Hi-Resolution Audio and Sonos

• 14 December 2018
  • 82 replies

Show first post

82 replies

Gentlemen, differing opinions aside, let's reel it in, shall we? Clearly this is a topic that you all feel passionate about but try to keep personal attacks out of it. Thanks.

Nyquist-Shannon is not opinion, nor is the fact that the linked article is 100% hogwash.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Didn't it play hell with the record cutters to even get the JVC CD-4 or Quadradisc 18 to 45 KHz sub-carrier cut? And of course it took a special stylus shape to get it back off the records too as the conventional ones didn't fit in the 45 KHz grooves.
My school must have been retarded because we did not dive into Nyquist–Shannon in year one.

I am no engineer, but I am guessing there is lot of ground to cover in electronics engineering before getting to DSP, sampling theory and principles, and the theorem. And if it is covered as early as year one, it would not be grasped by most students.
And I also find it difficult to believe that an engineering textbook would promote this pseudo science; these beliefs arise from a mish mash of reading half baked sources of information that proliferate on the net.
I can well imagine the kind of harsh responses that would be seen to this rubbish on Hydrogen Audio, where providing blind listening test based conclusions backing such claims are part of the terms of service. Of course, believers cast doubt on the concept of such tests as well, which circles us back to the science v religion situation of people basically living in two different universes.
Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Gentlemen, differing opinions aside, let's reel it in, shall we? Clearly this is a topic that you all feel passionate about but try to keep personal attacks out of it. Thanks.Nyquist-Shannon is not opinion, nor is the fact that the linked article is 100% hogwash.

Regardless of your respective standpoints, there's more polite ways to express them than some of what I've seen in the last dozen or so responses.

there's more polite ways to express

While I agree that we need to be civil, I trust that castigating with reason a statement offered, is not confused to be an attack on the person making said statement.
Badge
They asked for results of a scientific study. Here you go:

http://www.aes.org/e-lib/browse.cfm?elib=18296
First, stop posting the same matter in more than one thread.
Two, the link, in case you haven't realised, is a meta study, nothing original in itself. And does not become scientific just because it uses the buzz word "meta"; it is just a study of articles on the subject, many non scientific. Ergo, GIGO.
Third, it is from 2016 and there are rebuttals that we are also familiar with as under:

First, from someone that subscribes to the Hi Res philosophy at the mastering stage, who points out that all the study does is point out what needs to be done in a new study! :

http://www.realhd-audio.com/?p=5755

And then a 16 page discussion on HA, nixing this mere collection of old articles:

https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php/topic,112204.0.html

And of course ranged against this, there are the Kool Aid drinkers of Hi Res aplenty that claim this as manna.

So, as always, East is East and the West is West, with no meeting possible by their nature, between the twain.