Question

Help needed: Siri/Apple Music

• 29 June 2020
  • 1 reply

• Contributor I
  • 0 replies

Hello, everyone. I have a houseful of Play:1 speakers (stereo paired) and a Play:5 (1st Gen). After all these years, I am finally subscribing to a music service instead of using my own library of mp3’s stored on a hard disk. I currently have Amazon Unlimited and have an Alexa, so it is great to just say “Alexa, play the album XXX in the living room,” and it starts playing. But I’m fully embedded in the Apple ecosystem (desktop, laptop, iPads, iPhone, AirPods, AppleTVs). So I would really like to use Apple Music and Siri. Yes, I bought a pair of HomePods, but they are not nearly as good as a pair of Play:1’s. (I’m about to write a scathing review of HomePods everywhere I can to dissuade people from buying them.)

I have a trial membership with Apple Music right now. I’ve activated it on the Sonos App. So I can use the App to manually play music through Sonos. However, I would like to be able to use my voice: “Hey Siri, play XXX in the living room.” I know that the Sonos One has voice control and allows that. But I’d rather not replace my six Play:1’s with six One’s. I know I can save a little money by pairing a One with a One SL, but that saves only $20 per pair.

Here’s my question. Let’s say I bought a One and One SL to put in my living room so I have Siri voice control of that pair to play Apple Music. Can I use that pair to control my other speakers (Play:1’s and Play:5)? For example, if I’m in my living room, can I say to the Sonos One there, “Hey Siri, play XXX in the kitchen,” and it will start playing in the kitchen, even though those are Play:1 speakers? Or can a particular Sonos One control only itself (and its stereo partner)?

(By the way, if you have two different speakers in vocal range and tell Siri to play music, how does Sonos determine which speaker to send it to?)

I hope this made sense. If you have any better ways to solve my issue, let me know. Thank you!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @MRL.

Thanks for reaching out and welcome to the community!

This article covers how to add AirPlay-compatible Sonos products to the Apple Home app, allowing you to control Sonos using Siri on your iOS device:

Use Siri to control Sonos speakers

You can’t add Siri directly to your Sonos products, you can use Siri on your iOS device to play, group, and control Apple Music on any Sonos products you’ve added to the Home app.

If you have any other questions or concerns, don’t hesitate to reach out.