Hi-Resolution Audio and Sonos

Show first post

172 replies

I admit to lazy thinking.

The buffer will only serve for the source unit to get incoming streams without stuttering via the buffer. But since grouped play by definition has to be in perfect sync, no buffer can exist to remove stuttering in downstream units, because it will affect the sync. If this arises due to unavoidable circumstances, the only solutions are ethernet wiring or compressed streams if these serve to overcome the WiFi issues and allow stable music play.

And since it is silly to use compressed HD files, the solution for grouped play of these may have to be wiring alone if there are WiFi issues.

Although this compression may not be so silly - if a better master has been used, even compressed HD music will sound better than CD quality streams from not as good masters.

A question now: What is then the point of the options that Sonos now offers for audio delay for Line In? Assuming that this is just a buffer/delay and no compression is involved. The source feed is via a wire, so why the need for any delay more that the 70 millisecond one that is needed for the ADC/DAC and other Sonos processes?

I also realise that the comparison with Firesticks has a fallacy - they must use a hefty buffer to allow HD play before it degenerates to SD quality if the WiFi issues persist. But if they had to do grouped play in sync, with other Firesticks, I am sure the downstream Firesticks will not be able to cope via WiFi.

Lossless compression will not compromise the quality of an HD stream.

Multiple buffers could be used because the packets are tagged with a time to deliver -- as long as the local clocks are in sync. A track recorded decades ago will not mind being handed off to multiple buffers in order to allow synchronized Group play.

With respect to Groups, players might (depending on which nodes are wired and wireless) be facing the polluted wireless environment multiple times, once to fetch the source, once for each member of a Group, plus once for a stereo paired unit in the Group. In a SonosNet wireless mesh, the data must deal the wireless environment as communication is passed through multiple nodes. While a mesh can be self healing, there is actually more data “in the air” than in a scheme built around a central server and access point. In a polluted environment, total data is also elevated as corrupt packets are re-transmitted. At some level of pollution and traffic, any scheme will saturate and break down.

If an email or web page struggles with delivery, as long as delivery is ultimately successful, there is no major damage, but a late video or audio frame is virtually useless for its primary purpose.

Yes, but I am not sure that this will allow enough bandwidth saving to overcome stuttering in HD group play where no buffer can be used.

And for Line In, the compressed mode that is used for stable play in compromised WiFi environments is lossy compression. Although even this is not something that is audibly a compromise to most unbiased ears.

Yes, but I am not sure that this will allow enough bandwidth saving to overcome stuttering in HD group play where no buffer can be used.

Buffering is always used. It’s impossible to deliver a real-time stream over an asynchronous network without a playout buffer. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

With respect to Groups, players might (depending on which nodes are wired and wireless) be facing the polluted wireless environment multiple times, once to fetch the source, once for each member of a Group, plus once for a stereo paired unit in the Group. In a SonosNet wireless mesh, the data must deal the wireless environment as communication is passed through multiple nodes. While a mesh can be self healing, there is actually more data “in the air” than in a scheme built around a central server and access point. In a polluted environment, total data is also elevated as corrupt packets are re-transmitted. At some level of pollution and traffic, any scheme will saturate and break down.

I sort of understand this, the bandwidth is shared between all devices, and can go up exponentially if there are re-transmissions. I’m trying to figure out the ‘best practice’ for minimising the wasted bandwidth in the SonosNet mesh.

I have learnt that starting a group from a wired device gives me best results, is there any advantage from starting it from a wired stereo pair? I recall its the left speaker that is best to be wired if possible?

Thanks!

Managing SonosNet bandwidth demand in groups isn’t quite that clear cut. A standard rule of thumb is indeed to start from a wired ‘room’ when building the group.

But imagine a scenario where the ‘Group Coordinator’ node is several wireless hops out from the wired network, yet its group peers are very close to it. Since the intra-group streams should go peer-to-peer by direct routing -- with good signal strength and low interference -- then everything could be absolutely fine. 

Buffering is always used. It’s impossible to deliver a real-time stream over an asynchronous network without a playout buffer. 

I don't get this; how can a downstream player in a group use a buffer to ensure that it plays music in a stable way and still remain in sync with the upstream - in the group - player to it? It will then always lag behind the upstream player.

I don't get this; how can a downstream player in a group use a buffer to ensure that it plays music in a stable way and still remain in sync with the upstream - in the group - player to it? It will then always lag behind the upstream player.

Not the way it works at all.  The master unit sends out the data stream to all grouped devices, and play doesn’t start on any of the group until all devices have sufficient buffering.  Then, the timing logic/cues in the data are utilized for all to play from their buffers in sync. 

I suggest you re-read buzz’s post.

A downstream player doesn’t play data as soon as it gets it. Playout is regulated by its internal clock, which is frequently synchronised across the group. 

Which I suspect is why there is an amount of crosstalk between Sonos speakers, so that they’re all aware of each unit’s timing.

‘Chatter’, maybe. ‘Crosstalk’ traditionally has connotations of undesirable audio effects.

Timing information is exchanged within groups (and bonds) via SNTP messages in order to synchronise playback.

Poor choice of words on my part, indeed chatter is a better term. Thank you.

Kumar,

Consider the case where you must attend a very important meeting and you must be exactly on time. You will create a “buffer” by planning to arrive at the venue a little early then, using your wristwatch (that has been synchronized with the timezone), you’ll walk in exactly on time. Actually, there could be multiple “buffers” as you arrive at train and bus stations along the way.

This is the sort of issue that SONOS must solve -- wired or wireless, mesh or not. Audio must be delivered to the speaker on time -- regardless of little traffic jams along the way..

Not the way it works at all.  The master unit sends out the data stream to all grouped devices, and play doesn’t start on any of the group until all devices have sufficient buffering.  Then, the timing logic/cues in the data are utilized for all to play from their buffers in sync. 

That is as good an explanation as any as to how group play uses buffers in every unit involved. So my lazy thinking was correct after all!

But then it makes the Firestick question relevant as seen in my specific use case below:

Firestick supplied TV, stereo audio line out wired to line in on Connect at one side of the room. On the other side 15 feet away in unimpeded line of sight, Play 1 wired to 2011 make Apple base station.

The Firestick plays HD streams flawlessly, wirelessly received from the base station, with no pixelating or degraded video. But the play 1 when grouped with the Connect cannot wirelessly play just the audio part of the same signal on Sonosnet without stuttering. Sonos Support was involved, but they ended up with the ridiculous statement that “TV audio streams are too heavy for the Connect”, and washed their hands of the matter. I wired the Connect back to the router, learning how to make and crimp ethernet cables in the process that was a cool learning, and other Sonos units as well that I need for grouped play for the TV audio. And even now, a wireless play 1 away at the other end of the open space will stutter when added to this group, but that is not a big deal for me, because the wired group play now works flawlessly for all places where I need it to.

So it will be interesting to read about what happens when the shiny new S2 systems start playing HD streams wirelessly in grouped mode.

The Firestick plays HD streams flawlessly, wirelessly received from the base station, with no pixelating or degraded video. But the play 1 when grouped with the Connect cannot wirelessly play just the audio part of the same signal on Sonosnet without stuttering.

Apples and oranges.

The Firestick is fetching a file, in chunks, at its leisure from an Amazon server. The buffer size can be made large enough to ride out network perturbations. Latency is largely irrelevant. 

Sonos has to encode, deliver and render a stream within ~70ms of receiving it. The buffer size is constrained by the latency requirement.

@ratty I understand what you are saying - all I am saying at the end is that my experience using line in over the years suggests that HD group streaming wirelessly is going to be quite interesting to read about whenever S2 commences with these streams.

And it seems to me that the now ancient source Connect is flawlessly doing all it needs to in 70 ms - else wired would not work either which it does with the 70 ms delay not causing any noticeable lip sync issues. The problem is with the other units in the wireless group. Or, in my case now, with the sole such unit if I try to add it.

@ratty I understand what you are saying - all I am saying at the end is that my experience using line in over the years suggests that HD group streaming wirelessly is going to be quite interesting to read about whenever S2 commences with these streams.

As we try to point out, your Line-In experience is not relevant.

Streaming of HD files (or any other type for that matter) on Sonos would be akin to the way your Firestick works. 

As we try to point out, your Line-In experience is not relevant.

Streaming of HD files (or any other type for that matter) on Sonos would be akin to the way your Firestick works. 

Right, so you are saying that grouped wireless play of HD files will work as flawlessly as my Firestick does HD TV. 

An Amazon Firestick isn’t capable of grouping itself with other Amazon Firesticks in order to play synced HD Video on multiple TVs. It’s moot to compare standalone devices with the particular requirements of multiroom systems.

Userlevel 2
Badge

And some people blindly believe what the books say without trying out themselves.

I used to believe the books too. Until I tried it out myself to see if high res made any difference and sure thing it does.

I an an electronics engineer myself. The way digital music is stored, it does not capture all the information. There is definitely loss based on sampling rate. This I learnt at college.

Some say you can’t make out the difference. But so many people can make out some difference. I think you just have to hear it out yourself and figure out whether you can.

I come with no bias. I heard it myself and made the determination that I can hear better at high-res. My own music, I play back at high-res only because otherwise it loses a lot of the “warmth” = mid & low frequencies. I can only make out the difference in that. Everything else feels the same between CD quality and high-res.

I have come to that conclusion, that hires audio is important in production and mixing - when the final result is to be sent to the listener 16-bit/48kHz i perfectly enough IF the encoding is done right - aparently many MP3 etc encoders are of very poor quality and produces the bad audio that we experience. SO either use 16bit/48kHz lossless OR use a quality encoder (when using a music provider like Google) you are at their mercy...

Badge

Well to answer the Original question, I am one of the few one that has a use to the Sonos High resolution. I play sometimes files ripped on my Sony PS-HX500. They sound excellent and if the original album is good they sometimes sound more pleasant (Pleasant rather than detailed) than CD quality streamings from Amazon Music, in the real life sometimes I have had to do the opposite, down convert some ripped files to AAC because the album is sibilant or has some distortion that my Sonos amp can show. When I stream the same file on a Bluetooth speakers from my iPhone this distortion is hidden by the digital filters, hence yes I can notice a different but I have had sometimes to do the trip in the opposite direction to lower resolution files to hide some bad harmonics from the original Vinyl. On the other  there is higher resolution than CD and this is why they are called masters, modern Vinyl is cut from digital masters made at 24/96. The point is if this makes any difference in the Home Audio my answer is probably not but the conversion of any file to higher or lower certainly does even if just altering the loudness. I myself had to buy an app for my mac “bit perfect” to make sure the mac DAC is set at the same rate than the file being played as it completely changes the loudness or the way it sounds. Sonos cannot be different but before adapting S2 to streaming to higher quality I’d rather have my amp reading less compressed files like Dolby Digital Plus, this is way more likely to have an impact. I believe that Sonos should update the software to improve the reading of this kind of files even if it has to convert to 24/48. Compatibility and proper reading is more important than the resolution itself. The ones who writes this has bought more CD’s in this Year than LP’s so I am not sold to the Hi-Re hype but find incomprensible that SONOS doesn't have a wider file compatibility as the Hardware had the capabilities   since the Original Play:1 Play:3.