Answered

Explicit songs from Spotify blocked.

• 4 December 2019
  • 33 replies

I recently set up a Sonos system, and Spotify is the only service I’ve connected. I want to be able to play songs marked as “explicit” through Sonos, but they’re grayed out.

It seems like this has to either be a Spotify thing or a Sonos thing, but…

• I’ve never filtered explicit content in Spotify, but I checked my Spotify settings just in case, and “Allow explicit content” is indeed enabled
  • I found “Content Filters” in the Sonos settings, but “Filter Explicit Content” is grayed out and says “Not supported”

Any idea what might be going on? I haven’t found an answer on the forums yet. Thanks!

icon

Best answer by Anonymous 11 February 2020, 19:30

View original

33 replies

First off, the ‘answer’ people keep reposting is worthless. Please just stop. If you read the details of what is going on the ‘advice’ is just annoying. Telling people how to change parental controls when the problem report clearly says that parental controls are greyed out  Nice.

Here is what I have found. We have two premium Spotify accounts. One Sonos account (natch). 
If I use my Spotify (same email as the Sonos account) from within the Sonos app, I can play ‘E’ songs. If my wife uses her Spotify (different email) Sonos not only greys out the explicit songs, it also greys out the parental controls. 

Would be interesting if others with this issue also have email address mismatch between Spotify and Sonos.

in any case, this is a bug in the Sonos software, and needs to be fixed by Sonos. 

Oh, one more twist. My parental controls are also greyed out. Because, I think, Sonos claims to not filter songs from Spotify. Except, obviously, if you use Spotify from within the Sonos app it does filter. Sometimes. 

I notice Sonos have marked this as ‘answered’ but it certainly isn’t for me and it appears many others. Could we have an update from someone in support on what the issue is here and if there is going to be a proper fix?  As many have pointed out, the Spotify app is set to allow explicit content and the option is greyed out in Sonos.  I’ve tried deleting the Spotify account, checked everything is up to date, restarted all my Sonos boxes and restarted the app but it (for me at least) makes no difference - anything marked as explicit is ignored and won’t play.  Looking at a general internet search this seems to be an issue for a lot of users.

Hi All

This has just also happened on my system.

We have had the sonos / spotify link working for years - and never had a problem with parental controls. 

Then this weekend they are all greyed out and parental controls greyed ("not supported") in Sonos with nothing filtered out in Spotify.

Please can Sonos look at this as something has clearly changed.

Happy to open an new thread if people advise that this has been erroneously "closed" so Sonos team won't look at it.

Michael 

I've just had this problem out of nowhere, works if I play through Spotify app but not through sonos app, have uninstalled and re-installed app. Not working!

Did you know that if you go to the album of the explicit tagged song and select the same song you can play it?

Just select more from the menu above the explicit song you’ve searched and select album info. You can play it from there. I know its not a solution but at least you can listen these songs until Sonos developers fix this BUG 🙂

Also pls make sure you have enabled Explicit songs from the Spotify app on your iOS or Android spotify App. Make sure it is the same account as the one you are using on your Sonos app. Try removing the spotify account from sonos, reboot your sonos bridge and add the spotify account again. Hope it helps …

Did you know that if you go to the album of the explicit tagged song and select the same song you can play it?

Just select more from the menu above the explicit song you’ve searched and select album info. You can play it from there. I know its not a solution but at least you can listen these songs until Sonos developers fix this BUG 🙂

No luck for me with this - still doesn’t work. 

does anyone know if there’s another thread for this?