Google Home

Show first post

74 replies

The lack of support for BBC iPlayer, and Google Home is driving me away from Sonos. The sound from my Play 3 is the best, but Chromecast and my other audio players are more flexible and service integrated.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Chromecast dongle attached to a play:5. Instant fix.
Yes, but mine is a Play 3, so no aux in sadly.
Alexa, open Cortana!

"Later this year..." Not too far off, then. I've never used Cortana, but assume it can do Bing searches, so should have Google-like smarts.
Chromecast dongle attached to a play:5. Instant fix.not helpful for Play1 unfortunately
I really want Google Home integration. I have a smart home and I can control everything except my Sonos equipment.

Come on Sonos, when will this feature be available?

I thought their announcement was quite clear - in 2018.
quite clear that Sonos One will, but not all the other Sonos speaker, so you'll have to buy the new One!
quite clear that Sonos One will, but not all the other Sonos speaker, so you'll have to buy the new One!

Can you point out where exactly that was stated? Sonos One isn't required for Alexa support, just a $30 Dot. Why would Google Assistant support be different?

That is the scuttlebut for Airplay 2 (along with the Playbase and Play:5 Gen. 2), but nothing of the sort is even rumored for Google Assistant. All Sonos devices can utilize Alexa now, no reason they can't do the same with another brand of voice assistant. On the other hand Airplay 2 is a streaming protocol that may or may not have hardware limitations. Big difference.
[snip]
How does the escalating rivalry between Google and Amazon affect Sonos' ability to deliver on a voice assistant neutral platform? Will Amazon feel it is in their best interest to keep working with Sonos once Sonos starts prioritizing resources to the rollout of Google Home integration over improvements in the Alexa experience? Will Google want to undercut sales of the Google Home Max by bringing their full feature set to Sonos who can additionally offer Alexa features that Google Home Max cannot?

Will Amazon accept Sonos as their answer to the Google Home Max? Or will they grow impatient with the Sonos pace of feature delivery and release their own competing Hi-Fi product?

Can Amazon and Google emulate their best features in an API or do some things require end-to-end control, from back end to device firmware, to operate correctly?

As the pace at which Amazon and Google try to outdo each other with new features accelerates is Sonos going to be able to keep up? And if they can't or won't will users be increasingly disappointed that features available on native Amazon and Google products are not implemented by Sonos (assuming they are even available through the API to begin with).

[snip]

[snip]I for now own one echo dot. Before buying anymore, I've decided to wait for Google home integration with sonos to be implemented and then wait longer to see how the two systems stack up against each other both in sonos and as general voice assistants. I'm not a "must have it now" person so am happy to wait and just enjoy listening to music.

The big questions I have are :

Will the ducking every room issue be overcome?

Will the limitation of only one Spotify account and zone at a time can be controlled by voice be overcome? (a massive fail for a multi room system)

Will grouping and room controls in sonos be voice controlled in future?

Will all services, sonos playlists, personal music library be voice controlled in future?

In respect to some of the above, are these things entirely out of sonos control and down to amazon or Google to implement if they choose (which could be never)

Totally agree with the above list of questions. Sonos! Let us know your ambitions!
You simply are not going to get answers to specific questions like those, at least not until a release is announced. Sonos just isn't in the habit of releasing a roadmap in the middle of development.
Chromecast dongle attached to a play:5. Instant fix.

I wonder if you connect Googe Home to a play 5 via the aux can you still ask google to play through tunes your play 1??
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
no. But set up your play one to play from Line in then you can ask google to your hearts content and it will play.
I too am one customer who is waiting for Google home inergration. I love my Sonos and just want to get the best out of it. I really hope it is on the Sonos roadmap.
Today, Google announced Google Home Max. This is a Sonos-like speaker with Google Home built in. The speaker technology seems to be superior to Sonos, and it is priced between a Play:3 and a Play:5. In other words, this product has the potential to put Sonos out of business.

If Sonos would release Google Home integration, I would stick with this company. In the absence of such integration, I will likely migrate to Google Home Max. I expect I am not alone.

I hope Sonos executives are listening.

Not sure I would say that the Google home rivals Sonos in audio quality. Play 1 rocks for its size and the Play 5 is a beast. I am a fan of Google and awaiting Google assistant integration. But, Sonos audio quality is much better.
Userlevel 2
Badge +5
I flirted with the idea of Alexa until I discovered that it will not play my NAS based FLAC library, presumably because Amazon want people to buy their music from Amazon in mp3 crap format

I bought my Sonos System from Amazon
I bought my Synology Disk Stations from Amazon
I bought my hard drives from Amazon
I bought my Synology router from Amazon
I have bought most of my CDs from Amazon since about 2003

But I can't undo history. I can't alter the fact that I bought CDs before Amazon existed, and i won't re-buy them
Nor will I drop FLAC format.

I wonder how much more Amazon would like me to buy?

All rhetorical questions. 😃
Userlevel 4
Badge +6
I flirted with the idea of Alexa until I discovered that it will not play my NAS based FLAC library, presumably because Amazon want people to buy their music from Amazon in mp3 crap format

I bought my Sonos System from Amazon
I bought my Synology Disk Stations from Amazon
I bought my hard drives from Amazon
I bought my Synology router from Amazon
I have bought most of my CDs from Amazon since about 2003

But I can't undo history. I can't alter the fact that I bought CDs before Amazon existed, and i won't re-buy them
Nor will I drop FLAC format.

I wonder how much more Amazon would like me to buy?

All rhetorical questions. :D

Do not ask questions of Amazon. They will supply the answer only to questions you did know know you had. 😃
Not really answering any questions here. I just want to add my voice. Come on Sonos , let's add Google Home support. Will enable me to make the most of that Sonos One I have, and could inspire me to another one!
I have a google mini and amazon eco sitting side by side, just seeing what i like..
the echo works fantastic with sonos but for everything else its horrible compared to google, you really have to remember your commands. where google is way more forgiving how you say something, google just gets you..

for me best thing would be google control sonos but allow apple music for streaming. Spotify is good but when you have an iPhone apple music is just better..

for home automation they do the same for me as everything is running through Samsung smart things
except alexa wants exact commands and google just gets it.

why can't they all just play along...
SONOS GET WORKING WITH GOOGLE HOME
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I can't see google getting apple music support.

Big question is - with the Sonos One ... will you be able to have both active at the same time. Example: Say I have Google Music and Amazon Music services.

Will you be able to say Alexa play Bruno Mars (and it use Amazon Service) and say Google play Bruno Mars (and it use Google service). IE....one device two different assistants.

Don't know the answer to that but it would be really cool if it did.
or will sonos ONE have direct apple support I would be ok with that....
and to what degree, sonos, (One) .... play jazz in my living room (on the play 5)
or will it just work by itself and what ever its grouped with

I also read that sonos supposed to be work with Airplay 2 (like home pod)
that case you can tell sure on the phone to play something....

this is all still a cool effect until they all start playing together...
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
No Apple will never give amazon access Apple Music. They reserve for Siri.

We will however get some Apple live with airplay2 so I assume you can use Siri then in your phone to play to Sonos for Apple Music.
My workaround - Sonos Playbar connect to TV. Google Chromecast on living room TV. Default audio for TV is "AUX". Google Home Mini has "Living Room TV" set as default destination in Google Play Music. Only thing I have to do through Sonos app is if I want to group the speakers.
again I'm paying with alexa & google home, google home seems so much more natural compared to alexa.
I want to give alexa the benefit of the doubt but :/

the way I have google set up, is through Smart things, it works wonderful but basic only
1 Smart things recognizes sonos,
2 google home picks them up as well,
3 you get to basic commands, google turn on/off sonos.
4 sonos resume playing last station.
(Smart things is a Samsung hub that allows you to control many zigbee & z-wave devices for home automation. cost is about $100
alexa and google home work virtually the same and pick up all scenes created
alexa has more partherships then google at the moment for wifi devices which i don't use..
except, Sonos beeng one of them....

I also have an IFTTT created linked with sonos and google home, if i call : hey google: Sonos, it replies done! and resume last station and set volume to 10" that way it doesn't blow your ears off. any speakers that are grouped together will play.
Most of the time in the home radio is set to some sore of station Indi radio or alternative radio for background...
Userlevel 1
Today, Sonos (finally) released Google Home integration in its speakers! I went through the setup process, and it seems to work flawlessly. A short while ago, I said, "Hey Google, play soft rock in the master bedroom", and the Eagles started playing on my Sonos PLAY:3.

In my Google Home mobile app, all of the Sonos speakers are now showing up.

This is the day we all have been waiting for!

Thank you Sonos!