Answered

Does Sonos save any music files, and if so, where?

• 14 February 2020
  • 4 replies

Badge

I am new to streaming services and to Sonos , and I am a bit confused. If I add an album or a song to MySonos, is it physically saved on my system? And if so, where would it be saved, and can I tell how much storage it is using?

I have essentially the same question about Amazon Unlimited (what happens when I download?) but I haven’t been able to figure out where I can ask it.

Thanks!

icon

Best answer by Stanley_4 14 February 2020, 06:16

Sonos devices do not save music, aside from a small buffer while playing.

If you want local music storage for music you own (not just stream) you can add a Music Library on any networked file sharing device you have that supports the SMB v1 protocols.

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Sonos devices do not save music, aside from a small buffer while playing.

If you want local music storage for music you own (not just stream) you can add a Music Library on any networked file sharing device you have that supports the SMB v1 protocols.

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

As I understand the playlist you make on the Sonos app are also saved on the devices.

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

The Play Lists are saved on the Players, however they are nothing more than a list of pointers to where the music resides.

@Stanley_4 is correct. Sonos playlists are stored on the players, not the controllers. And as he says, no music files are stored anywhere on the Sonos system.