Feature Request: Tidal MQA Support

• 9 June 2020
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

With S2 we have some improvements regarding hi-res support. I was really hoping for Tidal MQA support. Now, I am not wedded to Tidal but I do like it and would love for it be supported. Is there any chance of that happening in a new S2 world? 

Thanks

BW. 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Sonos have a policy of not publicising product plans, so all you’re likely to get is a “request noted” type of response.

However, given that Sonos have, in the past, conceded that there was potentially a case for 24-bit but that “the math isn’t there” for sampling rates covering frequencies outside the range of human hearing, I’d be amazed if they entertained the idea of supporting MQA. Its primary feature is apparently a ‘folding’ of lossy-compressed ultrasonics into the bottom of 24-bit 48kHz samples. It’s also proprietary, with associated licensing costs.

Many commentators have remarked that MQA is a ‘solution’ to a problem that applies less and less these days, namely limited bandwidth. If one really wants 24-bit at extra high sample rates there are now services able to offer this as a standard losslessly compressed stream, without complex processing at either end.

Userlevel 1
Badge

I would also love to see this feature, so far the S2 implementation of high resolution is pretty poor!