  • 12 replies

• Contributor I
  • 0 replies

Sonos interoperability with Instagram

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 23 March 2020, 02:25

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

12 replies

There isn’t any currently. Sonos isn’t a web browser. You could potentially stream a ‘story’ to your TV, and have the TV send the audio to a connected Sonos device. 

Moderator Note: Great advice in this topic. One thing to add: You could always use Line-In on the Sonos PLAY:5. 

It's a shame. Could you think to make it possible in a futur version?

Thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

I assume you could Airplay it from your phone to an airplay-compatible Sonos device.

Sonos doesn’t have the ability, perhaps as a legal issue, to hijack other people’s streams. What they’ve done is create an API along with instructions and assistance so that others can incorporate themselves in the Sonos ecosystem. You could certainly suggest to Instagram that you would love to see them implement this concept, and point them to the Sonos partners page

I am able to play my Instagram stories (or anything from Safari) on my iPhone. This only works in Safari and not from the Instagram app. Once logged in and the story is playing, swipe to bring up the iOS control panel, and you will see in the top right a window that allows you to choose where the audio will play. My Apple TVs and Sonos speakers show here as choices.

I am able to play my Instagram stories (or anything from Safari) on my iPhone. This only works in Safari and not from the Instagram app. Once logged in and the story is playing, swipe to bring up the iOS control panel, and you will see in the top right a window that allows you to choose where the audio will play. My Apple TVs and Sonos speakers show here as choices.

Just tried this method it worked flawlessly, I also then tried the same thing when playing it through the instagram app and it worked as well.   Start the audio on the story or live audio on instagram swipe down connect the airplay to your Sonos speakers and enjoy.  Thanks for the great tip!

Just tried this method it worked flawlessly, I also then tried the same thing when playing it through the instagram app and it worked as well.   Start the audio on the story or live audio on instagram swipe down connect the airplay to your Sonos speakers and enjoy.  Thanks for the great tip!

Thanks for the tip but I must be missing something. 1) If I attempt to play an Instagram story in a browser (Safari or Chrome) on my iPhone (tried both iPhone 11 & iPhone 8), the video/audio does not play - it only shows a ‘play’ icon with a line through it. It does however display the comments in real-time happening within the IG Story. 2) If I attempt to play an Instagram story in the iPhone app, the audio/video starts but if I swipe up/down (depending on iPhone) & try to select Airplay, the audio stops after I swipe and doesn’t allow me to play through a Sonos product. Help!

Thanks for the tip but I must be missing something. 1) If I attempt to play an Instagram story in a browser (Safari or Chrome) on my iPhone (tried both iPhone 11 & iPhone 8), the video/audio does not play - it only shows a ‘play’ icon with a line through it. It does however display the comments in real-time happening within the IG Story. 2) If I attempt to play an Instagram story in the iPhone app, the audio/video starts but if I swipe up/down (depending on iPhone) & try to select Airplay, the audio stops after I swipe and doesn’t allow me to play through a Sonos product. Help!

Which Sonos speaker do you have?

I would try and go back in the Instagram app and click Play again.  I just tried the method I outlined above and it worked perfectly iPhone 11 Pro Max.  Tested on Sonos Amp and Sonos 1 

I would try and go back in the Instagram app and click Play again.  I just tried the method I outlined above and it worked perfectly iPhone 11 Pro Max.  Tested on Sonos Amp and Sonos 1 

I have a Sonos One running the S2 OS, Version 12.0.

I should note that if an Instagram user has a post on their page that has a longer view, I can wind up getting it to play via Airplay. The challenge I run into is if an Instagram user has a ‘story’ or a ‘live story’, the method you suggested wasn’t working. My apologies if I misunderstood but is your method able to work for Instagram stories that are live at the time?

I think the iPhone is actually using AirPlay 2 to play to my Sonos One speakers. You may have done a lot of these, but in case it helps, here is a link that walks you through all the necessary updates, etc, to use AirPlay 2 with Sonos. 

https://www.imore.com/how-does-sonos-one-work-airplay

I think the iPhone is actually using AirPlay 2 to play to my Sonos One speakers. You may have done a lot of these, but in case it helps, here is a link that walks you through all the necessary updates, etc, to use AirPlay 2 with Sonos. 

https://www.imore.com/how-does-sonos-one-work-airplay

Thanks for sharing this. I already had the latest updates on my iPhone 8 & my Sonos One. The one thing in this article that I didn’t do was add my Sonos device to my Home app. I didn’t think it’d make a difference but when I tried it later today, I was successfully able to listen to an Instagram story’s audio through my Sonos One. Thank you!