Question

future of the 65k limit

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

155 replies

[quote=chicks] Why in the world would Sonos cater to such a tiny fringe audience?

Because streaming from an NAS was the norm (and still is for many) and pretty much what the company was founded on before it latched on to the streaming field?
Because streaming from an NAS was the norm (and still is for many) and pretty much what the company was founded on before it latched on to the streaming field?

True, but that is the market of people streaming from their own library. Says nothing about the financial benefit of catering to a tiny subset of that market which has over 65,000 tracks in their library.
There must be a hundred ways to work around this; search for Subsonic or Icecast, for starters.
Last Spring, I submitted an idea that I was told was forwarded to the development team but never heard back. Given the 65k track limit, and SONOS's apparent lack of interest in addressing it, my biggest issue is that users have no control of which of our 65k tracks make it into the ultimate index / database. SO - one alternative would be to provide software that lets us manage this directly. In this way, we can control which artists or genres or playlists make it to the final cut.
Last Spring, I submitted an idea that I was told was forwarded to the development team but never heard back. Given the 65k track limit, and SONOS's apparent lack of interest in addressing it, my biggest issue is that users have no control of which of our 65k tracks make it into the ultimate index / database. SO - one alternative would be to provide software that lets us manage this directly. In this way, we can control which artists or genres or playlists make it to the final cut.

What's to stop you doing that now? There's no need for Sonos to produce software to do this, there are hundreds of freely available ways to do this already.

This is actually a really good idea. Maybe they could set it up so that you could exclude genres, composers, artists, file type, albums etc. Those of us below the 65K limit could use it to set up different library views - so I could filter the children's music to a view for my kids etc.

Local index doesn't seem to get a lot of attention in releases so I wonder if they are planning something big or have already done what they can with it given the arch limitations.
Again, these are all suggestions that would benefit the user group that supported the core Sonos business plan way back in the beginning... Streaming front your own personal library. Their ads and even some articles about them featured users with tens of thousands of albums, one I even remember being pictured. Their focus now is on the music service crowd.
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
My experience as a new user.

1. With Synology nas and their audio station app on iPhone and iPad
, I can send audio direct from nas directly to all three Sonos players without using the Sonos app. Therefore there is no limit on the 65k limit and I don't need the Sonos app currently for this, the speakers are recognized natively by the Synology app.

2. Connecting a airport express to my play 5 means I can stream music from my Mac directly by connecting to airport expres via AirPlay, and play music, even playing movies and videos via iTunes or Netflix on my Mac - streaming to AirPlay on play five and grouping to my bedroom Sonos play one.

3 I can do the same as 2. by connecting to AirPlay and playing YouTube video or other on safari

4 plex allows me to connect directly using AirPlay from the iPhone app or by using safari and playing to AirPlay

iTunes Match now supports over 25k songs.

I wish Sonos would support a plex app or plex would like Synology recognize Sonos speakers natively in their app
I wish Sonos would support a plex app or plex would like Synology recognize Sonos speakers natively in their app
Sonos units are not DLNA compliant. The Synology control point is actually in error by not filtering them out based on their UPnP responses. Plex is behaving correctly.
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
If in error why does the Synology play to them directly from the app?
If in error why does the Synology play to them directly from the app?
Some DLNA control points can send to Sonos as a media renderer, but it's a bit hit and miss. As I say, Sonos doesn't purport to support DLNA. A correctly coded control point should detect this and not display the Sonos units.
Unfortunately no solution in sight. But Meanwhile many comparable vendors out there. I follow some friends of mine and will sell my Sonos sytems after 5! Years.
Unfortunately no solution in sight. But Meanwhile many comparable vendors out there. I follow some friends of mine and will sell my Sonos sytems after 5! Years.

I'm sure Sonos has done the math and has found that the number of users with libraries over the limit is so scarce as to be worth the loss compared to the hits to reliability and/or brand image if a half-baked solution was implemented (such as requiring all new purchases in order to increase library size or splitting up the index between devices). It is unfortunate for the few who are over the limit, but please post back here when you find a competitor who meets your needs. Good luck in your search (that is, if your posting is not just an idle threat meant to hold the company hostage, like so many before).
The system from Teufel offers faster processors and no 65k limit....
The system from Teufel offers faster processors and no 65k limit....

And needs to be wired for anything over 2 zones. But if the 65K limit is your #1 beef, I suppose compromising in other areas is worth it. Just like Sonos compromises the 65K limit for fast scrolling, redundancy in each unit, and backwards compatibility for 10 years. Good luck with your new purchase.
Just wanted to let you know that I have build an open source LMS Sonos bridge. In my case I use a Synology, with more than 65k tracks. On that I install the Logitech Media Server package and then use the LMSSonos Bridge so that my collection appears as a service - same way as Spotify or google.

See here https://github.com/LMSSonos/LMSSonos
Userlevel 6
Badge +16
How will that work for a non tech normal Sonos user like me?
How will that work for a non tech normal Sonos user like me?

On the github website there is an "Installation" section where I have described all the steps. Are you using Synology as well? If you haveing issues, let me know then I will try to update the installation guide.
Userlevel 6
Badge +16
If you haveing issues, let me know then I will try to update the installation guide.
Thanks, but I really don't have a clue what this is about:

Installation
Compile and run Server

Download or clone the repository
Edit config.ts and change the configuration settings
Run tsc to compile all typescript files
Run node index.js
Configure sonos

Connect to your Sonosplayer http://[Sonos-IP]:1400/customsd.htm
Set the following values:
SID: 255
Service name: LMS
Endpoint URL (IP and Port same as in config.ts): http://192.168.178.100:8080/service1.svc
Presentation map (IP and Port same as in config.ts): http://192.168.178.100:8080/presentationmap.xml
Container type: Music Service
Capabilities: Search
If you haveing issues, let me know then I will try to update the installation guide.
Thanks, but I really don't have a clue what this is about:

please tell me first about your setup (where is music stored, do you have LMS running) then I can tell you if it works or not before we dig into the details
Userlevel 6
Badge +16
please tell me first about your setup (where is music stored, do you have LMS running) then I can tell you if it works or not before we dig into the details
My music is stored on a WD MyBookWorld and no LMS running - I don't even know what that is. Thanks for your help, although I fear I'm too much of a non-tech Sonos user.

It's a shame Sonos is letting users like me down in this way. But, what can we do about it? Nothing, I fear...
Ok, then it get's really hard, the idea is that you have running logitech media server (LMS) on one of your PCs, NAS, etc, then you use my script to make all the music from LMS look like a music service
Userlevel 6
Badge +16
Ok, then it get's really hard
Thanks again for helping out.
Userlevel 2
The 65k limit is an issue for me too. To get around this is use MediaMonkey and as my default player I've chosen the Sonos device.
My Onkyo Receiver could do this too but too bad the DLNA connection on the ONKYO is terrible. If that worked I could sell my Sonos.
One of these days a better device for me will popup I'm sure.
But it won't be Sonos. Still Sonos is an improvement over my logitech System (end of life)
higherdemon,

You might want to join the Plex beta.