How can we stream our music stored on Onedrive now that Groove Service is discontinued ?

• 3 January 2018
  • 30 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge
I've stored all my personal music on OneDrive (more than 20K songs i.e. about 100Gb). I use to play this music using Groove and it worked perfectly. Also it has been very easy to stream the music directly to my SONOS system since Groove has been added among Sonos services.
But GROOVE commercial service ended on December 31st. If we can't buy music from Groove anymore, I can still use Groove as a player (to enjoy my music on my phone or my PC for instance). But the SONOS - Groove integration is not working anymore ...
In this context, does anyone has a solution to stream OneDrive Music to SONOS system ?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

30 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21
I assume you mean Microsoft OneDrive? So music files in the cloud.

You could either download to your own NAS or migrate them to a Google Music account which allow a high number without subscription..
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
If the music is on onedrive I assume it is also mirrored on one of your PCs? In which case set that location as your Music library in Sonos. Alternatively, and a better solution, is to do as Stuart says and get a NAS drive and copy your music there.

I too used Onedrice to store my music so it can be played anywhere. Only just noticed this stopped working on Sonos, but as I use a NAS or Spotify I can't remember the last time I tried to play from Groove.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Its the playlists that are the problem, ned a fix from SONOS here. Playlists are streaming on other players, just not this one.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Its the playlists that are the problem, need a fix from SONOS here. Playlists are streaming on other players, just not this one.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
What do you mean by other players? Sonos players or other devices?
Other players >>> Playing music from your PC at home will work, however, if you want to stream music from your collection while on the road using a phone, it no longer works because of the Sonos app(s) requiring a Groove Music Pass subscription to access/connect to your cloud library on Onedrive.

Sonos could fix this by allowing connections to Onedrive directory, similar to Google music
Userlevel 1
Badge
Exactly - Groove is still streaming from OneDrive to my WIndows and iOS players - just not Sonos, so need Sonos to step up here.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Exactly - Groove is still streaming from OneDrive to my Windows and iOS players - just not Sonos, so need Sonos to step up here.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
I am pretty sure it is Microsoft who disabled the access not Sonos.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I am pretty sure it is Microsoft who disabled the access not Sonos.
I agree -- this needs Microsoft to step up, not Sonos. And they won't, because they're getting out of the music streaming business.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Other players can talk to the streaming service, just not Sonos, so they may need to update their call to the right part of the API.
Not without legal clearance from Microsoft. Which might be difficult.

Besides, Sonos has written the API for others to pick up and use. Sonos doesn't force itself on others, it maintains an open arms stance, to allow others to "publish" to Sonos.

You may get better results from petitioning Microsoft. I'm sure Sonos would be happy to work with them on this, but Microsoft has to do the initial API work.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Legal clearance isn't an issue. Microsoft is a super partner friendly company especially under Satya.
Well, certainly the other two paragraphs in my post are valid.
Through Groove or not, it would be good to have the possibility to stream from onedrive (and other cloud services, like dropbox)
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Indeed it would and as stated above the API is there. MS took the decision to stop the Sonos feed, probably to do with the agreement they made with spotify who took the Groove subscribers with them.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Microsoft disabled the SMAPI service that Groove exposed. The only way to play music on OneDrive is via the Groove app itself, which uses the OneDrive APIs, not SMAPI.

Technically someone (eg me) could write a SMAPI provider to allow access to music files on OneDrive, its not too hard. However this is a legal nightmare. It was mostly legal issues that delayed the original rollout of music-from-OD in the first place, and Microsoft have a lot more lawyers than I do (an understatement..)
Why can't Sonos make use of the OneDrive API? This decision of Microsoft is unfortunate, but I've never understood why Sonos doesn't support playing users own music they have on cloud storage like OneDrive or DropBox.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
1. Legal reasons. It requires an army of lawyers to stream music from an external url.
2. Technical reasons. Sonos deliberately doesn't use custom code to speak to each and every music service (one of the reasons for their success). It requires each service supports SMAPI, and it is the service's responsibility to keep it up.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Thanks controlav (and congrats for your nice 3rd party apps for Windows)
It's a clear answer and we should not give up.
My understanding is the following :
The music streaming from OneDrive to Sonos used to be supported within the Groove commercial service from Microsoft.
This streaming possibility became unavailable when Microsoft discontinued its commercial music Services and this streaming end is kind of an unfortunate collateral of a business decision of Microsoft taken in a different context.
Now Groove is just a Windows application (like WMP has been for 20y). It's not anymore a commercial service and this change went certainly with a reorganization within Microsoft. The Windows Product Group (which is now in charge of the Groove app) might not have realized that this functionality disappeared. Microsoft might not have any intent to limit the Groove functionalities. So Sonos should push on Microsoft for them to add SMAPI as a technical functionality within Groove Windows app.
There is some influential work to do. Hope Sonos people can read us here.
I tried mapping it as a network drive with no luck. what i am going to do is buy a raspberry pie and map Onedrive to that as a network drive and then add it to Sonos services. Problem solved
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Another option is to move to Google Play Music, which allows up to 50,000 tracks to be stored free of charge. Tracks are limited to 320kb/s MP3, and 300MB per track. It works perfectly with Sonos as well as allowing the use of the normal GPM clients to play music wherever you happen to be.
There is NOTHING stopping Sonos from streaming music from OneDrive. Neither technically, nor legally. On the contrary: OneDrive has rather good APIs that are all royalty-free and public. Point in case: "Cloud Player Platinum" on Android, which is awesome, even streaming on 3G/4G. Streams all my 6000 tracks from OneDrive beautifully. In theory, I could stream to Android and then to Sonos, but what a drag. In that case, I don't need a Sonos, I need a BT speaker system. There are a bunch of apps on the Microsoft Store that work beautifully too. So c'mon Sonos, help us stream our stuff from OneDrive and help me specifically, because you not supporting OneDrive is the only thing stopping me from buying 2-3 pairs of speakers.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
You misunderstand entirely how music service integration works in Sonos. Sonos dont write code for each and every different music service: they define an API (called SMAPI), and each service implements it. Sonos DID start by using multiple proprietary APIs (Pandora and Rhapsody) but this was quickly unsustainable. Both of those services switched to using SMAPI, the same as everyone else.

What Microsoft did at Groove was to implement the SMAPI API over their service, and it all worked great. It took a bunch of engineers, and a few lawyers, to do this.

There are MANY reasons why Sonos cannot stream from OneDrive, both technically (there is no SMAPI service any more and that is the only API Sonos speaks) and legally (streaming music over the internet requires armies of lawyers). Sure, some guys in garages do this, but they are not multi-billion dollar companies that are tempting lawsuit targets.

I say this not as some random guy, but as an experienced engineer at Microsoft who worked with both the Groove teams and Sonos in the past.
Support for streaming from OneDrive would help me too. Our Sonos is silent 99% of the time because the Library needs to be on a computer that is awake and accessible, and our one desktop computer (a Mac Mini) is used only occasionally. We're not going to leave it on and awake just to listen to music. I have 1 TB of cloud storage on OneDrive included with my MS Office subscription, and put some music up there just to stream through Groove on my phone. It seems like a perfect place to put a Sonos Library -- there are hundreds of GB just sitting unused -- but not if Sonos can't access it. Is MS waiting for Sonos, and Sonos waiting for MS?