Hidden albums in Rhapsody?

• 12 September 2011
  • 6 replies

Badge
Sonos newbie here. I'm into a Rhapsody trial and have noticed when I search for Pink Floyd none of their studio albums from 1973-1983 appear under "Main Releases" or "Top Albums". Even searching for "Dark Side Of the Moon" under albums does not displayer their classic release. Searching "Top Tracks" under Pink Floyd displays all the radio hits and from there I can add the key albums to my queue. Is Rhapsody intentionally making it hard to find these albums? (I'm surprised they are available given they can't be purchased on iTunes of via Amazon MP3.) If so, are there any other albums Rhapsody is hiding?

Thanks.

6 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge
Hi,

I've just checked and found the same behaviour.

I've also noticed that for the last few days, that my desktop controller won't load my library by artist, but will by album, whereas all my other controllers load my library by artist without any problem.

Cheers
Chris
... are there any other albums Rhapsody is hiding?

Online music is a very strange bird. Each track must be licensed from the copyright holders and they don't always release everything in an artist's catalog. In fact you may discover a single track on an album that is not playable while all of the other tracks are available.

Further, ownership of an artist's library could change hands and the new owner might change the licensing. In a few cases an artist has disappeared after being available for several years.

Some artists, such as The Beatles allow radio like play where the listener cannot pick a particular track, but will not allow track by track play. This can be very frustrating after hearing a track on a service that one cannot play. And, the artist may limit the number of tracks that can be played per hour on the "radio" service.
Badge
Online music is a very strange bird...Interesting stuff. Thanks buzz.

I'm learning that if I don't find an album on Rhapsody that doesn't mean it's not there. This year's Zombies album Breathe Out, Breathe In was not listed under "The Zombies" who recorded Odessey and Oracle, but under a different band called "The Zombies". I just bought John Doe's new album Keeper because it wasn't listed under his available albums. I just found it under the artist "John Doe (1)".
Userlevel 2
The Rhapsody search function is garbage. I was looking for Pear Jam's album, "no code" . No matter how many ways I searched for it, it just came back.

No entry exists.

I've had this result for several searches.

Talk about "crappy search code"
Userlevel 2
Sonos newbie here. I'm into a Rhapsody trial and have noticed when I search for Pink Floyd none of their studio albums from 1973-1983 appear under "Main Releases" or "Top Albums". Even searching for "Dark Side Of the Moon" under albums does not displayer their classic release. Searching "Top Tracks" under Pink Floyd displays all the radio hits and from there I can add the key albums to my queue. Is Rhapsody intentionally making it hard to find these albums? (I'm surprised they are available given they can't be purchased on iTunes of via Amazon MP3.) If so, are there any other albums Rhapsody is hiding?

Thanks.

I searched for Pink Floyd on Napster a few weeks ago and, having seen this thread, have gone into Rhapsody/Napster and done a similar search.

From what I recall what is displayed now is just about what we got before. For example, The Dark Side of the Moon version that comes up includes a number of live tracks in the latter half of the track listings which weren't on the original album. This is exactly what I got on old Napster. Similarly, The Wall offering contains 53 tracks and is not the original album but is what old Napster also gave us.

As 'buzz' has already indicated above, this is down to licensing restrictions. It's just another brick in the wall for all of us!

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings