Feature request: Fast Forward and Rewind control for downloaded content

Userlevel 2
Badge
I listen to podcasts and audiobooks on SONOS a lot and I'm really missing the Apple's Rewind and Fast Forward 15 seconds feature. All too often there would be a noise outside or I get distracted, and I miss a part of a story. There is a slider bar but it is almost impossible to move it a little bit at a time. Fast forward would also be very useful for skipping advertisements. This should be a feature available in the app itself, as well as on lock screen.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

27 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I listen to podcasts and audiobooks on SONOS a lot and I'm really missing the Apple's Rewind and Fast Forward 15 seconds feature. All too often there would be a noise outside or I get distracted, and I miss a part of a story. There is a slider bar but it is almost impossible to move it a little bit at a time. Fast forward would also be very useful for skipping advertisements. This should be a feature available in the app itself, as well as on lock screen.

Hi sonoslover,

Thanks for the suggestion. We're always looking for ways to improve the Sonos system. We'll send along a feature request to add a fast forward and rewind feature to the app for audiobooks and podcasts.
Yes! This would be sooo nice. Thanks!
Yes please!! x 1000!! I logged in today just to make this request and saw this post. Features to make podcast playback on the Sonos way better:
- Rewind 15 seconds button
- Fast forward 15 seconds button
- Automatically resume playback from the where you were when last listening to an episode.
- Automatically move to the next episode when the one you’re listening to finishes.

The rewind and fast forward by 15 seconds buttons are the priority.
Badge
Created an account to chime in on this! Listening to podcasts is extremely poor on Sonos right now. The FF and REW features are badly needed, as is the resume where left off. I understand SONOS is not designed for podcasts, but if it'll play em', I'd say those two features are minimal requirements.
Same issue here, I am returning a great product due to this flaw.
My wife recently bought a portable Sony speaker. Because of this issue I use it around the house to listen to podcasts - often in the same room as a Sonos speaker!
This is big. The app is just painful.
Userlevel 2
Badge
I logged a request for this feature a few months back - the PocketCasts integration is working really well but needs this level of navigation. As stated the progress bar is near useless for precise navigation
Please fix this issue. The podcast playback feature on the Sonos app is unbelievably terrible. This feature is super BASIC! Why did I spend so much money on a product that can’t even get the basics right?
I am chiming in too! Please, please fix this.
Agree. Not being able to rewind Tune in, when I can rewind Spotify and most everything else, it ridiculous. Fix please.
Me too! Me too! This would make the experience so much better!
This please
Another in support of this function
Badge

Ffw & prev

It is a basic future of any respectable music player. Why remove it for podcasts? Please, don't answer that ... fix it!
Badge +1
Does fast forward / rewind work yet with podcasts? I cannot believe that such a basic listening control that existed on 8-track players was not included in version 1.0 of this feature.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Try Google Play Music (it's free) Podcasts. Works better than most but for the most part Sonos programmers are allergic to pause and rewind and fast forward. The same problem exists on Sirius On Demand, etc. It's horrendous and I wouldn't expect it being fixed any time soon.
I too would like to see forward/back 15 seconds controls in the Sonos app.
Userlevel 2
Badge
A working fast forward / rewind and pause that lasts for more than a few minutes seems mandatory.

I don't get the pause time or the lack of a 15 second forward or backward. I don't understand the lack of work on the Sonos app to make the functionality better - I see a lot of re-arranging of the furniture, however.
I would really like this feature too. Podcasts require a different level of attention than music. Hence this feature is essential for Sonos to be used as a podcast player.
Why in the world is this not available?!
Userlevel 2
Badge
Some podcasts / Sirius shows are hours long. Does Sonos really expect their listeners to get it all in within one sitting? Without FF / RW and without a very long (or preferably infinite) pause, that's what they are saying to us.

Just seems like a big middle finger in the face of their loyal donators/customers/victims that expect the best out of the Sonos app. They put all those resources into redesigning/making worse the interface of the mobile experience and they could of added something we all want, like ff/rw instead of making the interface suck.

Well done Sonos! When can we expect another soundbar that does the same thing as the other soundbars?
With the popularity of podcasts, I’m surprised this hasn’t been added. It’s in every other app for listening to music and voice.

Dear Sonos App Dev: any ETA? What’s the roadmap?

Thanks!!
Guys, this is basic. Just pressed the wrong button and got sent to the start of a podcast. Why on earth can I not even skip forward?
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Sonos has a 30 second skip forward/backward for podcasts, audiobooks and the like. It requires the music service to say it can handle it though. You can see what the buttons look like on the SMAPI site: https://musicpartners.sonos.com/node/488

If the buttons are now showing up, contact the podcast service you are using.