FLACs Drop

• 25 July 2018
  • 1 reply

Badge +5
Everybody (not just in Sonos, but in the World!) blames "the network". I don't care about blame - I just want to know what to do about it!

I have a ton (literally) of records and CDs I've dumped into iTunes, to listen to on my iPod. So AAC, 128 kb/s, 44.1kHz is A-OK for that.

Now that I'm pumping that same library through two Play 3's, I can definitely notice the compression.

So.... I re-encoded some of my go-to stuff as FLAC, also 44.1kHz but at a variable bit rate that's around 990-1,100 kb/s. I wanted to do some side-by-side comparisons, but the FLAC files don't all play.

When I say "don't all play", what I mean is that they start, and then freeze. The timer in my Windows Sonos controller continues, but there is no sound. If I try to slide ahead in the song, I get error messages.

The same songs seem to freeze in the same places.

When I play them through, say, Media Monkey and my PC speakers, they're fine.

This is happening if I use my PC or my iPad as a controller.

I have my Music library on a NAS drive plugged via USB directly into my router. (Again, I can play the song fine via other software). I have a Boost.

Anything I can do? Specifically?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +21
I have my music library in FLAC format and being served by a Raspberry Pi microcomputer and it has been working for years so it is possible to do that with Sonos.

Did you look at the supported formats and make sure your files match the requirements?

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/79?language=en_US

You could try playing one of the problem tracks, submit a diagnostic and post the number here to let Sonos look at the problem from the inside.