FLAC to APPLE LOSSLESS (Painlessly?)

• 25 February 2006
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 2
When I first got my Sonos system, I ripped a lot of my music collection to FLAC. Now that Sonos supports Apple Lossless, I would like to convert my FLAC files to Apple Lossless, for compatibility with Itunes and Ipod.

Is there a way to convert directly from FLAC to Apple Lossless? I can find programs that will Apple Lossless to FLAC, but not the other way around.

Or is there a way to go through some intermediate uncompressed format and without trashing all of my metadata? I would hate to have to re-enter all those tags, which I know will happen if I go to WAV or AIFF.

Thanks

3 replies

Userlevel 2
When I first got my Sonos system, I ripped a lot of my music collection to FLAC. Now that Sonos supports Apple Lossless, I would like to convert my FLAC files to Apple Lossless, for compatibility with Itunes and Ipod.

Is there a way to convert directly from FLAC to Apple Lossless? I can find programs that will Apple Lossless to FLAC, but not the other way around.

Or is there a way to go through some intermediate uncompressed format and without trashing all of my metadata? I would hate to have to re-enter all those tags, which I know will happen if I go to WAV or AIFF.

Thanks

I'm afraid I went through the exact same sequence that you did, ripping all my music to FLAC when I first got my Sonos system, then wanting it in Apple Lossless once it was supported.

I didn't find a solution. I looked everywhere for a way to go from FLAC to Apple Lossless, but the fact is that Apple doesn't support FLAC, and iTunes is the only software the supports ripping into Apple Lossless that I could find.

In the end I was forced to re-rip all my music to Apple Lossless, although at least this time around I was able to use iTunes to automatically tag all my music reasonably well, which made the process much quicker than my initial rip to FLAC.
I'm not an iTunes user so I can't try it. Is this any use?

http://hublog.hubmed.org/archives/000930.html

Cheers,

Keith
Userlevel 2
I did this recently. As others have observed, keeping the tags is difficult. My method was cumbersome but I'll share it anyway...

dBpowerAMP supports an encoder called itunesencode that will do the actual FLAC to Apple Lossless conversion by acting as a driver for iTunes. The first step is to obtain itunesencode.exe from http://www.dbpoweramp.com/codec-central-mp4.htm. iTunes itself must also be installed.

The readme that comes with itunesencode explains its switches.

The hard part is generating the command-lines for translating each track from FLAC to Apple Lossless. I wrote a script to traverse my FLAC directories, extract the tags for each track, and generate a set of commands to do the conversion. For each track, the first command decoded the FLAC file to wav. The second command was an itunesencode invocation to convert from wav to Apple Lossless and set the tags extracted from the FLAC track.

I ran my script which generated a script to do the entire conversion. I then examined the generated script to make sure it was OK and called itunesencode with the expected tags. Then I ran the generated script.

Conversion can take a long time!