Answered

how do I save my playlist to my PC

I have not been able to find any info here that shows me how I can save a playlist to my PC, I have to uninstall sonos as I believe the download was corrupted.

When I migrated my music folders to sonos, it appeared as though not all the music came over, so I want to do a clean uninstall and reinstall a new download, but I would like to be able to save my playlist to my PC if this is possible, any advice would be welcome.  

icon

Best answer by 106rallye 22 August 2020, 21:38

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

25 replies

Hi. I think there is much that you have misunderstood. When you talk of uninstalling and reinstalling, are you referring to the app?

If so, that has no effect on playlists whatsoever, as the playlist index files are stored on the speakers, not the app.

You cannot save a playlist to your PC  nor is there any need to do so.

Btw, please do NOT factory reset ANYTHING. 

What problem are you trying to solve?  What isn't working?

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

There are tens of different types of playlists that Sonos supports. Only one of them lives on your PC, if it was created by Media Center, or WMP, or some other PC program. That are known as Imported Playlists and Sonos only ever reads them, it never writes to them. Sonos Playlists are created in the Sonos app and stored in the speakers. Many music services also have their own playlists, which are stored in those cloud services.

Thank you for the reply John;

Nope, haven't misunderstood any thing,the app can be corrupted, as it was when I first installed it, it would not allow me to even access my music folders on my PC, so I uninstalled it and reinstalled it and viola, now I could get to my music folders, however when I imported my music folders to Sonos not all of the music came over.

My playlist consists of music from the folders imported from my PC, I now have close to 700 hundred songs on their that I imported from the music library, that was imported from my PC, it takes a fair amount of time to bring individual songs into the playlist, I am going to do a full uninstall then grab a different app from the Sonos site, so I was curious if their was a way to save my playlist so I didn’t have to sit here and recreate a new playlist when this this gets reinstalled.

Thank you for the reply John;

Nope, haven't misunderstood any thing,the app can be corrupted, as it was when I first installed it, it would not allow me to even access my music folders on my PC, so I uninstalled it and reinstalled it and viola, now I could get to my music folders, however when I imported my music folders to Sonos not all of the music came over.

My playlist consists of music from the folders imported from my PC, I now have close to 700 hundred songs on their that I imported from the music library, that was imported from my PC, it takes a fair amount of time to bring individual songs into the playlist, I am going to do a full uninstall then grab a different app from the Sonos site, so I was curious if their was a way to save my playlist so I didn’t have to sit here and recreate a new playlist when this this gets reinstalled.

Could you explain what you mean by ‘imported my music folders into Sonos’ , please?  What are you planning to reinstall - the app?  How has this playlist been created? In the Sonos system, i.e. it is a Sonos playlist?

You are aware that the Sonos system holds no music files whatsoever?  It certainly doesn’t sound like you understand that..

Hi John, if you open the app, go to the manage tab > music Library > music library settings > add, it then imports your music that is on your PC. So when I open the app, I go to the right column, Music library, and under that I can open and search under artist ,albums, songs, etc.I then bring the selected music into the queue.

As for the app, yes, after I uninstall the app, I intend to reinstall, after grabbing one off the sonos site. Which I am hoping will import all of the music in the music folder on my PC.

PS, I am hoping that reinstalling the app will also fix my shuffle issue.

it does not import anything, it just indexes it.  The app is just a remote control.  We still have absolutely no idea what sort of playlist you are talking about.  A Sonos playlist is just a set of indexed file locations stored on the speakers.  Sonos is just playing the music files that are on your PC.  Reinstalling the app will have no bearing on this at all.  You still appear to me to be labouring under a large number of misunderstandings, and are hoping for the impossible.

It is like you thinking that a new TV remote control will fix the problems with your TV.

Just to be clear, if all you are going to do is uninstall the app and reinstall it, this will have no impact whatsoever on Sonos playlists or any aspect of your Sonos Music Library.

Nor is it likely to cure any problems, although it still isn't clear what problems you are trying to solve.

If your plans include resetting any speakers I would urge you not to do that.

Your pretty dense John, you keep repeating your same old taking points, crapping on me and not really being of any help what so ever, do you even bother to read what I post...

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

I have not been able to find any info here that shows me how I can save a playlist to my PC, I have to uninstall sonos as I believe the download was corrupted.

When I migrated my music folders to sonos, it appeared as though not all the music came over, so I want to do a clean uninstall and reinstall a new download, but I would like to be able to save my playlist to my PC if this is possible, any advice would be welcome.  

I’ll risk trying to help. Let’s take it step by step. 

Firstly:

How did you create your playlists and music library on your PC? What app do you use on the PC?

Secondly, do you have “close to 700 hundred songs” - ie 70,000? 

Thirdly, do you understand that the Sonos app is just a remote control for the speakers?

With answers to these questions, perhaps we can move forwards. 

Edited to add: are you sure all your songs are in a compatible format for Sonos to play?

I explained in my third post how I bring music in, yes I am playing music on my sonos speakers, and no 700 not 70,000, but when I can get the rest of my music over to sonos, their will be much more, yes I do, but the music has to be available for the speakers to play it. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

But you didn’t say how you create your playlists on the pc. You don’t seem willing to help us to help you. 

Good luck in resolving this, but “I’m out”. 

Your pretty dense John, you keep repeating your same old taking points, crapping on me and not really being of any help what so ever, do you even bother to read what I post...

I do read it. I repeated things in the hope that you might eventually understand something.  Clearly you understand nothing about how the Sonos music library works and are beyond helping.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

@TDHarris52 If you explain something to someone and he does not understand you, try again and explain it in another way. Just pointing them to the part they didn’t understand in the first place does not help.

As I understand it you add music that’s on your PC to a Sonos device via the PC app. The Sonos system will then remeber the path to the music on the Sonos device and show it to you via the app on your PC or phone. It’s the same with playlists: as I understand it, if they are on your computer in the music you can add them to Sonos (I do not use this feature myself). And playlists made with Sonos are also stored on the Sonos devices and only shown to you in the app. So removing and reinstalling the app will not change playlists.

The process you are describing look more liking the process Sonos calls adding to a queue. This way you add songs to a queue/list stored on a device, but the queue is not meant to be saved. Restarting the Sonos device wil wipe the queue. You can make playlists in the Sonos app (take a look here - scroll down a little: https://www.pocket-lint.com/speakers/news/sonos/139397-sonos-tips-and-tricks-get-the-most-out-of-your-multi-room-speaker-system). The app will store them on the Sonos devices.

Playlists stored on a Sonos device cannot be saved to a PC as far as I know.

your just an arrogant d***, get out of your mothers basement would a john.

Would you like to try that again, this time in English?

at 106rallye, thank you for your reply, that is basically what I wanted to know, so thank you for your help. yeah you can ask the question again, but if the individual is to dense to understand what you are asking, then no matter were you point them or how many times you point them to the issue they still are not going to understand, ya can’t fix stupid or arrogance.

As pointed out by john in his last post, he doesn’t understand English. So obviously he cant help, cause one needs to understand English to be helpful.

There is certainly one thing I understand that, is that this forum you have to know every thing before coming on and asking for help, cause you ain’t gonna get it here when you come right out the gate being insulting you are not HELPFUL, so **************

I said you had misunderstood (which is not an insult) then asked for more information and tried to explain why I thought your question did not make sense. I started out hoping to help, but you didn't seem to take on board anything that was said. From then on it was downhill all the way.

We just don't seem to have been able to get you to accept that uninstalling and reinstalling the app has no impact on the music library or playlists. The app is not the system

Btw, your moronic, inarticulate, grammatical-error-strewn insults are water off a duck's back to me.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Well that escalated quickly. Without any reason. Jeez, why do we even try to help people like this?

Well that escalated quickly. Without any reason. Jeez, why do we even try to help people like this?

Because you don’t know you are trying to help someone who is going to react in such  a deeply unpleasant way.  And thankfully, people like @TDHarris52 are very rare on the forum.

The only one who offered me any assistance was 106rallye, as for john, well , he just likes to insult, maybe because he’s not familiar with the method I use for my sonos, or he just wants attention, so if the rest of you are offended, to bad, listen to people and don’t be offensive, that would go a long way to being helpful.

To the OP: Saving SONOS Playlists to a PC is not supported by the platform. Your “missing” tracks could be due to unsupported file formats, stray characters in the file names, or file security issues. If the file indexer encounters a bad file, the indexer will usually stop, ignoring any files not yet indexed. I suggest that you work with SONOS support to get to the bottom of this. If indexing was terminated prior to processing all of the files, Diagnostics will indicate this. Only SONOS staff have access to the Diagnostics.

Ok, I’m not missing any tracks, or any of the above that you mention, all my music plays fine, any where I play it.

I come to this forum out of curiosity, to see if I could some how save my queue in sonos, and a simple yes, or no, would have sufficed, or, possibly an alternate option may have been available, I don’t know, what I have experienced here is not good, and certainly no way to run a forum, if you don’t want to help, then don’t respond to the post. And certainly don’t if your going to insult.