Question

FINALLY got my iTunes playlists set up correctly on Windows 7

• 22 September 2016
  • 1 reply

I've been trying for months to get Sonos to not just recognize my iTunes playlists, but to import them at all! From digging through the forums online, it looks like many people have had issues, but Sonos support has been less than proactive in taking care of the problems.

This morning, I finally got things working. Here is what I did:

- In iTunes, I consolidated my music files.

- In Windows Explorer, I set the sharing for my [drive]:/My Music/iTunes folder wide open, so that everyone and everything can get to it. This created a share like:
\\[PC name]\iTunes

- In iTunes, I exported my library to XML, saving the file to [drive]:/My Music/iTunes/iTunes Library.xml. (Back up your existing iTunes Library.xml file, if you have one!)

- In Notepad, I opened the new iTunes Library.xml and modified the path names.
THIS IS A CRUCIAL STEP! In doing some digging, it turns out that iTunes - NOT SONOS! - was screwing up the XML data that points to where the music is.

For instance, here's the path to a file on my machine:
[drive]:/My Music/iTunes/iTunes Media/Music/Pearl Jam/Ten/03 Jeremy.mp3

However, in the iTunes Library.xml file, this path is:
[drive]:/My Music/iTunes/iTunes Media/Pearl Jam/Ten/03 Jeremy.mp3

See the problem? The directory level "Music" is missing after "iTunes Media". So when Sonos tries to read the XML file, it couldn't find the music in its actual location.

So, open iTunes Library.xml in Notepad, and do a search/replace for "iTunes Media", changing it to "iTunes Media/Music". Then save the file.

- In Sonos, go to Manage Library. Remove any bad iTunes entries that are already there. Add the share created above: \\[PC name]\iTunes
This could take a while, but let it go.

- When the indexing is done, go check you artists and playlists. Hopefully, if all this worked for you like it did for me, you'll have access to your music.

Good luck, everyone! This took me something like 9 months to figure out.

Don

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

- In Notepad, I opened the new iTunes Library.xml and modified the path names.
THIS IS A CRUCIAL STEP! In doing some digging, it turns out that iTunes - NOT SONOS! - was screwing up the XML data that points to where the music is.

Thank you for sharing this, DonChalant. Also, the point quoted above is a crucial one to mention, so thank you. Sonos will never modify files, their names, or anything of this nature; so this was definitely worth stating. Thanks again and let us know if we can do anything for you.