Question

How can I play downloaded Deezer albums through Sonos when offline (ie without internet connection)

• 9 October 2015
  • 9 replies

I have spent days building playlists for an off-site party (no internet access) in Deezer (using download function) and now find that I can play via Sonos when I have an internet connection but not when offline.

How can I fix this?

This seems to be such a fundamental issue that I can't believe there is no options.

I'm slowly finding out that Sonos might sound good, but is massively limited in flexibility.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Sonos is very flexible. Online services download to a specific area for offline listening and apply DRM protection. This is expressly designed to stop other applications from accessing the files.
ratty thanks for fast response.

"This is expressly designed to stop other applications from accessing the files."

Does this mean that Sonos is classed as "other applications" so cannot access?

If this is the case, I've bought the wrong product (play 3)as I want the flexibility to play music from my provider with/without internet through external speakers.

Seems I would have been better off buying a 3.5mm jack lead and plugging my laptop in to the back of my 20 year old hifi (which is what I'm going to have to do...).
...I forgot to add:-

Sonos can access and play Deezer downloaded files when online..........it just can't so so when offline...........which makes no sense at all.
Sonos can access and play Deezer downloaded files when online
It's not accessing the offline copy. It's streaming the files directly via the Internet.

There are two ways Sonos can play local files:
- from a network share on a PC/Mac/NAS, after they've been indexed by the system
- from a mobile device if they've been put there by iTunes or, in the case of Android, saved to user storage. The files mustn't be DRM protected.

Streaming apps which offer offline listening (Deezer, Spotify, etc) store files in their own private areas. They also apply DRM so the files can't be copied and played elsewhere. Sonos is no different from other network applications in being barred access.
Thanks for the explanation, but it seems to me that Sonos accesses the files through Deezer, so no copyright is being breached. I think I'm right on this, so Sonos should be able to come up with a solution. After all, it's no different from me downloading on Deezer and then playing them on my phone or on Bluetooth on the car radio.
Sonos should be able to come up with a solution.
How on earth can they? It would mean busting the DRM protection.

If you want Deezer's private encrypted storage to be readable by third parties you'd better open a conversation with Deezer support. Good luck with that.