Answered

Google Play Music transferring to YouTube Music

• 19 June 2020
  • 6 replies

Badge

I have just been advised by Google that the Google Play Music service will be suspended later this year and replaced by YouTube Music.  Their advice is to transfer my Google Play Music library to YouTube Music, and they have provided tools to do so.

My question is this. My current Google Play Music subscription is a free one, providing storage for a 50k song library which I can access directly through my Sonos systems.  Sonos only currently provides YouTube Music access to Premium (chargeable) accounts.  So with this change, will Sonos extend its support to free YouTube Music account holders?

icon

Best answer by Anonymous 21 June 2020, 19:30

@jay we Sorry for the slow reply and welcome to the Sonos Community. As DGR1 points out, this is something done by our music partners. We do not solicit them and they make the choice to have a music service be a premium paid service to use on our platform. As in the previous example, until recently Spotify needed to be a paid premium service to use with Sonos, but they now allow both a paid and free service to be used. What you now describe in your email from Google Play music is that they are changing things on their end.

I would not tell you to go out and buy something new from Sonos to adjust for this change from the music partner(s), but are you using an iOS device running the Sonos app that can Airplay to one or more Sonos products? If no, something to think about is weighing the cost of the music service for a year against buying a Sonos One SL, Trade up to an S2 product or look at the IKEA styled products, mainly the Bookshelf unit. The IKEA products are compatible with an iOS device for Airplay and are about the same cost as our Sonos Boost depending on your Region.

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

There are a few queries like this, and I am in the same position.

But the request should go to Google, not Sonos. It is us up to Google whether a free tier is made available that would allow us to access our libraries.

I expect Google no longer wants to provide this service for free.

Badge

Google does provide a free tier on YouTube Music.  Just the same as Google Play Music. The issue is simply that while Sonos supports the Google Play Music free service, “YouTube Music on Sonos is only available to YouTube Music Premium members”. So, unless I misunderstand (quite possible) then the issue is that Sonos needs to support YouTube Music basic members in the same way it supports Google Play Music, otherwise there are going to be a lot of unhappy Google Play Music Members when Google eventually switches this service off.

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

I not 100% sure either way, but I thought this was the same as Spotify. In the past, Spotify didn’t allow people on its free tier to use Sonos - you had to be a premium subscriber - but then they changed their policy when a bit more competition arrived. I think Sonos just makes its service available to music providers, and its on them to choose how to make use of it.

Happy for someone who really knows to put us straight :sunglasses:  

@jay we Sorry for the slow reply and welcome to the Sonos Community. As DGR1 points out, this is something done by our music partners. We do not solicit them and they make the choice to have a music service be a premium paid service to use on our platform. As in the previous example, until recently Spotify needed to be a paid premium service to use with Sonos, but they now allow both a paid and free service to be used. What you now describe in your email from Google Play music is that they are changing things on their end.

I would not tell you to go out and buy something new from Sonos to adjust for this change from the music partner(s), but are you using an iOS device running the Sonos app that can Airplay to one or more Sonos products? If no, something to think about is weighing the cost of the music service for a year against buying a Sonos One SL, Trade up to an S2 product or look at the IKEA styled products, mainly the Bookshelf unit. The IKEA products are compatible with an iOS device for Airplay and are about the same cost as our Sonos Boost depending on your Region.

Badge

Ok thanks. Airplay is an option, but Google Play was a good no cost alternative. I’ll try lobbying Google, fwiw.

@jay we Glad to know that Airplay is an option for you and yes, in general, free is always a good choice.