Filtering tracks with explicit lyrics on Sonos Radio

• 22 April 2022
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

I see the subject of unexpected/unwanted explicit lyrics appearing through Sonos Radio stations has been raised a few times over the years and I was wondering where Sonos stood on the issue and if there are any plans to enable filtering?

For some father-daughter bonding today my 5yr old asked me to dance with her so we put the ‘Hit List’ station on and were having a great time (my dancing could do with some filtering but that’s a subject for another thread!) when the song Kiss Me More by Doja Cat came on... A lovely little number but one which got a little fruity as things went on to the point where I couldn’t assume her brain wasn’t picking up on the words and phrases that I don’t think she’s quite ready for just yet so had to mute it until then next track came on (which then just drew more attention to the song we’d just had and I’m sure she was mentally ‘rewinding’ in an attempt to decompose what she’d taken in and work out what all the fuss was about!).

Any chance of one day being able to open up to the world of music but have some level of control to filter out content flagged as containing explicit lyrics? Are there technical/process reasons why this might be difficult to implement? For my own sanity I really want to move on from Disney soundtracks...

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

I’ve not hear that Sonos plans a feature to filter explicit language, but Sonos doesn’t typically announce their plans.  That said, they do have a section of ‘Family Fun’ stations that don’t appear to just be Disney tracks.  ‘Shake It Off’, ‘Rockin Chair’, ‘Fresh & Clean’,  ‘Kids Rock’, and ‘Cast Party’.  Might want to give those a try.  

Just turned to Kids Rock and they had on Summer Nights from Grease.  Definitely got some innuendos in that one, but nothing a 5 year old would pick up on.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

I’ve not hear that Sonos plans a feature to filter explicit language, but Sonos doesn’t typically announce their plans.  That said, they do have a section of ‘Family Fun’ stations that don’t appear to just be Disney tracks.  ‘Shake It Off’, ‘Rockin Chair’, ‘Fresh & Clean’,  ‘Kids Rock’, and ‘Cast Party’.  Might want to give those a try.  

Yeah, thanks - will certainly give them a go.

The thing is, I suppose I want to have my cake and eat it - I want to reap the benefits of listening to a variety of stations/genres as I really enjoy being exposed to music that I perhaps wouldn’t normally pick out, but I also want to do so with concern about what my daughter might overhear or be directly exposed to in the process. I’m pretty new to music streaming but I believe that some platforms do allow filtering so it seems to be feasible to have material flagged in some way to allow downstream filtering should it be desired. I think I’m just speaking up and saying it’d be a feature I’d welcome at the moment. Give it ten years I probably won’t care less!

Just turned to Kids Rock and they had on Summer Nights from Grease.  Definitely got some innuendos in that one, but nothing a 5 year old would pick up on.

Ha ha yeah, and a real classic too. Some innuendos as you say, but still a far cry from what the likes of Doja Cat puts out! Sign of the times I suppose. (I think I’ve officially turned in to my Dad).

Yeah, thanks - will certainly give them a go.

The thing is, I suppose I want to have my cake and eat it - I want to reap the benefits of listening to a variety of stations/genres as I really enjoy being exposed to music that I perhaps wouldn’t normally pick out, but I also want to do so with concern about what my daughter might overhear or be directly exposed to in the process. I’m pretty new to music streaming but I believe that some platforms do allow filtering so it seems to be feasible to have material flagged in some way to allow downstream filtering should it be desired. I think I’m just speaking up and saying it’d be a feature I’d welcome at the moment. Give it ten years I probably won’t care less!

I  don’t disagree with you, regarding wanting an explicit free version of the stations.  I’m just saying it doesn’t exist now and I don’t think Sonos will tell us it’s coming till it’s here.

But I have to disagree with you about not caring in 10 years.  My daughter is 15, and I don’t want to listen to explicit lyrics with her.  😀

Ha ha yeah, and a real classic too. Some innuendos as you say, but still a far cry from what the likes of Doja Cat puts out! Sign of the times I suppose. (I think I’ve officially turned in to my Dad).

I’m actually still on the Kids Rock station, and enjoying it without any kids present.  Nice variety across several decades that generally puts me in a pleasant mode, even when it goes silly with Purple People Eater.  Not sure what that says about me.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

I  don’t disagree with you, regarding wanting an explicit free version of the stations.  I’m just saying it doesn’t exist now and I don’t think Sonos will tell us it’s coming till it’s here.

Gotcha. Good to understand how they work and that the lack of overt commentary on such things doesn’t necessarily mean anything either way.

But I have to disagree with you about not caring in 10 years.  My daughter is 15, and I don’t want to listen to explicit lyrics with her.  😀

😁 I was assuming that by 15 my daughter might not want much to do with me, and won’t want to be sitting/dancing with me listening to music! I keep reminding myself that the obsession she has for me today won’t last forever...

I’m actually still on the Kids Rock station, and enjoying it without any kids present.  Nice variety across several decades that generally puts me in a pleasant mode, even when it goes silly with Purple People Eater.  Not sure what that says about me.

🤣 You’ve really piqued my interest now.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

If there would be a choice for non-explicit radio, please also include a choice for non-censored music. I’m do not believe in editing music and my music enjoyment is severely  hampered on Spotify for example because you cannot choose “only original songs”. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Gotcha. Good to understand how they work and that the lack of overt commentary on such things doesn’t necessarily mean anything either way.

😁 I was assuming that by 15 my daughter might not want much to do with me, and won’t want to be sitting/dancing with me listening to music! I keep reminding myself that the obsession she has for me today won’t last forever...

🤣 You’ve really piqued my interest now.

Just for the record: there’s nothing silly about Purple People Eater. 🤪