Answered

Help with CBC Service on Sonos -- programs "no longer available"

Userlevel 1
Badge

CBC Service problem: For the past couple of days, any CBC program I try vis the service in Sonos is "no longer available." Streaming works fine on the CBC Radio and Music app, but not via Sonos. Any tips?

icon

Best answer by Mr. T 29 June 2022, 23:52

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

17 replies

Which ‘service’ are you using in the Sonos controller? 

Sometimes, radio stations choose to be associated with different streaming companies, but don’t consider telling anyone when they change. I’d be looking at all the radio streamers to see if CBC has moved. Off the top of my head, TuneIn, myRadio, Radio.com, iHeart Radio are some of the various distributors, but there are likely more, if you look. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Thanks for the reply.  It’s actually the CBC service I set up in Sonos.  I’ve been using it for years, I might try one of the other radio services to tune into the CBC channels if I can’t get the CBC service fixed.  Thanks.

Aha, I didn’t realize/check that they actually had a service in Sonos, so my apologies.

Essentially, all that the Sonos controller does is point to the servers that CBC has told them to, which feeds data to the interface in the Sonos controller. But the people who “own” those servers are the CBC, and not Sonos, so if they’re not feeding data properly back to your system, your best bet is actually to complain to the CBC, rather than Sonos. 

Sorry not to both understand your initial post, and not to be more helpful. 

Userlevel 3
Badge

CBC Service problem: For the past couple of days, any CBC program I try vis the service in Sonos is "no longer available." Streaming works fine on the CBC Radio and Music app, but not via Sonos. Any tips?

Are you located in Canada or elsewhere like the United States?  I’m having the same issue at my location in the U.S.  I can still stream it fine on CBC’s website so I’m hoping this is a temporary Sonos glitch as it is not geoblocked to my PC’s IP address in the States.

Note that most companies out there use different servers for Sonos than they do for their own websites, so it’s also possible that the server that Sonos has been pointed to isn’t the same as you’re reaching on the web access portal. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Are you located in Canada or elsewhere like the United States?  I’m having the same issue at my location in the U.S.  I can still stream it fine on CBC’s website so I’m hoping this is a temporary Sonos glitch as it is not geoblocked to my PC’s IP address in the States.

I’m located in Canada, so the good news is it’s not just geography. ;-)

Userlevel 3
Badge

I sent a message via the troubleshooting link on CBC Listen’s website.

OP -- or anyone else in Canada -- maybe you could do the same so it’s not just my lone voice from the American wilderness reaching out to them with a problem. Thanks!

Userlevel 1
Badge

I sent a message via the troubleshooting link on CBC Listen’s website.

OP -- or anyone else in Canada -- maybe you could do the same so it’s not just my lone voice from the American wilderness reaching out to them with a problem. Thanks!

For Winter S or anyone else running into this problem, I notice that when I now try to access the CBC service on the Sonos Controller, there’s a notification at the top of the controller that says “CBC Radio & Music is experiencing a full outage.”  So, it’s not us.

One work-around that I found works for me is playing the CBC Listen app on my iPhone and then using airplay to stream it on one of my Sonos speakers.  It was a pleasant surprise to find that works and I can even add other Sonos speakers, so I can effectively have the same functionality.

Userlevel 7

The outage also now recorded here Sonos Status

Userlevel 3
Badge

It seems to not be working on Amazon Echo devices either. I was always able to play CBC live radio stations on Amazon speakers via Alexa’s CBC skill. When I ask her to play it now she responds that she’s playing it, but that’s followed by silence. 

Further to Mr. T, the Sonos status page states

CBC Radio & Music - playback issues
Identified - We've identified a problem with CBC Radio & Music on Sonos and are working with them on a fix. You may be unable to start playing music from CBC Radio & Music until it’s resolved.
Jun 29, 19:33 UTC

This whole thread was EXTREMLY helpful, I was starting to get a little sad.

SO glad its just a glitch.

Cheers everyone.🍻

Userlevel 3
Badge

I received a reply from CBC tech support stating the same thing as Sonos, that they are aware of the issue and working on a solution.

I suspect it might take until next week considering the long weekend for both Canada Day and the Fourth of July is getting underway.

Thank you for your email to the CBC.
Apologies for this inconvenience.

The CBC Music app on Sonos has been experiencing some technical issues for the Radio One and CBC Music live streams.

We are aware of the issue, and are working on a solution.

Please reply back in a short while if the issue doesn't clear up.

Thank you for confirming that are still able to stream CBC live Radio and Music stations on 
cbc.ca/listen website, and on your phone via the CBC Listen App.

Wishing you a good weekend.

CBC Client Services

Interestingly, CBC Edmonton via TuneIn works for me, but only Edmonton, not Vancouver, not Toronto or any other cities. 

I usually  tune in on Sunday afternoons and am glad to read this thread!  Thanks everyone.

Userlevel 3
Badge

Problem has been fixed, it’s working again today.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Unfortunately the problem is back, although this time only for the main CBC Radio 1 Toronto stream. The stream frequently stops and restarts, and occasionally fails to connect at all. I have experienced the problem with two different Sonos installations.

I reached out to CBC and they pointed to their status update about this ongoing issue (see link below) and asked that Sonos contact them at audiencehelp@cbc.ca in order to resolve this.

Note that the problem is *only* with the CBC Radio One Toronto stream, so perhaps when the CBC’s URLs were updated by Sonos Radio this one got overlooked?

https://cbchelp.cbc.ca/hc/en-ca/articles/6640395359899--NEW-Issues-connection-to-CBC-Radio-networks-on-internet-devices

How do I ask/get Sonos to reach out to CBC as the CBC has requested? Thanks.