Google home

• 2 February 2018
  • 23 replies

Userlevel 1
Does anyone find themselves using their google home instead of their sonos system to listen to music? At first we used to turn the sonos on all the time to have better sound. Now the only time the sonos is on is for the TV or if we have a party. I was about to get some play 1 for different rooms but since getting the google home all that is on hold until i see where the technology goes. Amazing how technology shapes our decisions. Its also friggin expensive. It would be really annoying to buy all these speakers again because companies are all trying to screw each other for market share.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

23 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I did for a while find myself in kitchen just finding it more convenient to ask Alexa to play a song vs. going and getting my phone. Especially if cooking and hands contaminated etc.

Of course then Sonos brought Alexa ability - so now I just tell Alexa to play song on Kitchen (Sonos). I didn't have an Alexa device in bathroom but put a Sonos:One there so can do voice control when get up in morning etc.

Yes it is convienient. Does it replace my day to day use of Sonos controller for finding music and creating playlists. No.

But great having both.

Of course off of this will be applicable to Google Home when Sonos releases the Google Home skill and Google Home ability on my Sonos One.

I'm pretty tied in with Alexa though - having about 8 dots around house, a full sized echo, and Echo shows at home, my grandmothers house, my mothers house, and our vacation home.
Userlevel 1
Cool. Thanks for the informative reply. I agree that the convenience of having both is the key. I had considered Alexa but my son was hell bent on the google home mini and at $40 cad delivered to my office it was a no brainer. I guess ill keep waiting or pick up an Alexa.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Some people are hooking mini's to like their Play:5 for support and there is a thread where some have gotten basic control working with Google Home.

I would pickup a Sonos One - with the Sonos One you'll have Alexa now to play with but when they release Google Home integration later in the year it will then also become a Google Home. Kinda future proofs you in not having to decide here and now which voice assistant will suit you best down the road.

I'm kinda locked in Alexa because I have so many Alexa devices.
I am not sure about how the One future proofs you; I believe it locks you in, on the other hand. Using a Dot + Play 1, there is cheaper future proofing. For example, add a video interface for just the price of the Spot. The One will never do video UI.

And the One will always be disadvantaged for mic response compared to a Dot placed at a distance from the music making Play 1 unit. Just as the way the Echo is compared to the similarly equipped with mics Dot.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
My Sonos One seems more sensitive in microphones then my normal echo.

Actually a Dot + a play:1 doesn't to me seem like future proofing. If you decided to go with Google Home over Alexa then your dot is trash.

If you get a Sonos One you have Alexa now but will also have the ability to use Google Home in the future. So it is both. That is what I call future proofing.
Trashing a cheap dot to get video interface added, instead of trashing the One to do so is what I call future proofing. In my book modular usually trumps integrated.

And a Dot + Play 1 will have less invested in it than the One, so there is the money in hand to trash the Dot and buy the Mini, if desired.
Userlevel 4
Badge +6
The Play:1 is the Sonos:One for most intents and purposes as far the Sonos experience is concerned... If you're not using the built-in Alexa currently, you could just as easily hook in a Home Mini. The speakers were and likely may periodically be the same price. A Dot and a Play:1 is roughly 10 bucks cheaper currently. And you've connections to worry about. Modular is great but in my opinion as well, but integration is what the market wants... That's why hardly anyone carries a dedicated digital camera any longer, and few people buy PCs, when cameras are in phones and laptops have it all integrated now (if less capable) in a portable package.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Reminder so no one gets confused. You can’t “hook” a google mini to play:1 as it has no input. And there isn’t yet a google skill for Sonos to have it wirelessly play to the Sonos.
Userlevel 4
Badge +6
Reminder so no one gets confused. You can’t “hook” a google mini to play:1 as it has no input. And there isn’t yet a google skill for Sonos to have it wirelessly play to the Sonos.

Thanks Chris. This is true.
Even if there were a skill one would need a Play:5 or Connect to pull this off, which is, then, a far larger $$ investment for modularity.

Hoping we get some good GoogleHome / SonosOne news sometime soon.
Badge
Yes. I have been listening to the Google Home instead. Sometimes I wonder why I bought a Sonos.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I could give you lots of reasons Sonos is better. And Sonos has voice command currently via alexa with google home later this year. So Sonos is the most flexible.
Badge +12
Does anyone find themselves using their google home instead of their sonos system to listen to music? At first we used to turn the sonos on all the time to have better sound. Now the only time the sonos is on is for the TV or if we have a party. I was about to get some play 1 for different rooms but since getting the google home all that is on hold until i see where the technology goes. Amazing how technology shapes our decisions. Its also friggin expensive. It would be really annoying to buy all these speakers again because companies are all trying to screw each other for market share.

That is why I am waiting for the sonos skills to come to google home. It is convient but I found the google home lacking to sound qualtiy to fill my living room with a pleasing sound. So I switch to the home mini, and have it control my sonos with yonomi right now. I get the sound quality I get from my pair play 3, and google answer the question and control my apple music for the sonos. I really dont feel like jumping ship for google home max, they are 400 bucks each vs the 440 I paid for my 2 play 3 and free google home mini as promotion. And no support for apple music. Now I just need to wait for google assistance to be release for my 2 sonos one in the bedroom. 🆒
Does anyone find themselves using their google home instead of their sonos system to listen to music?

No.
I haven't used my Sonos speakers for 3 months now, I'm afraid - it's simply too convenient for me to select music through voice commands instead of using an app.

I just bought a couple JBL Playlist speakers as the Google Home can't fill my living room with music, but the JBL has Chromecast built-in, sobit should work seamlessly with Google Home - that's what I'm hoping for. Only had two Sonos speakers so I don't feel it as a big loss, although I really did like them. The Sonos integration landscape is just moving to slowly for me, and eventually lost my patience.
I never use my Sonos anymore. I moved it into the basement because it was easier to get google home compatible speakers. I will likely try to sell it and will not buy another. If Sonos takes this long to do something that is this common, what else will they fall behind on in the future. I don’t want to invest in that.
I never use my Sonos anymore. I moved it into the basement because it was easier to get google home compatible speakers. I will likely try to sell it and will not buy another. If Sonos takes this long to do something that is this common, what else will they fall behind on in the future. I don’t want to invest in that.

If it is "this common", can you point me to another third party multi-room speaker that is compatible with Google Assistant? How about one that is using voice control at all?
Sony and JBL both have speakers now with built in google assistant. Most other speakers like my small Bose speakers have the ability through chromecast. Even my old Samsung can use chromecast. In fact, I do not have another speaker in my house that does not have the ability either natively or through chromecast to use google assistant. The question I have is why would Sonos make Amazon available and not Google. I have connected it with Yanomi, but it is just awkward and not worth the effort.
Userlevel 4
Badge +6
I do just wish that they would hurry up and complete Google integration... Only because Alexa frustrates me to no end most of the time, while Google Home I just find far more natural and intuitive. The only thing I use Alexa for is an occasional song play, setting a kitchen timer and turning off/on a couple sets of lights connected via smart-plugs (when it works - I often just reach for the 3rd party app). All of these things Google Home can do, with the added bonus that Google normally understands what I'm saying and doesn't tell me about Somalian election law when I ask what the time is.
Yes, I agree. We have $1,000's invested in Sonos speakers but never ever use it anymore (would never buy or recommend this "ecosystem"). I got it so we could have TV sound around the house. Bought everything but playbar before realizing you needed to buy more to use it with the TV. It was having all kinds of problems at the time so I went with a small set of speakers for our TV.

Now we just got a couple of Google Home things and they are great (I tried and tried but after hours was never able to get Alexa set up on our Sonos system and gave up). We love using the easy to use "Hey Google, play ....." and it just works. I will forgo sound quality for a product that actually works any day.

Maybe I am just bitter because we spent so much and had such high hopes, now the $5,000 set is basically never used and just stays hidden away, but hey, Its Wireless!
Userlevel 1
IDoes anyone find themselves using their google home instead of their sonos system to listen to music? At first we used to turn the sonos on all the time to have better sound. Now the only time the sonos is on is for the TV or if we have a party. I was about to get some play 1 for different rooms but since getting the google home all that is on hold until i see where the technology goes. Amazing how technology shapes our decisions. Its also friggin expensive. It would be really annoying to buy all these speakers again because companies are all trying to screw each other for market share.

I removed the Sonos Play:3s from our Master Bedroom in favour of Google Home. Not as good for sound quality but far more convenient. I haven't checked the status of Sonos integration with Google Home but last time I did, I believe it was Q3 '18
Userlevel 1
Badge +2
I have two Sonos One's and the sound quality is the best I've ever experienced. So my answer to your question is absolutely not. The wifi connection has a much better dynamic range than any Google Bluetooth speaker. Even when using Spotify there is no comparison. I just hope Sonos will soon incorporate Google Home - still waiting.
Badge
I have my Play:5 hooked up to a Chromecast Audio called "SONOS" so any of my Google Homes or Mini's can be used to voice activate music control on the SONOS speakers. It's very reliable on the Play:5, but I lose it quite often in the multiroom experience, especially on my paired Play:1's. It's also very limited in what it can currently do via voice.

Can't wait for a more elegant solution from SONOS.
Userlevel 2
It seems that the longer this google assistant integration take with the sonos system, the more loyal customers will have left sonos altogether.
Alona