Question

Group rooms from Spotify iOS app

• 2 October 2020
  • 18 replies

Badge

I cannot create a group from the Spotify iOS app. This is what I get when selecting the option to create a group.

I was able to do last month but after a Sonos system update and/or iOS 14 and/or latest Spotify app update I only get this blank screen. 

Of course I can still create the group from the Sonos app. 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

18 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @beijiru.

Thanks for reaching out and welcome to the community!

I appreciate your detailed post here, let me help and try to figure this out.

Kindly verify the following guidelines, it will help us identify what could be causing the issue:

• Ensure that the music service app and the Sonos app are both running on the latest app versions.
  • In order for Sonos Speakers to be discovered, they have to have a Cloud Connection established to the Sonos Cloud.
  • Ensure that the Sonos app displays all the rooms/players.
  • Testing a different device will help us isolate the problem.
  • We have to make sure that the device is on the same network as Sonos

Hopefully, that helps but if not, please submit a diagnostic report when it happens, I'd start by reviewing your system and see if there’s anything causing this issue.

Let us know how it goes and if you have any questions feel free to reach out, we’re always here to help.

Important to note that Sonos did not write the Spotify app, nor do they have access to the code base for the Spotify app. Sonos did write the API that was provided to Spotify, but ultimately, it was Spotify that integrated it into their app. 

Badge

Important to note that Sonos did not write the Spotify app, nor do they have access to the code base for the Spotify app. Sonos did write the API that was provided to Spotify, but ultimately, it was Spotify that integrated it into their app. 

Yes I know. Perhaps it’s something in the request of the Spotify app to the API but I think posting it here’s is a good way to start. 

Badge

Hi @beijiru.

Thanks for reaching out and welcome to the community!

I appreciate your detailed post here, let me help and try to figure this out.

Kindly verify the following guidelines, it will help us identify what could be causing the issue:

• Ensure that the music service app and the Sonos app are both running on the latest app versions.
  • In order for Sonos Speakers to be discovered, they have to have a Cloud Connection established to the Sonos Cloud.
  • Ensure that the Sonos app displays all the rooms/players.
  • Testing a different device will help us isolate the problem.
  • We have to make sure that the device is on the same network as Sonos

Hopefully, that helps but if not, please submit a diagnostic report when it happens, I'd start by reviewing your system and see if there’s anything causing this issue.

Let us know how it goes and if you have any questions feel free to reach out, we’re always here to help.

Checked and confirm all the above. Here’s the diagnostic report 1989033831. One speaker is playing a Spotify session while the second is idle. Tried to initiate a group from the Spotify app and got the same result. Thanks! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

@beijiru I see you are trying to group rooms from the group menu. What if you try to group from one of the speakers? See picture attached.

Badge

@106rallye Yes, grouping works fine from this button. It’s the grouping from within the Spotify app that doesn’t work. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I seem to remember that this feature only works when you have more than two devices. @Annazel S ?

Badge

@106rallye I only have two devices but I remember I was able to create a group from the Spotify app last month. Perhaps I am mistaken…

I can also confirm that if I create a room from the Sonos app, I can choose the group from the Spotify app. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Working from the Spotify app circumvents the Sonos app. I’m not sure both grouping options are working the same way.

Same issue for me. Have to switch to Sonos app to group my devices 

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @mikhail.vs

Thanks for reaching out, let me check it for you.

Are you seeing all Sonos devices on the Spotify app as an individual target speaker?

Here are some guidelines for troubleshooting direct control issues:

• Update the music service (Direct Control) app and the Sonos app. Only the latest app versions work with Sonos.
  • In order for Sonos Speakers to be discovered, they have to have a Cloud Connection established to the Sonos Cloud. . In order to have a Cloud Connection, they have to be Securely Registered and have a proper network connection.
  • If the Sonos App can't see the Rooms, the Direct Control App won't work.

Kindly submit a diagnostic report through the Sonos app when the issue occurs, and reply with the confirmation number. I'd start by reviewing your system as well as the status of the devices, it will also help in identifying what's possibly causing the issue.

I’m looking forward to assisting you further from here.

If you have any other questions or run into any issues,  please do not hesitate to reach out,  we are always here to help.

Same issue when app switch happens between Spotify and Sonos. Results in Sonos app loading with a blank screen. Pressing Done results in music stopping, cancel returns to Spotify.

Network is OK, devices restarted but no improvement. 

This was working prior to recent updates / iOS14 - has been broken for some time now. Would be great to get an indication if the issue is with Spotify or Sonos and then the bug can be routed accordingly. 

Diagnostics report as requested: 243721668

Thanks

Adam

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @ajratcliffec.

Thanks for reaching out and for your effort in submitting the diagnostic.

Upon checking the diagnostic report, there are errors detected by the system and it shows here 2 different devices broadcasting different WiFi networks. Updates on the Sonos Controller come from the service itself and relies heavily on the network to update the Sonos controller.

At this point, we would need to check your network set up and how Sonos is running on your system. 
Knowing how and through what Sonos is connecting is the great foundation for troubleshooting this successfully.

• May I have the make and model number of any wireless router and/or Access Point that exist on the network? It’s best if we can check any known issue or if there’s an additional configuration needed on the device that is essential for Sonos.

• Please indicate also how these devices are connected to one another (wired or wireless).

Alternatively, it would be best to reach out to Sonos Support to take a closer look at this and discuss it with you in real-time to expedite the process. I suggest our phone team for they have more resources available on their system for advanced troubleshooting, and the tools our agents can use would be very useful in this case, there can be an advantage if they need to remote into the computer/controller to see what's going on.

If you have any other questions or run into any issues,  please do not hesitate to reach out, we’re always here to help.

Hi @Annazel S, thanks for coming back to me so quickly. 

There’s one SSID with two APs running as a mesh, perhaps this is what you saw in the diagnostic data. I isolated this as the cause by switching off the additional AP. Same result from the same test.

The two APs are made by Arcadyan (supplied by ISP). All Sonos products connected to the wireless LAN (not using ethernet anywhere currently).

As for networking, nothing has changed from when the feature was working and now - I know this as I run my own network with a pfSense appliance and it is under my control. I’m curious as to what the errors are that you identified as generally speaking I experience no connectivity issues.

I repeated the diagnostics report again with just the one AP switched on - #1147430393.

Best,

Adam

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @ajratcliffe.

We appreciate the time and effort you've spent troubleshooting with us, but at this point, it would be best to reach out to Sonos Support so we can take a closer look at this in real-time to expedite the process.

I suggest our phone team for they have more resources available on their system for advanced troubleshooting, and the tools our agents can use would be very useful in this case, there can be an advantage if they need to remote into the computer/controller to see what's going on.

If you have any questions, please feel free to let us know, we’re always here to help.

Just wanted to chime in and say that – with the same constellation – this happens for my SONOS/Spotify setup as well. Mesh network, iOS App.

Same issue on my end. I was always able to group rooms directly from the Spotify App, but since the latest update this is not working any more...grouping is only working directly in the Sonos app.

Just as a reminder, Sonos engineers would not have access to the Spotify code base. While they can communicate the issue you’re seeing to someone at Spotify. they’re unlikely to be able to fix anything in the Spotify app. That would be the responsibility of the Spotify engineers.