Answered

Equalizing Volume for Playlists

Badge +3
  • Avid Contributor I
  • 22 replies

Hello: I’ve created a number of playlists with various songs from all genres downloaded on my desktop computer. However when I listen to and play back the playlist using my Play1 speaker, many of the songs, because they were recorded at different volume levels, don’t play at the same volume level. Some songs play back louder than others and as a result I am continuously having to increase or decrease the volume on the Play1 speaker, depending on the song.

Is there a way to set the volume on the Sonos app or Play1 speaker so that the songs on the playlists play back at equal or the same volume levels?

Apreciate any help or insight.

Thanks.

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 1 August 2021, 01:19

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

18 replies

Badge +3

When I clear all the files from the MP3Gain player, so that it’s empty, and then drag and drop the music folder on my desktop back into the MP3Gain player, all the files reappear with the volume for each file displayed at around 89.0. Does this mean the  volume for the songs in the music folder on my desktop have all been normalized at arouind the same level now?

Thanks.

Badge +3

Thanks againratty

As far as I can recall the files are modified by MP3Gain in situ. Look at the date-time-modified on the files. 

Badge +3

Sorry guys, last question. When I drag and drop the music folder from my desktop into the mp3gain player and the process completes (volume equalized at 89.0 for all the songs in the music folder), do I have to drag the folder back to my desktop form the mp3gain player or will the same music folder, still on my desktop, have picked up the changes?

Thanks.

Badge +3

Thank you Airetlam, much appreciated.

Badge +3

Thanks for your help ratty. Very much appreciated.

It will read the ‘new’ tag information when it plays the file. 

In fact MP3Gain doesn’t add gain adjustment tags (though it does store analysis results and undo information). It modifies the actual audio data within the MP3 file. 

You don’t “add any files to the MP3Gain site”. You download the software to your PC and run it there.

As for Sonos, it would simply pick up the modified files automatically. No need to “update” the library or recompose your playlists. 

No need to do anything. The Sonos playlist is just a list of locations to get the files from to play. It will read the ‘new’ tag information when it plays the file. 

Badge +3

When I add all the music files from my desktop into the mp3gain site to normalize the volume at 89, do I then have to remove or delete all the playlists from my Sonos app and re-create them using the music file on my desktop with the new volume setting for the various songs at 89? Or can I simply go into the Sonos app and under “Manage”, click on “update music library now” and all of the songs in my playlists will be automatically switched or changed to the volume setting of 89?

Thanks.

Badge +3

Please disregard the above question pertaining to the address on the first Youtube video above. I found the address.

Thank you.

http://mp3gain.sourceforge.net/

Google is your friend.

Badge +3

I’m having a difficult time making out the address in the first YouTube video above. Is the address:

mp3gain.sourcescorge.net?

Thanks.

Depending on the file format you may prefer foobar2000. It can write ReplayGain tags.

MP3Gain applies changes directly to each data block in an MP3 file. The modified file then plays as such on any device. (The changes can be reversed if required.)

Badge +3

Thanks for that info Ken. Much appreciated.

Hi Ken and thank you for your reply. What exactly is the main purpose of the site “mp3Tag”? Is it associated with what I’m trying to accomplish (ie: equalize the volume of songs on my Sonos playlists)?

See the below two YT video …

These couple of videos show users normalising their tracks - which basically adds the tags to the tracks to tell a player at what volume to play the audio - these tags are readable by Sonos according to the linked thread mentioned earlier and mp3Tag software allows you to edit/batch-edit (or remove) the generated tags.

It’s not something I choose to do myself, as I tend to listen to tracks as they were intended, but I hope the information in the videos assist.

Badge +3

Hi Ken and thank you for your reply. What exactly is the main purpose of the site “mp3Tag”? Is it associated with what I’m trying to accomplish (ie: equalize the volume of songs on my Sonos playlists)?

Perhaps see the reply/answer from Sonos Staff in this thread…

A very good tag editor that’s perhaps worth exploring is mp3Tag, but the choice of tag-editing software is entirely upto you. I’m not associated to the software, other than I occasionally use it myself.