Answered

Error playing large Spotify playlist

• 8 April 2022
  • 4 replies

For some time now I’ve been experiencing an issue playing one particular Spotify playlist on my Sonos One SL. All playlists/albums/podcasts etc play just fine, but one playlist I have will not play. The only distinguishing feature of this playlist is its size. It has almost 5000 songs. Has anyone else had this issue? When I go to play a song from the playlist I get the message:

“Spotify can’t play this right now. If you have the file on your computer you can import it.”

I attempted a fix through Spotify who tried a few different things but no luck. So here I am, seeing if it’s a Sonos issue.

icon

Best answer by Corry P 11 April 2022, 09:55

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @jhedwards 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

There is a limit on how many tracks Sonos will load from one Spotify playlist, but it is well over 6000, so you’re not hitting a ceiling here.

There could be an issue with how long the playlist takes to load, however, or transmission errors during the loading of the playlist.

I recommend you remove power from your Sonos devices and your WiFi router. Once the router has been off for at least 30 seconds, turn it on and wait 3-5 minutes for WiFi to return. Once it does, please turn on the Sonos devices again and test once more.

If the playlist fails to load/play again, please immediately submit a diagnostic and reply here with the number given when convenient. Thanks.

I hope this helps.

I’d have thought that trying to add 5000 tracks in one go was pushing one’s luck, for any online service. Sonos apparently allows only ~15 seconds for any such operation before throwing a timeout error. (The operation can nevertheless sometimes go on to complete in the background.)

Why not break the Spotify playlist into 2 or 3 smaller ones. These can be loaded individually, then if required the queue can be saved as a Sonos Playlist.

On Deezer I make a point of limiting all playlists to 1000 tracks.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

That error message looks like it came from the Spotify app, not the Sonos app. Can you confirm which app you are having this problem with? And also what happens when you try the other one?

If it’s the Spotify app’s message and it’s casting to Sonos (Spotify Connect) then the root cause could be the same.