Answered

Fresh antipathy thread regarding YouTube Music

After years paying for Spotify, and having flirted with Apple Music for years as well, and abjuring Pandora, I’ve finally decided that YouTube Music does by far the best job of curating songs for me based on just a little bit of criteria. In short, YouTube Music is the coolest. And yet as has been well noted by other commenters, Sonos completely sharts the bed when it comes to software integration with YTM. Don’t know about others but I can get mine to do a sum total of zero functioning, as far as YTM is concerned. It honestly feels to me like there was some spat between programmers or companies that resulted in a what is essentially a big eff you from one to the other, or a detente perhaps, where someone pissed someone off or had a huge ideological difference of opinion, words were said and then  everyone walked away from the conference room table, and left to sit there what is basically a 1/8th developed integration option that does nothing but get people angry. How else can you explain such a failure of action? I can’t imagine it’s just inertia. Maybe it’s because Google wanted to buy them and they didn’t want to get bought and Google was like “then you’ll have nothing and like it.” 

I have to say, I’ve had my Sonos system for 10 years now, and I still recommend it to others, but between this, the whole forced deprecation of S1 products thing, and the resultant absurd hassle of having to set up dual systems (S1 and S2), plus my other favorite listening option SiriusXM frequently erroring out due to encoding errors, the stuff has not lived up to its early promise, and it pains me to say that because I’ve been such a staunch supporter. In closing how hard can it be to get YTM working? Not that hard, so it’s not the difficulty of it that is the impediment. It’s gotta be something we’re not privy that boils down to competitiveness or something else petty, like ego. 

I’d love to be enlightened to some broader picture showing that this assessment is incorrect. 

icon

Best answer by Moaning_Myrtle 16 May 2022, 01:58

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Oh I got so carried away that I forgot what I wanted to share which is a couple goofy workarounds I’ve had to adopt in order to get YouTube music to work on my Sonos because my ex got the S2 in the split and I'm left with only S1 products that you can’t stream to so I have to use aux line-in to either my Play:5 or my Play:Amp (or both) from a source that plays YouTube music. Examples of sources like this include a computer either hardwired to the Sonos device or I've also been known to Bluetooth to an Alexa device that then outputs to Sonos which is pretty pesky and not recommended or I've also done television running AppleTV to line-in. The last of those is actually pretty good, but you can’t control it from the Sonos app, of course none of these options allow that functionality because see my previous msg. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

As I understand it for getting your music service on Sonos when you are a music service provider you need to connect to the Sonos API. How you connect to it and what options you provide is then up to you. So it is not that Sonos and YT need to mutually agree to anything; YT needs to get its act together. The knowledge is there: Google Music integration was much better than YT Music (also Google) is now.

Hey guess what everyone. I’m going to eat a little crow here because after my negative spate, I did some more reading and I think the problem was that I had selected the brand version of my account instead of my personal one. So I removed the service and then re-added it, and it looks like it might work! I feel like a dope for my screed, and it just goes to show I should never participate in social media, BUT! I am also tentatively excited if I can get it to work, and I’d like to credit you fine people for your support, being there when I just needed to vent at an enemy that didn’t really exist. Happy Listening! 

ps - I stand by the S1 vs. S2 / planned obsolescence gripe

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

. It honestly feels to me like there was some spat between programmers or companies that resulted in a what is essentially a big eff you from one to the other, or a detente perhaps, where someone pissed someone off or had a huge ideological difference of opinion, words were said and then  everyone walked away from the conference room table, and left to sit there what is basically a 1/8th developed integration option that does nothing but get people angry. How else can you explain such a failure of action? I can’t imagine it’s just inertia. Maybe it’s because Google wanted to buy them and they didn’t want to get bought and Google was like “then you’ll have nothing and like it.” 

I wonder if a patent dispute, one where Google is found to have infringed on Sonos patents could be the root cause?

There is still no planned obsolescence. All Sonos speakers continue to work using either S1 or S2. Not one of them have been made obsolete.