Google Play won't cast

Show first post

69 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17
You can still use GPM from within the sonos app, which lets you easily do extra stuff like the top10 tracks from an artist.
Unfortunately sonos never give any idea of how long things are likely to take. Audible for example has not worked for well over a year. It may never be fixed or it could be tomorrow........
Hopefully this pain is part of google home integration development and will be worth it next year 😉
Free Account.

Confirmation number for diagnostics: 7322533
Another user and I have started a thread on Google Play about this issue:
https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!msg/play/WGNi--RK3q8/ebTBWcu4BgAJ

It might spur Google to get more involved if we post there as well.
Badge
I am also having this problem, and have been for about as long as this thread has existed. I didn't bother looking for a solution because it was very clear that it happened right after I updated my speaker. I just figured a patch would come out. But it's been two months now. I sure hope it happens soon. This breaks the ability to listen in the car and continue listening at home on the speaker.
Userlevel 7
Badge +25
Thanks for all the details and diagnostics everyone. We're working with Google Play Music on this one. It should only be for Free accounts being unable to play directly to Sonos. We'll let you know when we have more news to share.

If you're having trouble with a premium account or any other trouble with Google Play Music, I'd recommend give us a call on our support line.
yeah it definitely also isn't an issue with the encoding of the songs, as I've had no trouble playing a single song before
Hi All

We have been informed that the issue relating to being unable to cast to Sonos, from within the Google Play Music App has been resolved.

Make sure your versions of the Sonos App and the Google Play Music Application are fully up to date, then you should be able to cast nativley from within the Google Play Music App again.

Any problems, do let us know
Hi

I have latest version of Google play music (with Play subscription) and Sonos app on my android phone. I am unable to cast the music to sonos from the play music app, previously I was able to do it without any issues.
I signed up to the now available in India GPM yesterday, and it is casting perfectly to Sonos from my Android phone. A question: once casting starts, is Sonos net used to propagate signals to all Sonos units as is usual with my Boost wired to router installation?
Badge
I only found the feature today when playing music stored on my Android phone using Google play music. Noticed the cast button and surprised to see all my sonos devices listed. Cool. But it doesn't work, the sonos connect amp stops playing whatever it's playing and goes dead .. outputting a quiet hummmm. It's a free gpm account btw. Is this normal? Says here it's fixed.
I also just started experiencing this issue. I have a Google Pixel phone, I have Google Wifi, and I use a Sonos Bridge to run my Play 5, Playbar, and two Play 1's. Everything works through the Sonos app, but when I try to directly cast through GPM it connects for about a second and then drops. It lets me choose which speaker I want to cast to (so I believe it can see them) and then it fails. I'm on a family plan of the premium service.

I submitted a diagnostic. 7702374.
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
Hi guys, do be aware Matt's post was from April and refers to a different issue. There is currently a problem with casting from the Google Play app to Sonos speakers. We are investigating this with Google's assistance at the moment. Playback started with the Sonos app is fine, so you can use that as a workaround until we have a fix in place. We'll post again when we have any more updates on it, or it is resolved.
Any update on this or any link where we can follow the status of the issue? I really miss the option to stream from Google Play Music.
Regards
Poco
Google Play finds my Sonos device, but will not play it at all. It's defo a Google/Sonos collabo issue. I hope they don't do the same next year with their Google Assistant integration since I'm recieving my brand new Sonos One I ordered tomorrow! :8
I am also having this problem, and have been for about as long as this thread has existed. I didn't bother looking for a solution because it was very clear that it happened right after I updated my speaker. I just figured a patch would come out. But it's been two months now. I sure hope it happens soon. This breaks the ability to listen in the car and continue listening at home on the speaker. Same with me: I come in from a Jog and want to just "cast" to speakers so i can warm down with some exercise ...but instead i have to faff around finding the same tune in my local folders 😞 ...
Google Play won't cast to Sonos, It says nearby device, is this a limitation of Sonos or Google Play?

I'm guessing Sonos because I never had this issue either until the most recent update, it sucks because I want to listen to my radio mixes from play music and play music just crashes on me then but when I play anything else that I have uploaded to my library it plays just fine from both the Sonos app and the play music app. It's like Sonos or Google is limiting you I'm going to guess it won't if you have a paying subscription to play music though... How about it? is anybody with a subscription having this issue???
Really, Sonos?
I can play the music on my Pixel 2 on anything from a Samsung AV system to a lousy cheap bluetooth speaker but not on my expensive Sonos system?
Come on! Put your heads together and get this figured out! Otherwise we let the word out and Sonos sales falls and you leave it wide open for someone who can figure out compatibility (Bose? Samsung? Anybody? Bueller?).
Really, Sonos?
I can play the music on my Pixel 2 on anything from a Samsung AV system to a lousy cheap bluetooth speaker but not on my expensive Sonos system?
Come on! Put your heads together and get this figured out! Otherwise we let the word out and Sonos sales falls and you leave it wide open for someone who can figure out compatibility (Bose? Samsung? Anybody? Bueller?).

I think they changed it after I posted this because now I can listen to play music radio, ragaurless if I have a subscription to play music or not, which tells me it was Google's end not Sonos because when I posted this I had an earlier play music update and now after a recent update it's changed since. Dunno if you're having this issue still or not.
It's an odd issue really.

I just got my Sonos, so everything is new to me.

I was listening to my Sonos 3 via Cast from my Pixel 2 on Google Play. As soon as the playlist finished it lost the connection to the Sonos 3, I was unable to find the device to cast. I was able to connect via the Sonos app, but that is obviously lacking..

I had to unplug my Sonos 3 and I was able to connect to the Sonos just fine.

Wifi connection did not change, the only thing I could think was that maybe an auth token had expired earlier than it should have?

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings