Forced Software Updates.

• 14 January 2020
  • 16 replies

I can’t believe that Sonos can’t support older OS’s a little more. Using my two year old Onkyo Music Player with services and I can not even change the user name and passwords to my music services like SiriusXM. I am forced to update even though the older software works fine.  I wonder how long before I can not even play Sonos on my Music Player? I have it set up at work. I was planning on setting up Sonos for my home. Now I will be looking for something a little more user friendly.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

16 replies

I can’t believe that Sonos can’t support older OS’s a little more. Using my two year old Onkyo Music Player with services and I can not even change the user name and passwords to my music services like SiriusXM. I am forced to update even though the older software works fine.  I wonder how long before I can not even play Sonos on my Music Player? I have it set up at work. I was planning on setting up Sonos for my home. Now I will be looking for something a little more user friendly.

While the device may be 2 years old to you, the OS on the device may have been around a lot longer than that.  It does seem to be somewhat of a trend lately to see current model devices built on older android versions.  Unfortunately, when Google drops support for these older OS, Sonos is pretty much going to follow support and drop, or reduce support as well.

This is not just a Sonos thing, but pretty standard for industry.  In your search for something more user friendly, I would keep that in mind.

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

It’s infuriating!   User-friendly systems offer a choice about updating, and certainly don’t add the reminder to the main menu! 

It’s infuriating!   User-friendly systems offer a choice about updating, and certainly don’t add the reminder to the main menu! 

Is the reminder so all powerful that you cannot resist doing the update? Just because the reminder is there doesn’t mean you have to update, so you actually do have a choice.  

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

True - but it just looks amateurish & sloppy interface design …. 

Not if someone actually wants the updates.  For those who don’t, turn off reminders.

Now you are going to tell me you have turned them off, and you still get them, and I’m going to tell you someone had to either update the app, or update firmware for that to happen.  Then you are going to say something like “I don’t think so”, until the next time it happens, and you will ignore all that was said before and come back in with the same complaint.

Rinse, lather, repeat. :rolling_eyes:

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Not if someone actually wants the updates.  For those who don’t, turn off reminders.

Now you are going to tell me you have turned them off, and you still get them, and I’m going to tell you someone had to either update the app, or update firmware for that to happen.  Then you are going to say something like “I don’t think so”, until the next time it happens, and you will ignore all that was said before and come back in with the same complaint.

Rinse, lather, repeat. :rolling_eyes:

Exactly - there’s no way to turn off updates for the CR200.  

Exactly - there’s no way to turn off updates for the CR200.  

Correction, there is no way to turn off update reminders for the CR200, updates you can turn off by simply not choosing to do them.

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Pedantically correct … you know what I meant.

Pedantically correct … you know what I meant.

Not pedantically anything.  The thread claims updates are “forced” when they are nothing of the sort.  You have a choice to apply updates, and nothing you choose can be described as forced.  Does Sonos try to recommend updates?  Sure, but they are most certainly not forced.  

Just because your apparent OCD won’t allow you to ignore the reminder doesn’t mean the updates are forced.

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

I object to your engaging in cod-psychiatry.   You really can be obnoxious in your attitude to others.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

If there was enough interest in running un-updated Sonos gear maybe Sonos could add a block all updates option. Don’t know if there is enough support for this to give it room in the very limited device memory space, maybe it could just be in the controller?

Probably want to block sending Diagnostics and add a disclaimer somewhere prominent: “Updates Blocked - System Not Supported” just to avoid surprises.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

@ronlcart What Onkyo Music Player do you use?

DP-X1A

If there was enough interest in running un-updated Sonos gear maybe Sonos could add a block all updates option. Don’t know if there is enough support for this to give it room in the very limited device memory space, maybe it could just be in the controller?

Probably want to block sending Diagnostics and add a disclaimer somewhere prominent: “Updates Blocked - System Not Supported” just to avoid surprises.

Why would Sonos want to do this?  It is one thing to have a relatively small number of users on old unsupported software, but it is not in their best interest to outright encourage this practice.  For one thing, there will always be customers who expect support even though they want to stay on unsupported software.  They will still call looking for assistance with issues.  Sometimes that’s how-to’s for the specific version they are in.  Sometimes it’s going to expect fixes for a security issue or streaming service that isn’t working.  The expectation will quickly turn from being unsupported to ‘you can keep the version you like and we’ll make sure it stays running for you’.  If Sonos doesn’t help these customers, then they’ve got customers complaining about Sonos.

What’s worse than that...Sonos makes it’s money on product sales.  Customers who aren’t on the current version are incapable of adding new products.  Why would Sonos implement a feature that specifically cuts off their source of revenue?

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

DP-X1A

As noted in https://www.techradar.com/reviews/onkyo-dp-x1a-digital-audio-player Onkyo usenet a very old Android version for this player to start with.

If there was enough interest in running un-updated Sonos gear

This is a tricky issue for Sonos. Because of the big range of price points at which Sonos products are sold. Folks buying the high price point ones would be interested in the quoted, those at the other end of the spectrum would not mind obsolescence to the same extent. As of now, no music player has suffered that fate, so that is something to the credit of Sonos and something that should reassure the high price point installed base.

As to the UI devices, I suppose that getting a cheap dedicated to Sonos, but also the most recent version of the device can’t be a hardship for most users, and this should serve for a minimum of five years before being obsoleted, so on balance this isn't a big issue for most.

What would be nice is a reduction in the number of upgrades that Sonos, a home audio system, subjects its users to, but that is easier said when one isn't responsible for successful product marketing.