Dropbox

• 8 February 2015
  • 19 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +1
Stream from ones Dropbox account? Not sure if your developers are aware, but cloud storage is a big thing now-a-days. Be nice to use my cloud stored music without having to keep my PC on. Ya's got anything like that?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

19 replies

+1 for this! Unfortunately when searching it looks like this wish is quite old and no response from Sonos 😞
I agree, DropBox integration would be awesome!
I'm trying hard to understand why, with the large number of streaming services available on Sonos, each with millions of searchable tracks instantly available, anyone would want to use a Dropbox like service, which requires you to manage all those tracks yourself. Seems like a huge step backwards to me...
That said, you do know that it's simple enough to accomplish, right? Just need a copy of Bubbleupnp on an Android device. It can get files from Dropbox or Google drive, and play them to Sonos via UPnP. There's probably an equivalent app foe iOS.
That's a great suggestion, chicks.

I think that one reason people are interested in this is that with streaming services, there's no guarantee that the exact song or album you want will always be available on the streaming service you choose. With TV & movies, there's much less replay value.

And perhaps it's just us "old" people that really care about this sort of thing.

However, instead of Dropbox, you can upload all of your music to Google Play Music.
I had someone share some mp3 files with me via dropbox and I would love to be able to play these on Sonos rather than just on my PC or phone. Because it's a shared files I can't really save the music to my computer so the sync with Dropbox would be great. Any idea on when this will happen?
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
I had someone share some mp3 files with me via dropbox and I would love to be able to play these on Sonos rather than just on my PC or phone. Because it's a shared files I can't really save the music to my computer so the sync with Dropbox would be great. Any idea on when this will happen?

Yes

Never
I'm trying hard to understand why, with the large number of streaming services available on Sonos, each with millions of searchable tracks instantly available, anyone would want to use a Dropbox like service, which requires you to manage all those tracks yourself. Seems like a huge step backwards to me...

If you own music that isn't available via streaming services... Also, for any music makers out there who store their creations and collaboration in the cloud before publishing, licensing and distrib. Or folks who recorded a lecture on their phone or any number of cases where the content is not available via streaming. millions of em.

🙂
Userlevel 4
Badge +6
What if you just turn on your computer??
the whole point is to not have to use my computer (which is a pain to take out, plug in, wait for it to warm up etc., etc. ) The point for sonos for me is to be able to go from my phone (which is always on) & play from there. but I've more music than fits onto my phone. I've got loads of CDs/vinyl which I've ripped to a file in Drop Box so I can listen across devices. Sadly not via Sonos
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
The best bet for all of this is a NAS drive which can also be set to Sync with Dropbox, Onedive, Google etc. That way you have a music source not dependent on the internet and a local back up for all you music and the rest of your PC files too. A good NAS/My Clouds with 2TB storage can be had for circa £100.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Also you can create a Google Play Music account and upload up to 50,000 tracks for free.

Then you can set that as a Music Service.

Dropbox isn't a music service

There is no chance whatsoever with DropBox in it's present guise that you will ever be able to officially access music files on DropBox (the answer as to why is only a few posts above where somebody ahs admitted a "friend" has shared mp3 files with him and he'd like to play them - That is ILLEGAL).

So stop wasting your energy in wishing for this "feature" it will not happen.
Userlevel 2
There is no chance whatsoever with DropBox in it's present guise that you will ever be able to officially access music files on DropBox (the answer as to why is only a few posts above where somebody ahs admitted a "friend" has shared mp3 files with him and he'd like to play them - That is ILLEGAL).

You don't know that. Maybe he and his friends produce their own music. Uninformed, potentially defamatory comments like this are detrimental to the discussion.

In my case, my iTunes music library sits in my Dropbox folder and not my Mac's local "Music" folder. It would be great to be able to access this independently of whether my Mac is on or off, by simply having Sonos integrate with Dropbox like so many other (non-music) services do for their sync and stream operations.

Adding Dropbox integration would be highly-valuable to users such as myself who have iTunes libraries synced between devices that they actively manage themselves. I use streaming services like Spotify as well, but not everything in my library is available there, and where it is, not always at the sound quality desired.
I wonder if the Plex & Sonos Integration plus the Plex & Dropbox integration allows us to effectively leverage "music on Dropbox played via Sonos (via Plex)".

https://support.plex.tv/articles/201342573-cloud-sync-storage-provider-setup/
https://www.plex.tv/apps/streaming-devices/sonos/

😃
Also you can create a Google Play Music account and upload up to 50,000 tracks for free.

Then you can set that as a Music Service.

Dropbox isn't a music service

So stop wasting your energy in wishing for this "feature" it will not happen.

Uh....this is quite myopic. I write music and play it with other musicians. I record our practices and each week put them on DropBox so that we can all access them. I would like to play them through Sonos. This is the kind of thing that "old technology" (including my Play:5) would support via a simple wired input. I want to play files I LITERALLY CREATED AND OWN on a device I also physically own but unfortunately there is the intermediary of commercially licensed software with all sorts of restrictions. This is a shame. Also as a musician, I periodically will go into the studio with people converging from all over the country and we may improvise or record studio tracks that need mixing and further production. Dropbox is intended for this kind of file exchange. I'd like to be able to listen to it via Sonos - this is after all the brand promise, that you can listen to music from your phone, not set up scripts to duplicate your DB files to a NAS or some other equally convoluted solution. I can't recall ever "sharing" a copyrighted music file using Dropbox.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
I haven't tried to do sharing from DropBox but some of the suggestions above look like possibilities.

If nothing else try mounting your DropBox folder to your computer's file system and then share that mounted directory using Samba or the Microsoft equivalent. Select it from your Sonos as a Music Library and it is likely it will play. I have done that for other sources, not DropBox though.
I haven't tried to do sharing from DropBox but some of the suggestions above look like possibilities.

If nothing else try mounting your DropBox folder to your computer's file system and then share that mounted directory using Samba or the Microsoft equivalent. Select it from your Sonos as a Music Library and it is likely it will play. I have done that for other sources, not DropBox though.

This is not the need or the question asked. We want native streaming support for DB.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Streaming music over the internet isn't a technical issue, it is a legal issue. The laws are varied (by geo) and complex, and require a serious commitment from the cloud provider (Dropbox in this case). They might have enough lawyers to do this, but as they have no additional licensing revenue model (unlike Groove [rip] or Amazon Music for example) it makes little sense for them. Third party solutions apparently exist to fill this perceived feature gap, and those third parties take the legal risk of doing this.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
This is not the need or the question asked. We want native streaming support for DB.

Sorry, was trying to suggest something that would work for you now.

For the solution you want you'd need to contact DropBox and send them this link so they can get started working with Sonos to make this happen. I didn't see a response from Sonos to your original post so it may have been missed the original question.

https://developer.sonos.com