Answered

How do i connect my CD player to my Connect and my Connect to my speakers?

Hi
I just bought a Sonos Connect with two speakers and have it working fine in the kitchen with the app on my phone. However, I bought it to connect the speakers in my lounge (regular speakers connected to my old fashioned Arcam amp), and also to connect the CD player to the Sonos speakers in the kitchen.

There seems to be no information about how to do this in the instructions. I’m trying to work out if I need a splitter for my RCA cable or something?

Thanks

Chris
icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 2 July 2019, 21:23

Probably easiest to leave the CD player connected to your Arcam Amp.

I'm operating under the assumption that this Amp has a tape connection, in which case you would connect, using a set of RCA jack cables, the Tape Out on the Amp to the Analog Input on the CONNECT. And, of course, the Tape In on the Amp to the Analog Out on the CONNECT.

Then you should be good to go.
View original

14 replies

Probably easiest to leave the CD player connected to your Arcam Amp.

I'm operating under the assumption that this Amp has a tape connection, in which case you would connect, using a set of RCA jack cables, the Tape Out on the Amp to the Analog Input on the CONNECT. And, of course, the Tape In on the Amp to the Analog Out on the CONNECT.

Then you should be good to go.
Hmmm. If you have speakers connected to that Arcam Amp, and you're playing music on the CD player, then those speakers would be slightly ahead of any Sonos speakers.

You may want to (assuming you're only ever listening to the CD player, and nothing else from the Amp) just connect the audio out from the CD player to those Analog In jacks on the CONNECT. That way, you'd be able to play CDs on both your Sonos speakers as well as the Arcam connected speakers in sync at all times.
Thank you both; I will try this tomorrow and see what it’s like.
Both of me say “you’re welcome”....;)
Oops!
Follow up question before I try your second suggestion. If I connect the CD player into the analog In jack on the Sonos, how fiddly will it be to play a CD just in the lounge (ie through the old speakers). Most of my music is played through the lounge speakers, and it's only occasionally I'll want to play stuff in the kitchen. I don't want to have to use the Sonos app to turn off the kitchen speakers (or even turn them off manually in the kitchen), as it'll get annoying. Is it possible to tell the amp to default to the main speakers?

Also, will I lose sound quality my doing it this way?

Thanks
*by doing it this way
You can set the Autoplay Room for the line in to be the Connect itself. That will mske it defsult to your amp and speakers. When you want to listen in the Kitchen, just select Line in as the music source.
Thanks, so I presume I plug the Sonos out into the CD input in the amp?
CD/Aux, any that will take it. Because the Connect can also play any Sonos source, 'CD' is not really descriptive, but it will work. My amp allows renaming of inputs, so i used 'CD' and renamed it to 'Sonos'.
The only one you should not use is 'Phono'.
Ok, so I’m wandering off on tangents here. I managed to connect it so that all the speakers play in sync. But the kitchen speakers (ie the wireless Sonos speakers) keep cutting out. That was happening when I first bought them before I added the Connect, so I bought a boost and it solved the problem. But as soon as I added in the CD player the kitchen speakers now cut out every few seconds.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
You may be pushing your WiFi past what it can support, try switching your CD to compressed audio and see if that helps.

If not a diagnostic and a direct contact with Sonos support might be in order. Grab it within a few minutes of the problem happening so the errors won't have scrolled off the logging.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
try switching your CD to compressed audio and see if that helps.

Just to add that you'll find this setting in the Sonos mobile app at:
Settings > Advanced Settings > Audio Compression > 'Compressed'

It's not a setting you'll find on the CD (player).
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Oopsie, that read a lot better in my head. Thanks.