#feature request

• 24 February 2019
  • 12 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge
Acquire Winamp and use their player format as your primary interface. My music library is lost when I interface with Sonos. Too limiting and too clunky to effectively browse a good collection, build playlists and modify the playlist while listening. This is what a good audio collection interface looks like:

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Hi there, thank you for your post. I'm not sure if acquiring Winamp will happen but if you have any specific feedback for improvements to our existing interface, I will be sure to forward your remarks to the necessary department.
Do let us know if you need anything else. Many thanks.
Userlevel 2
Badge
First: Can you tell me why my post doesn't show up under the feature request link?
Userlevel 2
Badge
First: Can you tell me why my post doesn't show up under the feature request link? I see why: because I put a space between feature and request...

It is not easy to be specific, because the features missing from interface are quite numerous but I'll give it a go:

1. The ability to have multiple browser windows open like in the screenshot
2. Smaller font so that I can see more at one time like in the screenshot
4. Showing the length of the songs in the playlist or cue screenshot
5. Ability to see metadata
6. Ability to edit metadata of single files. and also multiple files at the same time to change and album title or artist info, etc
7. Ability to query an online source for metadata
8. Ability to list filename as a column in a browser window
9. Ability to have a file path column
10. Play count column
11. Last played column
12. A bunch of other column options
13. The ability to have columns when browsing music rather than just tabs ******* That's a big start.
14. The ability to customize columns****
15. If I'm in a browser window and I single click an item, it become highlighted and will filter down the browser windows. Of course the browser windows have to be prioritized like 1. Artist 2. Album and 3. Whatever most like chosen to be tracks grouped by album, but all are completely customizable.
16. If I'm in a browser window and select an item. I can just enter text quickly to order the items according to characters I entered in the column that is chosen as the column to order the items.
17. Adjustable font size in all windows. Playlist and browser
18. Ability to control what info is included in now playing window
19. Ability to customize what is displayed in the playlist editor. Artist, Album, track, title, filename, etc.
20. Ability to go to containing folder
21. Ability to edit containing folder: rename, delete, move, etc...

I'm pretty sure winamp can do all these things and I know it can do more. I've got to get back to paying the bills over here so I'm leaving this list way short.

Ciao!
The Sonos Controller is no mediaplayer, but a remote control.
Userlevel 2
Badge
The Sonos Controller is no mediaplayer, but a remote control.

I'll agree that it appears more like a remote control than a media player. Don't you find that disappointing as a user? After CDs, my first experience with digital music was downloading mp3 files and playing them on my PC which was fun and exciting because of the speed, ease and power Winamp offered. That was about 20 years ago.

When I started using Sonos, I figured the interface would be similar, which it wasn't, but I figured they would get it there eventually through updates. I remember an update adding the ability to drag tracks in the queue to change the order of songs while listening to them. I waited a long time for that and I've waited patiently for the controller/ interface to be brought further up to speed, but after recently spending some time using Winamp again for the first time in many years, I realized how lost my digital music collection is because of the limits of the Sonos interface.

I've been using Sonos for about 10 years now. I have 2 amps, 3 connects, and 3 ones throughout my house. I recently had a party and although I would have enjoyed creating a running playlist manually, it is too clunky on Sonos, so I just put on Pandora and forgot about it. My experience with ipods was about the same. I expected to be able to search, choose, order, play and edit my music with the same power and ease I was used to, but the itunes and ipod experience always disappointed. Apple forever lost me as a customer after I tried multiple iterations of the ipod.

Would it be so hard to give the Sonos controller the same ease of use and power as a media player had 20 years ago? After all, isn't that what it is, a media player?
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
I get your point on this @redeye and can definitely see the value of such an interface. Here's some reasons why I think Sonos may not put too much effort into some if your suggestions.

1 - The number of customers who get content from local libraries is dwindling. For the changes you want that would only apply to local libraries, there are a limited number of customers who would see the benefit.

2 - Sonos has recently made changes to the desktop apps so that the look and feel and majority of functionality is the same in every day operation. I think they would be hesitant to make a change on the desktop that could not be mimic-ed on mobile devices.

3 - When you setup Sonos to play music from a local library, it sets up an index of the files on the speakers themselves. The speakers only need read access, no current functionality for write. The controller is only displaying the information provided by the speaker, and doesn't access the file structure at all. So the suggestion regarding editing ability of the meta data on music files, or accessing additional meta data, may not be as straight forward as you think.

I'm not questioning your desire for these features at all, just giving some thoughts on why the changes may not be as clear cut and easy as one might think at first glance.
Userlevel 4
Badge +6
[quote=redeye]
Would it be so hard to give the Sonos controller the same ease of use and power as a media player had 20 years ago? After all, isn't that what it is, a media player?

You could use Winamp to make your playlist then save snd import it into Sonos. Not ideal but given Sonos' direction towards voice and third party app control I doubt they will be adding many new features to their own controls, but I could be wrong.
Sonos most certainly isn't going to turn the system's fundamental aspects upside down to implement this very feature request.

https://en.community.sonos.com/music-services-and-sources-228994/when-sonos-keeps-running-after-you-have-turned-off-your-iphone-6765827
Userlevel 4
Badge +6
Sonos most certainly isn't going to turn the system's fundamental aspects upside down to implement this very feature request.

https://en.community.sonos.com/music-services-and-sources-228994/when-sonos-keeps-running-after-you-have-turned-off-your-iphone-6765827

I agree with you but ^this isnt OP's request lol.
Userlevel 2
Badge
I get your point on this @redeye and can definitely see the value of such an interface. Here's some reasons why I think Sonos may not put too much effort into some if your suggestions.

1 - The number of customers who get content from local libraries is dwindling. For the changes you want that would only apply to local libraries, there are a limited number of customers who would see the benefit.

2 - Sonos has recently made changes to the desktop apps so that the look and feel and majority of functionality is the same in every day operation. I think they would be hesitant to make a change on the desktop that could not be mimic-ed on mobile devices.

3 - When you setup Sonos to play music from a local library, it sets up an index of the files on the speakers themselves. The speakers only need read access, no current functionality for write. The controller is only displaying the information provided by the speaker, and doesn't access the file structure at all. So the suggestion regarding editing ability of the meta data on music files, or accessing additional meta data, may not be as straight forward as you think.

I'm not questioning your desire for these features at all, just giving some thoughts on why the changes may not be as clear cut and easy as one might think at first glance.

Thanks for the thoughtful response. Your points are valid and well made. And I get that using local libraries is probably dying off. Even if the number of users who may want better tools to interface with their library is small and getting smaller, I believe Sonos owes an allegiance to us "older" customers who adopted the technology when streaming audio wasn't nearly as practical and widespread as it is today. I would guess that most of the users who were early to start using Sonos were using a local library as their primary source of audio, if so then it could be said that even though we sustained the company through their early years but we aren't the "target market" anymore. That concept is naturally disappointing. Edit: Oh yeah and of course early users were interfacing primarily through a PC which is probably even more passe than local libraries at this point.

I guess I've spent the last 10 years, just watching Sonos out of the corner of my eye, and hoping that the interface would evolve to eventually approximate my original library experience from 20 years ago. I can see now that is unlikely to happen, and it makes me wonder how people make the most of their local libraries today if they want a hi-fi multi-room system.
Userlevel 2
Badge

You could use Winamp to make your playlist then save snd import it into Sonos. Not ideal but given Sonos' direction towards voice and third party app control I doubt they will be adding many new features to their own controls, but I could be wrong.

Thanks for the suggestion. I would agree with you about the direction things are going. It seems Wall Street wants to see Sonos as a "portal" to services also. That is where the bread is going to get buttered going forward. If they haven't made such refinements to the local library interface by now, it seems very unlikely to ever happen. So I'm wondering what the best solution is for someone who wants to have fun with their library, send it through the house and have high fidelity. Thanks for your response.
Userlevel 2
Badge
I guess I could use a PC or a tablet as a line in on one of my connect components and then use whatever media player I want. Maybe linking a device with a digital wireless connection to a DAC attached to the line-in on the connect component would be cool. It's not elegant to bypass the Sonos interface completely, but it might be the best answer. I'm open to other suggestions.