Question

How come Pandora Plus DOES NOT WORK with Sonos speakers, when Sonos support says it does?

Badge
I have been using the free version of Pandora with my Sonos speakers for the past 4-5 years, and last week I upgraded to Pandora Plus so I could get higher audio quality, unlimited skips, and no more ads.

I've been using what I thought was Pandora Plus for the past week now, but didn't noticed much difference in audio quality. When I tried to skip through several songs, I was stopped at six skips and received the "skip limit reached" message. Further to that, I still receive ads.

I thought Pandora Plus worked with Sonos? I'm currently using three first gen PLAY:5 speakers, and one second gen PLAY:5 speaker.

When I contacted Sonos support to inquire about the issue, this is the response I received:

Thank you for contacting Sonos Customer Care.

I understand you're having an issue with Pandora Plus and Sonos. I would be more than happy to help you with this today!

With Pandora Plus you do get more features than the free version including the improved sound quality, but you actually don't get truly unlimited skips. Due to licensing restrictions not every song can be skipped with Pandora Plus. Sonos only mirrors what is happening in the native Pandora app so we don't have any controller over the amount of songs you can skip.

The response I received from Sonos support contradicts what it says on the page below:
https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/64

If you’d like to upgrade from your current free ad-supported account to a Pandora Plus account, just visit pandora.com/upgrade. After you’ve upgraded, you’ll no longer hear ads while listening to Pandora on your Sonos. Pandora Plus streams music at a higher bitrate of 192kbps.

When I posted a follow-up question to the response I received from Sonos support, they simply closed my incident without informing me.
https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/account/questions/detail/i_id/3023139

I've shelled out $2K+ on Sonos devices, and I don't appreciate getting shitty support like that. Has anyone else noticed this issue? Is there a way to get Pandora Plus to work?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

41 replies

What???? There is collaboration between Sonos and a music service? Imagine that, 😳. Many of the regular hundred-post-a-day "residents" of this community gleefully jump in and inform us that everything depends on the music service, not Sonos, when anyone questions why features don't exist, why something doesn't work as it does outside of Sonos, etc. Careful, Ryan, you might be causing them to rethink their entire purpose in life with that statement.:?
It comes as welcome news to me. Collaboration is no doubt the best way to ensure music and streaming services offer their full potential with Sonos gear.

I know you are just trolling, but hey, I'll take the bait.

As has been stated hundreds of times. by Sonos and others, the collaboration consists of the service using the Music Partners API to implement their features, with help from Sonos' if those features are not present in the API or need some tweaking. The service then submits it to Sonos for approval, after which they collaborate on testing. Nobody ever said there was no collaboration, only that the initiative is upon the service to join, develop, and if not currently available, request new features.

And by the way, here's a link to read if you don't believe me. Wear your swimmies though, the deep end of the pool can be very scary:

http://musicpartners.sonos.com/?q=docs
Thanks @Trollo for your deliberately provocative and misleading contribution to this thread..
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hey guys, let's take a breather here and listen to some music or something. In truth, you're both right. There are good reasons to ask music services directly instead of just asking us here for some features or integrations. There are also times when it's best to ask us. Some development is done by just one side but usually it's teams on both ends with specific jobs.

There are also some services that don't use the Sonos Music Partner API that is on that musicpartners.sonos.com page. Don't forget, some of our partners have been around longer than those APIs and they have different versions of different things.

In the end, there's a lot of variables and when it comes to the question of "who should I ask for ______" the best answer is probably "Everyone." Let us know if you want to see a feature. Let the service know you wish they would add something to their Sonos integration or that you'd love to see them on the Sonos platform if they aren't already.

There aren't any bad suggestions. Well, there might be, but you won't be told it's a bad suggestion by us. Just remember to keep things friendly! That's the most important part. Help people with answers to their questions or give your opinion on things, but don't forget the goal here is to get along as a community. We're all music lovers.
Badge
Wow... that escalated quickly.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi WierdG, sorry for the trouble, I'll take a look into that incident, it shouldn't have just been closed on you. Usually there are several warnings.

The Pandora unlimited skips part of their paid service isn't available through Sonos. It has to do with the way the service is integrated. I'll make sure to add your name to the support here for getting it added. The music service development is done on both sides, so we'll also let Pandora know for you too.

For now, it's just a limitation on the Sonos and Pandora integration, you can't get unlimited skip. But you'll still get the higher bit rate and you'll also get no ads.
Badge
Hi WierdG, sorry for the trouble, I'll take a look into that incident, it shouldn't have just been closed on you. Usually there are several warnings.

The Pandora unlimited skips part of their paid service isn't available through Sonos. It has to do with the way the service is integrated. I'll make sure to add your name to the support here for getting it added. The music service development is done on both sides, so we'll also let Pandora know for you too.

For now, it's just a limitation on the Sonos and Pandora integration, you can't get unlimited skip. But you'll still get the higher bit rate and you'll also get no ads.

Hi Ryan,

Thanks for getting back to me, but I'm still getting ads during playback. I should also mentioned that I'm running the beta on my speakers. Could that be the reason why I'm still hearing ads while listening to Pandora?
Badge
Nope... I downgraded to the current stable software for my speakers, and tried Pandora again. I skipped two songs, and then ran into an ad.
Badge
I think I finally got it working properly. I downgraded to the latest stable release, then rebooted my speakers. So far no ads have played after an hour of listening. I'll have to keep an eye on it though.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
I think I finally got it working properly. I downgraded to the latest stable release, then rebooted my speakers. So far no ads have played after an hour of listening. I'll have to keep an eye on it though.

Great. The ads shouldn't be playing even on the beta, I'll take a look at that. It's possible the account just needed a bit to correctly identify on Sonos as Plus.
Userlevel 6
Badge +10
The music service development is done on both sides, so we'll also let Pandora know for you too.

For now, it's just a limitation on the Sonos and Pandora integration...

What???? There is collaboration between Sonos and a music service? Imagine that, 😳. Many of the regular hundred-post-a-day "residents" of this community gleefully jump in and inform us that everything depends on the music service, not Sonos, when anyone questions why features don't exist, why something doesn't work as it does outside of Sonos, etc. Careful, Ryan, you might be causing them to rethink their entire purpose in life with that statement.:?
It comes as welcome news to me. Collaboration is no doubt the best way to ensure music and streaming services offer their full potential with Sonos gear.
Badge

Great. The ads shouldn't be playing even on the beta, I'll take a look at that. It's possible the account just needed a bit to correctly identify on Sonos as Plus.

I wonder if the change just didn't take effect? I find usually unplugging the speaker's power cable and then plugging it back in again gets things working, and it tends to pull the updated info from the music services.
Userlevel 6
Badge +10
You're welcome, on behalf of all who have ever received a response such as: "What have Tidal or Deezer told you when you asked them when they were going to implement this feature. They are their apps. Nothing to do with Sonos." Real quote from one of the regulars. Feel free to search for similar responses. They're everywhere.
You're welcome, on behalf of all who have ever received a response such as: "What have Tidal or Deezer told you when you asked them when they were going to implement this feature. They are their apps. Nothing to do with Sonos." Real quote from one of the regulars. Feel free to search for similar responses. They're everywhere.

You're a genius, sir, the SonosLabs are utterly meaningless.

MY SERVICE IS AVAILABLE IN MULTIPLE TERRITORIES, AND SOME CONTENT IS AVAILABLE IN SOME TERRITORIES BUT NOT IN OTHERS. HOW DO I MAKE SURE NOT TO PLAY CONTENT WHICH SHOULDN'T BE PLAYABLE?
The most straight-forward way to address this is to check the territory the user account is in against the territory licensing for a given asset. If the territory is licensed, set canPlay equal to TRUE, if not, set canPlay to FALSE. Please see the documentation for the trackMetadata entity and/or the mediaCollection entity for more information.

MY SERVICE ISN'T AVAILABLE WORLDWIDE. CAN I RESTRICT USERS BY IP ADDRESS?
Yes. For IP addresses in territories you do not support, you can throw the Client.UnsupportedTerritory SOAP Fault.

CAN I MAKE MY SERVICE AVAILABLE TO SONOS USERS WHENEVER I'M READY?
No. You can make your service available within your development environment, but any mass distribution of your service to Sonos users (even under NDA) requires Sonos approval.

And how does your post contradict this:

"Nobody ever said there was no collaboration, only that the initiative is upon the service to join, develop, and if not currently available, request new features."

A request to ask the services when they are going to implement something is exactly in line with "the initiative is upon the service". Unless you are claiming that it is up to Sonos to "join, develop, and if not currently available, request new features" via the Music Partners program?
P.S.

HOW TO: ENFORCE SKIP-LIMITS FOR PROGRAMMED RADIO STATIONS.
Sonos players play programmed radio stations by fetching small segments of tracks, getting the next segment as the current one is nearly complete. To prevent the user from skipping tracks, simply return canSkip=false in the trackMetadata that you return. For more detail on implementing programmed radio, read our API documentation.

SonosLabs
Userlevel 6
Badge +10

And how your post contradict this:

"Nobody ever said there was no collaboration, only that the initiative is upon the service to join, develop, and if not currently available, request new features."

A request to ask the services when they are going to implement something is exactly in line with "the initiative is upon the service". Unless you are claiming that it is up to Sonos to "join, develop, and if not currently available, request new features" via the Music Partners program?

Your are asking me "how your post contradict this"? My post came before that one; I'm not a mind reader. I can't "contradict" retroactively.
The point is that posters here are relentlessly informed by a small group of frequent participants in these forums that everything they complain about when it comes to streaming services must be fixed or altered by the provider of that service. Yet, above, in response to one of those complaints Ryan, an employee of Sonos, says: "The music service development is done on both sides, so we'll also let Pandora know for you too." This indicates co-operation, co-development and communication. It is not as one-sided as the "what did [insert streaming service name here] say when you asked them about it?" and "it has nothing to do with Sonos" posters indicate.
This response is in no way meant to reflect badly on Ryan, who is answering the question honestly and who does a great job in this group. It is intended to point out that the small number of group members here who seem to want to speak on behalf of Sonos may not be as forthright or as correct as they think they are. I see the usual group of suspects has emerged since my post, who will soon be preaching to their own choir--again.
P.S.

HOW TO: ENFORCE SKIP-LIMITS FOR PROGRAMMED RADIO STATIONS.
Sonos players play programmed radio stations by fetching small segments of tracks, getting the next segment as the current one is nearly complete. To prevent the user from skipping tracks, simply return canSkip=false in the trackMetadata that you return. For more detail on implementing programmed radio, read our API documentation.

SonosLabs

So you mean the ability to allow/disallow skipping tracks is controlled in the service's implementation and not by Sonos?

Toolio, any comments? 😃

Your are asking me "how your post contradict this"? My post came before that one; I'm not a mind reader. I can't "contradict" retroactively.
The point is that posters here are relentlessly informed by a small group of frequent participants in these forums that everything they complain about when it comes to streaming services must be fixed or altered by the provider of that service. Yet, above, in response to one of those complaints Ryan, an employee of Sonos, says: "The music service development is done on both sides, so we'll also let Pandora know for you too." This indicates co-operation, co-development and communication. It is not as one-sided as the "what did [insert streaming service name here] say when you asked them about it?" and "it has nothing to do with Sonos" posters indicate.
This response is in no way meant to reflect badly on Ryan, who is answering the question honestly and who does a great job in this group. It is intended to point out that the small number of group members here who seem to want to speak on behalf of Sonos may not be as forthright or as correct as they think they are. I see the usual group of suspects has emerged since my post, who will soon be preaching to their own choir--again.

The quotes in that post came well before your reply to John B.

Also, nothing about Ryan's post contradicts anything said by the regulars around here, if you know anything about the behind the scenes process. I've linked you to the Music Partners program, you are more than welcome to educate yourself on that process. Until you do, your attacks on the regulars are nothing but an uninformed rant, with no basis in truth, and will be called out as such.
[...] Until you do, your attacks on the regulars are nothing but an uninformed rant, with no basis in truth, and will be called out as such.

To quote the wisest man who ever lived (according to his sidekick, Dr J. W., anyway):

»It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.«

›A Scandal in Bohemia‹ (1892) by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

:8
Userlevel 6
Badge +10

The quotes in that post came well before your reply to John B.

Also, nothing about Ryan's post contradicts anything said by the regulars around here, if you know anything about the behind the scenes process. I've linked you to the Music Partners program, you are more than welcome to educate yourself on that process. Until you do, your attacks on the regulars are nothing but an uninformed rant, with no basis in truth, and will be called out as such.

Indeed, I have educated myself. In fact I "re-educated" myself by re-reading the links you sent earlier. Thank you for reminding me of those. After perusing those links once again I continue to see no justification whatsoever for recurring comments such as: "What have Tidal or Deezer told you when you asked them when they were going to implement this feature. They are their apps. Nothing to do with Sonos." In fact, it has a great deal to do with BOTH Tidal/Deezer/Whomever AND Sonos, as Ryan's comment confirm.
Of course, I'll take the comments of a Sonos employee as my guide, not the broken-record replies of those in this group who believe that they speak for Sonos. I'm encouraged to know that Sonos sees working relationships with music services as a collaboration despite the fact that some group members insist on repeating the "Nothing to do with Sonos" mantra.
@Toolio, you feel you must have the last word on the subject, innit? Read the FAQ and agree to the facts.
@Toolio, you feel you must have the last word on the subject, innit? Read the FAQ and agree to the facts.

Something tells me he's a supporter of "alternative facts", lol.
Userlevel 6
Badge +10

Not at all. But I'm not going to let the same-old broken-record response go unchallenged. Again, I refer you to Ryan's response above. It is specific to Pandora because the OP asked about Pandora. Substitute "the music service" for "Pandora" for a sense of my point. Clearly, Ryan indicates development is done on both sides. Clearly, when there is a problem Sonos will speak to the music service on behalf of Sonos clients. And, clearly, the limitation is ascribed to the the integration of Sonos AND the music service. I see no reflection of the "Nothing to do with Sonos" attitude so prevalent here in Ryan's comments. Thankfully.

Actually, I see no point in Sonos and its partners not working together even more closely to ensure that Sonos customers have similar positive experiences with music, podcast and audiobook services that they have outside of Sonos. In many instances, that is not currently the case. Would that not be of benefit to all?

"The music service development is done on both sides, so we'll also let Pandora know for you too.

For now, it's just a limitation on the Sonos and Pandora integration..."

Indeed, I have educated myself. In fact I "re-educated" myself by re-reading the links you sent earlier. Thank you for reminding me of those. After perusing those links once again I continue to see no justification whatsoever for recurring comments such as: "What have Tidal or Deezer told you when you asked them when they were going to implement this feature. They are their apps. Nothing to do with Sonos." In fact, it has a great deal to do with BOTH Tidal/Deezer/Whomever AND Sonos, as Ryan's comment confirm.
Of course, I'll take the comments of a Sonos employee as my guide, not the broken-record replies of those in this group who believe that they speak for Sonos. I'm encouraged to know that Sonos sees working relationships with music services as a collaboration despite the fact that some group members insist on repeating the "Nothing to do with Sonos" mantra.

You just don't get it, do you? Do you really think we are that stupid? We all know it takes a collaboration. However, the INITIAL (I made it big, bold, and all caps for you! I'm here to help!) effort is all on the service. In summary, most "Why don't you get XYZ on the Sonos app?" posts boil down to three requests:

Add a service.
Well, Sonos cannot unilaterally add a service to their app, it requires initialization by the service.

Add a feature that exists on other services.
Well, Sonos cannot force a service to implement a feature already in their API. It requires the service to initialize the feature in their implementation.

Add a feature unique to the service.
Well, Sonos cannot read minds as to what a service needs. If it is not available in the Sonos API, it is up to the service to initialize a request for a new feature or tweak in the API.

Now, could you kindly tell me what is Sonos' responsibility in the three scenarios listed above? You may say that it is up to Sonos to relay the request to the service, and you may not be wrong. However, the "recurring comments" are merely a call for a far more direct and effective method, and one which has shown results where no other approach has worked before. It's the novel concept of eliminating the middle man and making the request directly to those responsible for making the change! How dare we suggest something so simple and effective as that!! Shame on us.
Userlevel 6
Badge +10
I have no idea why you are bringing the words "initial" or "responsibility" into this discussion. I don't recall focusing on either. Now that the entire usual group of suspects has entered this discussion, there is little point in persisting because you will all no doubt take great glee in gathering like a bunch of schoolchildren to repeat the same tired phrases. I will exit this discussion with this:
"The music service development is done on both sides,"
Ryan, Sonos Employee