Answered

How do I remove duplicate tracks from a Sonos Playlist?

• 29 November 2020
  • 7 replies

How do I remove duplicate tracks from a Sonos Playlist? The last answer to this question is from 2013 and no longer works. Thanks.

icon

Best answer by Stanley_4 30 November 2020, 06:59

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Load the Playlist into the Queue

Delete the track you do not want from the queue

Save the queue as a Playlist

The problem with this is finding the duplicates among the hundreds of songs. Is there a way to do so? Thanks.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

The problem with this is finding the duplicates among the hundreds of songs. Is there a way to do so? Thanks.

No method that I am aware of. Which begs the question: if you don’t even know if there are duplicates, why do you need to remote them?

When I have to do something like this (more frequently removing from one playlist, adding to another) I do it at the time the Song is playing. Then there’s no need to search, I  just open the controller, and take the action on the song that is there in front of me.

Yes, it might be easier if there was a better way, but in all the years something like this has been requested, it hasn’t risen to the level of importance that Sonos has implemented it. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

One of the reasons I dropped Rapsody / Napster after many years was the Sonos duplicates issue and their policy on their “Top Songs” which can see multiple versions of each song. They wouldn’t change, Sonos wouldn’t help, it was cheaper to dump them than Sonos.

Still having the issue on Sonos today, put together my Christmas playlist and several albums by the same artist have the same songs included. Spent longer cleaning the duplicates than it took to make the list.

I probably first complained about this back in 2006 or so.

A simple “sort by name” on the playlist would solve almost all the problem.

You asked “if you don’t even know if there are duplicates, why do you need to remove them?”

The answer: When I’m listening to a song I’ll think “didn’t I just hear that?” and sure enough there are multiple copies on the playlist. Sonos allows me to save the same song to a playlist infinitely: I could add the same song 100 times and Sonos would ask: “Are you sure?” It’s only when you start to listen to the playlist that you discover that you have inadvertently added the same song more than once.

I know: it’s hardly a tragedy. I just thought a well-funded sophisticated company like Sonos might have thought of adding this control feature to the software.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

If you scratch your head every time Sonos ignores a feature that sounds good or does something that leaves you asking Why? You’ll soon be down to scratching nails on skull bone.